Wiki Posts
Search

DL IT outage - CrowdStrike - July 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryw
Will be interesting to see how much this cascades throughout the day. I’m booked on a 9:30pm flight from Atlanta to the west coast - still scheduled for now, but I’ll be watching to see how affected that last bank of domestic flights will be.

I’m assuming the ATL experience will be more hectic than usual today!
I'd be surprised if that isn't canceled, considering how much is delayed and crew going to be displaced. Wonder how this impacts crew duty time, if everyone will be timing out towards the end of the day or did the global ground stop also stop the duty timer?
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: NW GE
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Depends on the regional. SkyWest seems unaffected. Endeavor very affected.
was at 10ish cdt and given reaso “crew availability” so I don’t think it’s related to todays issue
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:10 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
App is barely working today. Web site seems better, but I don't know if I would even try making new bookings today.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
I'd be surprised if that isn't canceled, considering how much is delayed and crew going to be displaced. Wonder how this impacts crew duty time, if everyone will be timing out towards the end of the day or did the global ground stop also stop the duty timer?
Can ATL operate 24/7 other than CBP? Is there a curfew for takeoffs and/or landings? Is TSA staffed 24/7? I assume CBP and TSA can't be forced to work beyond their scheduled hours, right?
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, there is a travel waiver in effect on DL (fare differences waived for changes through July 24th) -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...obal-it-outage
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM
What a nightmare it must be traveling today! Frustration must be high at all airports for everyone. Hope everyone gets through the day. People who aren't traveling are affected as well. Scary.
pbjag likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:21 am
VND

Evening TATL

Interesting that for this evening TATL, most DL-operated flights to CDG/AMS/MXP/FCO from JFK/ATL have been cancelled, while LHR flights are still scheduled (DL 1/3 and 30/32/36)
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
MSP was a mess this morning, most of the kiosks weren't working, huge lines just to use a kiosk. I went to curbside which hardly had a line. Security was swift with Pre, Skyclub was able to use hand scanners to admit people.

Our flight left 1.5 hours late, thankfully they grabbed our plane from a hangar and all crew was ready to go. Even the PA system was down, so the captain walked the gate area to give an update.

Surprisingly most customers were pretty calm, and applause erupted when our plane was towed to the gate.
MSPeconomist and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:25 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can ATL operate 24/7 other than CBP? Is there a curfew for takeoffs and/or landings? Is TSA staffed 24/7? I assume CBP and TSA can't be forced to work beyond their scheduled hours, right?
ATL is a 27/7 airport except for CBP. TSA is there 24 hours at the main checkpoint.

There is no curfew… in fact, there’s a 767 cargo plane that routinely deploys its flaps and spoilers near my house around 3:30/4a when landing to the west that I wish I could get a curfew on.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Its an operational issue - they should be providing room/meals etc.
I will let them know about it. Only DL flights were canceled for the US carrier from ICN. UA flight to SFO and AA flight to DFW was delayed.
Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: DL 3MM, AA 0.0 (US .975), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Nurburgring in 8:29
Managed to log in on a browser but still can't do OLCI for tomorrow.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
The website comes up fine on the laptop. I can see one option: a 7.5 hour one-stopper through DTW, vs my original 2-hour N/S LGA-BNA. Lousy trade. Source @ DL tells me that the app is up but intermittent due to demand. Phone help has 9-hour wait. My flt is still showing on time but flightaware has the inbound 3 flts earlier 2.5 hours late, and the concern then become crew availability.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:43 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
We’ll see how the day shakes out, but DL appears disproportionately hit as compared to AA and UA. They all had similar ground stop timing; AA got rid of theirs maybe 1 hr before DL and UA.

Old Jul 19, 2024, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes it's a 24/7 airport. Reduced staffing but... there is always one checkpoint open

I'd just change my LAX to ATL this afternoon to tomorrow but.. you can't do it online since I used a RUC to upgrade.... Sigh!
Old Jul 19, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Cool

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Yes it's a 24/7 airport. Reduced staffing but... there is always one checkpoint open

I'd just change my LAX to ATL this afternoon to tomorrow but.. you can't do it online since I used a RUC to upgrade.... Sigh!
It's the largest airport in the world so there'll be people there 24/7. However, many of them will be sleeping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.