Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL's General Manager Miguel Southwell fired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL's General Manager Miguel Southwell fired

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
ATL is so large because it is the de facto "Capitol" of the South, a large catchment area with relatively few possible other airports to compete with.
Don't say that a loud, neighboring states may cutoff your drinking water. Why the hassle of filing for emergency hearing to get water released.

All I am saying don't put 100 lb crap in 10 lb bag.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
Don't say that a loud, neighboring states may cutoff your drinking water. Why the hassle of filing for emergency hearing to get water released.

All I am saying don't put 100 lb crap in 10 lb bag.
By that "logic", LA should be a small town.

Like I said, you seem super unhappy with where you live. You have the power to change your situation by moving.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by avcritic
Don't say that a loud, neighboring states may cutoff your drinking water. Why the hassle of filing for emergency hearing to get water released. ...
Nope.

The regional water skirmish is between GA, Al and FL. And "we" have the high ground in this one.

Kind of absurd that it exists when one looks at a rainfall map of the US and sees the region in question is right behind the Pacfic NW in rainfall.

Back on topic, this does show how disfunctional gov can be down here. The only reason why ATL projects get done is the vast amount of money that gets funnelled into "friends and family" of local politicos.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:54 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

So the new GM will be on toilet duty?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Fired ATL General Manager Miguel Southwell threatens legal action

Breaking news:
The former head of the Atlanta airport, fired by Mayor Kasim Reed two weeks ago, has hired a law firm known for wrongful termination suits and whistleblower cases.

Miguel Southwell, who was general manager of Hartsfield-Jackson International, retained Parks Chesin & Walbert to represent him, according to a letter to Reed’s office from attorney Lee Parks.

The letter says Southwell was told his dismissal was due to recent long lines at the airport. But it suggests the mayor’s office wanted more control over contracts to be awarded during an upcoming wave of construction and remodeling projects.

“It is inexplicable that you would claim that the long lines at the security check points were the reason for Mr. Southwell’s termination when you knew the solution (which was sent to you for review) was days away from implementation,” the letter said. “Is it a coincidence that the termination came on the eve of the award of some of the most lucrative contracts in the airport’s long and difficult history of patronage-based awards?”
Link to the rest of the very juicy article: AJC.com: Fired Atlanta airport exec threatens legal action (7:47 p.m. Friday, June 3, 2016)
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The hub and spoke model works very well. You can't fly to every city from every city. But I do believe that hubs should be moved to less congested areas and just have enough nonstop flights to meet the local demand of high O/D cities. Basically, if you can fill an aircraft to a city based on local O/D alone then it should be operated. If not, send the traffic through a hub.
"If you can fill an aircraft"? What does that mean? What size of aircraft? At what frequency? And at what price? I'd be glad, for a consulting fee, to instruct DL on how to fill an aircraft between almost any pair of cities. Unfortunately, my strategy won't be profitable.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am a bit confused. This thread is about???

* TSA and their government process

* Hub airports - good or bad

* Mayor fires ATL Manager
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
As to ATL, take a map sometime and draw a box which has Miami, Boston, Minneapolis and San Antonio as its corners. ATL is pretty close to the center, and within this box will be about 250 million people.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I am a bit confused. This thread is about???

* TSA and their government process

* Hub airports - good or bad

* Mayor fires ATL Manager
D. All of the above
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Kasim Reed gets even nastier:
"The fact of the matter is this. Miguel Southwell is fortunate that I don't destroy his career,” [Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed] said. “What I’ve been trying to do was to allow him to leave with dignity.”

Reed wouldn't give up any goods, but proclaimed Southwell would lose any lawsuit. “Why are all of these claims being made now that he’s unemployed? If he was a person who was honorable and had the level of dignity that a leader in my department has, if he felt these things, he should have resigned or said something about it,” Reed said.

He then accused Southwell of now trying to extort the city. "A whistleblower actually says something while they’re an employee. That’s what whistleblowers do. A person who’s trying to extort an organization tries to make these claims because they know you’ll cover it well,” Reed told Diamant. “Miguel, an unemployed man, who just built a massive house in the city of Atlanta, has to figure out how he's going to pick his career up from rubble,”
Link to the full article and video clip: WSB-TV: Mayor Reed on fired airport GM: ‘He's fortunate I don't destroy his career' (Updated: Jun 10, 2016 - 3:59 AM)
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I don't think it is nasty. Suing because you got fired is pretty pathetic. Have some dignity.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:17 pm

I don't think it is nasty. Suing because you got fired is pretty pathetic. Have some dignity.
Reed appears to be mad because someone is shining a light on his shenanigans. Like I said previously, Kasim Reed has never done anything that was not in the best interest of Kasim Reed.

I wonder what will happen once the feds turn their attention back to GA.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fired airport GM Miguel Southwell demands Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed retract comments

The attorney representing the former general manager at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport has sent a letter to Mayor Kasim Reed demanding the mayor retract statements he called "defamatory.".....The letter in it's entirety is provided below:

Dear Mayor Reed:

As you know, this law firm represents Miguel Southwell. Several media outlets covered the bizarre comments you made about Mr. Southwell yesterday, including: "If he continues down this path, I'm going to make public why he was fired. He knows that not only could I have fired him, I could have pressed charges against him." We also understand that you made other unreported comments about Mr. Southwell implying that he left the Miami Airport under a cloud.

You are well aware that Mr. Southwell has not committed a crime, nor has he done anything that would justify termination for cause in Atlanta, Miami or anywhere else. Your statements have no basis in fact and were made in a knowing and malicious attempt to destroy our client's reputation and livelihood. As you have said many times, you are not afraid of litigation, so go ahead and make known your alleged reason for firing Mr. Southwell and we will let a jury judge your credibility.

In the meantime, demand is made under O.C.G.A 51-5-11 that you publicly retract these false and defamatory statements within seven (7) days of the date of this letter. The retraction must be effected "in as conspicuous and public a manner" as the slanderous statements themselves. O.C.G.A. 51-5-11(b)(1)(B). Your failure to do so exposes you personally to punitive damages.

Very truly yours,

J. Matthew Maguire, Jr.
Link to the full article: azfamily.com: Fired airport GM demands Atlanta mayor retract comments
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
He won't get his job back. That's why he got fired. He will never work at airports again. Because of this, those passengers is complaining about a long lines at security checkpoints. That's a problem.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Reed appears to be mad because someone is shining a light on his shenanigans. Like I said previously, Kasim Reed has never done anything that was not in the best interest of Kasim Reed.

I wonder what will happen once the feds turn their attention back to GA.
And the GM did things that weren't in his best interests? Please. I'm not saying he is lying, but people that only decide to blow the whistle after they are fired shouldn't be taken seriously.

As for GA, they typically score around the median on measures of corruption. There may be something there, but it ain't prosecuted. My guess? More than a fair bit of the cries of corruption are racially motivated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.