Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub JFK vs Amex Centurion Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nrr
If you arrive in JFK from NCE you first have to clear CBP which puts you landside; unless you are connecting in JFK, you would have to go through TSA security before you could enter CL.
I've been told by DL staff (and did it once at MSP when my luggage was arriving on the next flight and I wanted to wait in the SC) that if you have a same day boarding pass, you can go airside at the destination airport but PreCheck won't be honored if it shows on the boarding pass.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been told by DL staff (and did it once at MSP when my luggage was arriving on the next flight and I wanted to wait in the SC) that if you have a same day boarding pass, you can go airside at the destination airport but PreCheck won't be honored if it shows on the boarding pass.
Super interesting. Never heard of that. This works even if the departure airport isn’t the same as the one you’re at?
Old May 16, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Super interesting. Never heard of that. This works even if the departure airport isn’t the same as the one you’re at?
Yeah. I was flying XXX-MSP, had arrived in MSP, and was already landside. I was then permitted to go airside again, although without PreCheck benefits. This was before CLEAR came to MSP, so I don't know whether I would have been able to cut to the front of the line. I was surprised too and had initially asked for a gate pass, but the DL employee insisted that this would not be necessary and it worked beautifully, with no argument from anyone.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Reminder that CL can only be accessed within 3 hours of departure which is very strictly enforced at JFK.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by seattleBH
Reminder that CL can only be accessed within 3 hours of departure which is very strictly enforced at JFK.
The applies if you're originating that day at JFK and don't have a Centurion card. If it's a same day connection, more than three hours is OK as is the case regardless for any Centurion cardholder who can get to the door of the CL. If one has *only* a Plat card and an overnight connection, I don't know whether you'd be able to use the CL upon arrival (and certainly the next day, especially at T-3).
Old May 16, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seattleBH
A note/question on this. When you scan your connecting BP can Amex see you had and inbound flight? I ask because when I arrived last week at JFK I had almost a 4 hour transfer and the inbound was early beyond that. I presented only my outbound BP and was admitted without question. I figured I would have to also present the inbound given it was much more than 3 hours but was never asked. Just curious.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

If the Clubhouse is open to its full potential, it would be my #1 choice but it’s also the farthest from the Delta gates as it’s on the A side. Centurion Lounge is in the center of the terminal closer to the A side, SC is midway down the B concourse closest to the Delta gates.
Do we get Virgin Clubhouse access flying Delta J? I booked using Virgin points. Also, is the clubhouse better than the CL?
Old May 16, 2021, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by googs185
Do we get Virgin Clubhouse access flying Delta J? I booked using Virgin points. Also, is the clubhouse better than the CL?
IIRC the VS Clubhouse had been available to certain DL passengers (business class?) on certain routes (to/from LHR). COVID-19 might have changed this.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
A note/question on this. When you scan your connecting BP can Amex see you had and inbound flight? I ask because when I arrived last week at JFK I had almost a 4 hour transfer and the inbound was early beyond that. I presented only my outbound BP and was admitted without question. I figured I would have to also present the inbound given it was much more than 3 hours but was never asked. Just curious.
I have been asked for my inbound boarding pass at LAS and CLT in these cases.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Does Amex make exceptions for pax planning to standby for an earlier flt. but are booked on a flt. beyond the 3 hr limit? Before they imposed the 3 hour rule, I entered the lounge 5 hours before my flt. but was planning to standby for flt within 2 hours of entry.
Don't airlines (still) issue boarding cards noting standby request?
[Pax can try to "game" the system by invoking standby status when they're not.]
Old May 17, 2021, 1:03 am

Programs: DL DM
IIRC the VS Clubhouse had been available to certain DL passengers (business class?) on certain routes (to/from LHR). COVID-19 might have changed this.
Per Delta's website, it is for flights to/from the UK (so for JFK, both LHR and EDI would apply). Business class would get you in, along with having Diamond or Platinum status and flying to the UK. Gold Medallions get access to Virgin's US clubhouses, but not the one at LHR.

Per Virgin's website, the JFK Clubhouse is currently closed, with no opening date listed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
Does Amex make exceptions for pax planning to standby for an earlier flt. but are booked on a flt. beyond the 3 hr limit? Before they imposed the 3 hour rule, I entered the lounge 5 hours before my flt. but was planning to standby for flt within 2 hours of entry.
Don't airlines (still) issue boarding cards noting standby request?
[Pax can try to "game" the system by invoking standby status when they're not.]
The CL access policy clearly says you need a boarding pass with a confirmed seat and that a standby boarding pass isn't sufficient. I remember in the earlier days of basic economy this created a bit of confusion because at a couple lounges they thought, no seat number = standby, though they eventually got used to it as BE became more common.
Old May 17, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL-DM(2MM); AA-PLT(2MM); Marriott Bonvoy(Titanium); Hilton(Gold)
If you're traveling ONLY FROM NCE TO JFK, note that the CL cannot be used as an arrivals lounge unless you have a Centurion card. It's fine if you have a connecting flight on any airline. [This rule was implemented to ease crowding in CLs.}
We'll be connecting.on to AUS, so CL access should be ok, except I'll have to pay $50(?) for my wife to enter. Would prefer the VA lounge, since it might be near our AUS departure gate but, as has been mentioned earlier 1) it may not be open, and 2) restricted to J flyers to/from the UK. So, we'll see.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arkangel
We'll be connecting.on to AUS, so CL access should be ok, except I'll have to pay $50(?) for my wife to enter. Would prefer the VA lounge, since it might be near our AUS departure gate but, as has been mentioned earlier 1) it may not be open, and 2) restricted to J flyers to/from the UK. So, we'll see.
How would you be accessing the Centurion Lounge?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Definitely go to the AMEX club. Excellent food and top shelf complimentary bar. Bronx ale on draft was one of the best microbrews I've ever had.

If the weather is nice, save some time for the SkyDeck at the T4 SkyClub.
cmd320 and Intl359Widget like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.