Wiki Posts
Search

Now in LA, Left my Passport in MSP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022 | 9:39 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Seems like Dash is your answer ... you have days to figure this out at least, I had a similar situation years ago but didn't have the luxury of as much time to get it resolved.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 9:53 am
15 Years on Site

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I was able to walk into the Federal building on Wilshire with no appointment and have my passport re-issued that same day. I don't know if they are open today since Christmas occurred on a Sunday...
obscure2k and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 9:57 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by audidudi
I hadn’t heard of DASH but that sure sounds like your solution!
I used to use Delta DASH a lot in the 1980s and 1990s when I worked in downtown DC and needed to get something to some one same day. It was an extremely good service then.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 9:59 am
30 Countries Visited5M15 Years on Site

Ups and FedEx are a problem because today is a federal holiday, I have used dash and it was great, about 100, picked the flight, my wife took the documents to the airport and one of our kids picked up so we didn’t use the part of the service, plus one less thing to go wrong.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 10:19 am
15 Years on Site

Had no idea DASH existed. That's pretty amazing.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 10:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
I once needed my passport FedExed to me at my hotel after forgetting it at home (although the stakes were much lower, without it I wouldn't have gotten to gain entry to tour a specific facility) but the address on the hotel's website was written in a weird format (in retrospect I realized they had put a line break in the wrong place, so the word "north" was not a modifier suffix on the street name but a prefix on the city name) so it got "lost" for the better part of a day until it finally got sorted out over the course of multiple phone calls to FedEx (frustrating because even if the address wasn't exactly correct, there was only one of the hotel name in the area).

All of this to say that I would paranoid about my passport being IRROPed on its way to me, so if the option remained, I would probably choose to split off from the rest of the party, fly to MSP on a separate ticket, and see if DL would rebook the original ticket from there under the circumstances.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M15 Years on Site

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Delta Dash would definitely be the way to go. OP can get it tonight if someone can drop it off at MSP.

https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/catalog/products/Dash

BOOK NEW SHIPMENT
Parcel Less than 16 oz.

ebayj, Statman, lindros2 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 11:31 am
30 Countries Visited500k10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by drjeffrock
I had a similar situation a few years ago. I was able to walk into the Federal building on Wilshire with no appointment and have my passport re-issued that same day. I don't know if they are open today since Christmas occurred on a Sunday...
Fyi these types of same-day Passport Agency services are unfortunately no longer so readily available as they were prior to the pandemic; I would not count on that as a viable option unless it is a life-or-death type emergency, and even then it might take a few days to sort out. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../get-fast.html And as others have pointed out today is indeed a federal holiday.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M15 Years on Site

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Fyi these types of same-day Passport Agency services are unfortunately no longer so readily available as they were prior to the pandemic;
Not that this helps OP but the Denver Passport Office can issue same day passports if you are departing same or next day. I got my new passport a few weeks ago and I overheard others with same day flights waiting for their new passports.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 11:50 am
30 Countries Visited500k10 Years on Site

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not that this helps OP but the Denver Passport Office can issue same day passports if you are departing same or next day. I got my new passport a few weeks ago and I overheard others with same day flights waiting for their new passports.
Yes, I didn't mean to suggest it's impossible, it's just not something I would count on as being available in the manner that it used to be, so DASH seems much more promising to me. YMMV of course.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 2:58 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SFO777
I got a new one in Denver in 30 minutes once ​​​​​​​. Came to pick up a 'next day' passport, and they had left off the suffix from my name. Sorted me out a new one in 30 mins.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 3:11 pm
10 Countries Visited100k15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by spudley007
Delta Dash is definitely the answer. Below is the website. Several years ago I was given tickets to a football game and was sent them via Delta Dash...worked perfectly! I don't know all the ins and outs, but did a dummy booking using the website below. You basically pick the flight the passport needs to take, pack it in a box, and away it goes. I did the airport option last time, and they were waiting for me in FLL (didn't do delivery to my home...not even sure if that was a thing back then). Good luck, but this seems to be a viable option!

https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/
Cool service. Something new to learn around here all the time!
Duke787 and bloc0102 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 5:06 pm
40 Countries Visited1M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
would love to hear how this story ends.
DASH sounds amazing - I've driven by their spot in ATL (South Terminal as you make the final turn towards terminal dropoff) but never used it...
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 6:30 pm
50 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can't checkin for the domestic segment without the passport.
You can if you have the passport number and expiration date; the question is can you board the domestic segment.
MSPeconomist and bloc0102 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022 | 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Cool service. Something new to learn around here all the time!
+1. Never heard of it before but cool to learn about. Poked around a little bit, interesting it seems like the pricing for the under 16oz is the same whether it's going JFK - RDU or JFK - LAX

Will keep it in the back of my mind in the event I ever face a similar dilemma as OP
trooper, wrp96, bloc0102 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.