Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Now that Singapore is history what's the best use of a global?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Manila? Sydney? Shanghai? I imagine either of those have a better chance of clearing than South Africa though I suppose you could do South Africa through Amsterdam if you can get an agent who can apply a global upgrade certificate to KLM. Or speaking of KLM, would say Chicago/Toronto–Amsterdam–Singapore work?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
What defines best? Shouldn’t desired destination be one of the key drivers in the decision? So, if your preferred destination is some country in Europe, I would say none of your destinations would be at the top of the list.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cre95
What defines best? Shouldn’t desired destination be one of the key drivers in the decision? So, if your preferred destination is some country in Europe, I would say none of your destinations would be at the top of the list.
Singapore was the previous winner for “most hours in Delta One for a single GUC”.

Delta is down to a single fifth freedom route, so ATL-ICN-MNL will be right up there now.

Otherwise, routes to Amsterdam connecting onto a KLM flight that is upgradable will be the new best use, like LAX-AMS-JNB.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by icanneverflyenough
Or speaking of KLM, would say Chicago/Toronto–Amsterdam–Singapore work?
It is impossible to book a DL-marketed, KL-operated flight to Southeast or East Asia, so GUCs would require booking expensive YBM fares.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
What about something like GRU-ATL-PVG? That would only require 1 GUC, right?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: VA-SLV, QF-GLD, DL-PM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by aacar
What about something like GRU-ATL-PVG? That would only require 1 GUC, right?
If the routing is a published fare and you can book it on one ticket, yes.

Otherwise you could go a long way with this, like SYD-LAX-JFK-ATL-ICN-MNL. But I doubt you can book that.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

What defines best?
Longest flights or most MQMs. That kind of thing. I just feel like I'm wasting a global if I redeem for a 6 1/2 hour flight to LHR or CDG from JFK.
AANYC1981 and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ajggiant
It is impossible to book a DL-marketed, KL-operated flight to Southeast or East Asia, so GUCs would require booking expensive YBM fares.
Recognizing that your ultimate point still stands—there are DL-marketed, KL-operated flight to Southeast or East Asia, they are just also expensive YBM fares. This matters a little because the upgrade can book into Z this way instead of O.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: VA-SLV, QF-GLD, DL-PM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by SamOF
there are DL-marketed, KL-operated flight to Southeast or East Asia,
You can book a flight EU-Asia on KLM, but DL codeshare? I can't find any examples...
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
​​​​​

Longest flights or most MQMs. That kind of thing. I just feel like I'm wasting a global if I redeem for a 6 1/2 hour flight to LHR or CDG from JFK.
The best are the ones where they clear and you don't need to be in Y
emrdoc likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Fly westbound to China or Japan or Australia or something?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BenA
Singapore was the previous winner for “most hours in Delta One for a single GUC”.

Delta is down to a single fifth freedom route, so ATL-ICN-MNL will be right up there now.

Otherwise, routes to Amsterdam connecting onto a KLM flight that is upgradable will be the new best use, like LAX-AMS-JNB.
What a shame that I won't be able to take advantage of that. I wish I was pursuing Diamond status earlier!
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Fly westbound to China or Japan or Australia or something?
Out of Seattle, I'm assuming it'll either be PEK or PVG for the single longest flight in D1 with one GUC? Anything longer?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
Out of Seattle, I'm assuming it'll either be PEK or PVG for the single longest flight in D1 with one GUC? Anything longer?
I dont know the rules as good as others do when it comes to KLM, Virgin Atlantic, and Air France. I thought I read that globals could now be used on Korean Air or China Eastern but maybe I'm imagining that...but, I think on 100% Delta metal the longest flights are:

LAX to SYD?
ATL or anywhere to ATL to JNB
SEA to PVG
DTW to PVG or DTW to NRT/ICN to MNL

What am I missing? I guess for mixed metal it has to be KLM say Delta to AMS and then KLM to South Africa since everyone says KLM to Asia from AMS is impossible?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
HNL-ATL-JNB is the longest all D1 route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.