Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL IT outage - CrowdStrike - July 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM
Watching all of this happen in slow motion is absolutely astounding. For years I have loved how efficiently Delta runs things with very high operational stability. Showed up for my 9:20pm flight from SLC to MSP Sunday night just to have it cancel out of nowhere 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure (suddenly it became a SLC-ATL flight). Rescheduled to this morning on SLC-BOI-MSP. Plane arrived at 8am in SLC but departure to BOI delayed until 9:45. Then found out it was delayed to 10:28am while waiting for 1 pilot to arrive from ATL. Sat on the plane further until 11:06am right now where we are waiting in line to depart. Even the gate agents were confused about everything going on.

Communication has sucked from Delta throughout. The app was useless in trying to find alternative flights let alone trying to see if I can extend my stay. Wait times to speak to someone are awful. 5 days removed from the original problem and this feels like how travel would be on a LCC, not a "world class" carrier.

I really hope they get their crap together soon. I'm amazed at the volume of people put out by this debacle.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by phatpaw
Watching all of this happen in slow motion is absolutely astounding. For years I have loved how efficiently Delta runs things with very high operational stability. Showed up for my 9:20pm flight from SLC to MSP Sunday night just to have it cancel out of nowhere 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure (suddenly it became a SLC-ATL flight). Rescheduled to this morning on SLC-BOI-MSP. Plane arrived at 8am in SLC but departure to BOI delayed until 9:45. Then found out it was delayed to 10:28am while waiting for 1 pilot to arrive from ATL. Sat on the plane further until 11:06am right now where we are waiting in line to depart. Even the gate agents were confused about everything going on.

Communication has sucked from Delta throughout. The app was useless in trying to find alternative flights let alone trying to see if I can extend my stay. Wait times to speak to someone are awful. 5 days removed from the original problem and this feels like how travel would be on a LCC, not a "world class" carrier.

I really hope they get their crap together soon. I'm amazed at the volume of people put out by this debacle.
your experience speaks of many thousands, and is well articulated. Such a shocking and drastic change from an airline we have to come to depend and rely on!
happydad100 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by HBlurb
Have to say what gets me the most is the "premium airline" stuff, Ed never speaks to Wall Street without referencing this. The technology meltdown aside, a huge number of front line people are new since the pandemic and my impression as a 2 million miler is that no one told them what it means to be premium. Recently flew up front on a 2 hour flight with only one service and no weather issues, another seated in 1B where a FA refused me the space for my bag in the front closet only to open it halfway through the flight and reveal an empty compartment except her things. I have had lost baggage issues with surly employees, drinks not refilled up front and international J flights with invisible FAs after the first meal service. Skymiles are, of course, the least valuable airline currancy and for the first time, I am flying paid J to Europe later this summer on Star Aliance because the pursuit of Diamond at $28k annual spend is out of reach. This is not a rant, it is not better elsewhere and might be worse. Nevertheless this is not "premium" this is "average".
Totally my experience (just under 4000 miles short of hitting 2 million miles). There are of course exceptions, but on board service both up front and in the rear is nothing like it was pre-pandemic. Every once in a while up front I'll see a flight attendant regularly checking on passengers (refills, etc.) but it's now usually back to the jump seat once done with the initial service. It used to be good service was the norm, now it's the exception.

Dave
​​​
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Is it still fair to say that I'm pretty safe flying a Republic-operated Delta Connection flight on Thursday? Seemed like their cancelations yesterday were a blip and weather-related due to thunderstorms in the Northeast... they were mostly spared the whole IT mess, right?
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
Waiver extended until Sunday July 28th. Rebooked flights by Aug 4th
WOW!

Much better than doing it a day at a time.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well there ya go... now we know the timeline for at least how long Delta expects this clusterf**k to continue.

Certainly instills zero confidence in the company and especially leadership... and makes me extremely uneasy about my travel starting middle of next week.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're making alternative plans, don't forget about all the pieces. For example, local media reported that their were no rental cars at MSP and someone was interviewed who said that there weren't even any U-Hauls or hardware store rental trucks either. I don't know whether this was just at the airport or included the downtown car rental agency offices too.

OTOH, hotels near the airport were reported to be available, including a few for under $100 per night.
photojojo, becks1 and 32LatT10 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta's flight cancellation rate appears to have significantly slowed in the past few hours. They've only canceled a handful since noon Eastern. Hopefully the ship has been righted. Will of course take days for the baggage and pax backlog to clear.
wrp96, DrMilano, Ascii and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
I am noticing major improvements on the routes I've been monitoring due to my travel plans this week. On one route to ATL, 7/11 flights were canceled yesterday, with the other 4 completed between 2 and 6 hours late. Today, they've already completed 4 flights on time, with only 2 canceled so far, and the rest delayed less than two hours.

Still terrible, but starting to see some light.
wrp96 and 32LatT10 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Delta's flight cancellation rate appears to have significantly slowed in the past few hours. They've only canceled a handful since noon Eastern. Hopefully the ship has been righted. Will of course take days for the baggage and pax backlog to clear.
Originally Posted by Ascii
I am noticing major improvements on the routes I've been monitoring due to my travel plans this week. On one route to ATL, 7/11 flights were canceled yesterday, with the other 4 completed between 2 and 6 hours late. Today, they've already completed 4 flights on time, with only 2 canceled so far, and the rest delayed less than two hours.

Still terrible, but starting to see some light.
467 cancels as of 3 PM Eastern. It was 549 at 5 AM Monday. Let's hope this trend holds.
Ascii likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 1:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Nice, but the waiver does not appear to include the option of cancelling and receiving a refund for DL flights between now and Sunday. The waiver only seems to be applicable if your flight is cancelled or significantly delayed. So, for example, if I have DL flights on Friday, I have no opportunity to cancel now, receive a refund, and book another airline for that day. I can only wait and hope my Friday flights are not cancelled/delayed and then, if they are cancelled/delayed, look for another airline at that time. Good luck with that.
lowfareair and cfabar1 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing
Nice, but the waiver does not appear to include the option of cancelling and receiving a refund for DL flights between now and Sunday. The waiver only seems to be applicable if your flight is cancelled or significantly delayed. So, for example, if I have DL flights on Friday, I have no opportunity to cancel now, receive a refund, and book another airline for that day. I can only wait and hope my Friday flights are not cancelled/delayed and then, if they are cancelled/delayed, look for another airline at that time. Good luck with that.
It doesn't help you in this instance, but given that this has attracted the attention of Secretary Pete I would expect this aspect to be challenged similar to how it was during COVID. The airlines of course will fight this. See the related post in the other thread with the letter from Senator Cantwell to Ed Bastian.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing
Call in while you have something to do while on hold.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 1:18 pm

Here's what I had to do:
My original flight, Friday at 6AM, was cancelled, earliest rebook was 2 days later. Had no bags since they couldn't get the bags off the original plane. Had to stay in a hotel 2 nights. The rebooked flight 2 days later was also cancelled. No rebooking options. Even Delta couldn't find anything.

I had to rent a car and drive 4 hours to another city to take a one-way flight on American to get back home.

Delta will be paying for all of this whether they want to or not. I will be getting attorneys involved if they try to give me a hard time. 3 full days, Delta never got me there, and I still don't have my bags back.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I'm continuing to follow the route I have booked for Friday. Until last night, all flights operated, albeit about an hour late. The last flight yesterday and the first flight today, however, were cancelled. The next flight today is expected to operate, delayed. I'm hoping that the cancellations were to get planes and crews into the right places and not because they couldn't find a plane or crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.