Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL IT outage - CrowdStrike - July 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Are they sending out the apology emails in batches? No status here and no email.

More interestingly, my PNR is no longer available on the Delta website, it just errors out. My last communication from Delta was that my flight is cancelled and they are unable to rebook me. No refund either.
You can always look up reservations using (the default) PNR number, or you can type the Credit Card Number you used, or you can enter the Ticket Number - which is a 13 digit number starting with "006". The ticket number is included in the email you received when you booked your flight.

What happens when you try to view your reservation using the Ticket Number option?
Old Jul 24, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by The Situation
In addition to the optics and employee morale issue, in situations like this, there will be decisions that employees need to make that are above their paygrade and require timely assessment. C-suite needs to be 100% available to make those decisions. I am sure things like a full stop of operations to reset the system and not compound issues was discussed at one point...that is a decision for the CEO to make and not one that should be made over Zoom.
Optics do matter, but optics-driven leadership is often the worst kind of leadership a company (or country) can suffer. Symbolism quickly takes the place of substantive thought and actions. Also, I am pretty confident the right C-suite people empowered to make the big operational decisions were (and are) fully dialed into the problem solving.

Ed Bastian should absolutely be in Paris right now. Apart from Delta's Olympic travel commitments, the Games brings together a slew of government officials and business leaders from around the world (i.e., people that can directly impact the airline's current and future business plans, growth, and revenue opportunities).
ATOBTTR and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Optics do matter, but optics-driven leadership is often the worst kind of leadership a company (or country) can suffer. Symbolism quickly takes the place of substantive thought and actions. Also, I am pretty confident the right C-suite people empowered to make the big operational decisions were (and are) fully dialed into the problem solving.

Ed Bastian should absolutely be in Paris right now. Apart from Delta's Olympic travel commitments, the Games brings together a slew of government officials and business leaders from around the world (i.e., people that can directly impact the airline's current and future business plans, growth, and revenue opportunities).
So when the Delta flight attendants unionize after this, consider this the “straw that broke the camels back”, as Delta’s management now has a big problem to deal with—higher labor costs, so much for the potential of future growth/revenue by attending Olympic private parties.
BenA and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
I was affected by the Crowdstrike incident this past Saturday when our 258pm connection from JFK-FLL was cancelled. There had been an earlier flight at 11am that morning that was delayed and did not leave JFK until 442pm. Delta, in their infinite wisdom, put our luggage on the delayed flight. So our luggage arrived at FLL as scheduled on 20JUL. Technically it was not delayed. We were delayed. Now, I can't file delayed bag reimbursement because Delta fulfilled their bag obligation of getting the bags to their destination on time. I have no delayed bag file claim to provide since our bags were not delayed.

We didn't get back to FLL until 22JUL as that was the first date available on another airline and we had to buy tickets on itsince DL had no space for days beyond the 22nsd.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta 360 and 2MM, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am happy to see Delta publishing that they will reimburse reasonable out-of-pocket costs including other airline tickets. That is a good step forward.

https://news.delta.com/tags/july-2024-operation
wrp96, DrMilano and MahiMahi524 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
And now, severe wx has officially moved right over ATL…
Old Jul 24, 2024, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
You can always look up reservations using (the default) PNR number, or you can type the Credit Card Number you used, or you can enter the Ticket Number - which is a 13 digit number starting with "006". The ticket number is included in the email you received when you booked your flight.

What happens when you try to view your reservation using the Ticket Number option?
Yes I tried PNR, ticket number, and credit card number. CC number shows other trips but not the affected trip, and the others I get this message every time "Whoops! We're sorry, we could not find any reservation with the information you have provided. Please check that you've entered everything correctly and try again. If you are looking for a receipt for past travel, please visit our Help Center page."

Has anyone affected by a cancellation NOT received the apology email? I'm guessing the IT is still not in great shape.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Has anyone affected by a cancellation NOT received the apology email? I'm guessing the IT is still not in great shape.
To be fair, the IT was in far from great shape before the meltdown.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: DL (duh), AA 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond
."

My kids did not receive it.
MahiMahi524 and sc001 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
My kids did not receive it.
Are they still able to view their itineraries? Would be interesting if IT "lost" a bunch of cancelled flight records. I submitted for reimbursement of expenses so will find out sooner or later.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 5:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have not received it. I did have a curt message with the text team today about my certificate expiring and "there's nothing they can do" however...

Has anyone received a response from the customer care team about reimbursements? I submitted my first part last Saturday AM, and still no response. Added my SW flight, and am pleased to see DL has posted they will reimburse on other airlines. I plan to insist they do.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I have not received it. I did have a curt message with the text team today about my certificate expiring and "there's nothing they can do" however...

Has anyone received a response from the customer care team about reimbursements? I submitted my first part last Saturday AM, and still no response. Added my SW flight, and am pleased to see DL has posted they will reimburse on other airlines. I plan to insist they do.
Did you use the certificate to pay for the impacted flight and have it refunded already? May have been a good idea to NOT refund the impacted flight PNR so that "subtracting the value of the unused Delta ticket" would be maximized for the Southwest reimbursement. Otherwise you could argue that since the certificate will expire unused, its value shouldn't could towards the "value of the unused Delta ticket."
Old Jul 24, 2024, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Old Jul 24, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
I have a few questions about the best practices of getting things reimbursed.

1. Delta canceled my outbound portion and I was forced to take an e credit for that. Should I wait until my trip is completed (8/3) to file a DOT complaint, request it on the website, etc.? I’m worried that an incompetent agent will mess up my return and leaving me stranded (or something else along those lines).
2. I used AA miles for my canceled outbound. The price Delta could or should reimburse me is debatable since it’s miles. Thus, I’m thinking of asking them to reimburse me the cost it is to buy the miles. Is that fair?
3. Finally, I have the Delta Amex Platinum which gives free bags. Is me asking them to reimburse me the bag fee for my AA flight acceptable?
Thank you!
Old Jul 24, 2024, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
The Association of Flight Attendants published this:

Ed is in Paris

24 JUL, 2024Delta Flight Attendants have suffered five days of system-wide chaos, leaving us stranded and often without places to stay. And while operations are looking better today, many of us are still far from home.

That’s right – while management gave us baggies of laundry detergent in crew lounges, Ed and several board members traveled to Paris instead of being on the front lines leading us through this turmoil.
We are the only ones who will take care of us. We’ve been vocal since the start of this mess, making sure that we have the resources and work rules we need to navigate the chaos. Meanwhile, Ed hasn’t even apologized or taken responsibility since this started.

We’re fighting to secure our union so that in times of crisis, Ed can’t just jet off and leave us to fend for ourselves. With a union contract, we will have clear and enforceable reroute pay and procedures, hotel requirements, and other work rules that we negotiate.

Sign your AFA card, carry cards for others, and get involved in our campaign to determine our future together. For everyone still impacted, we are here for you. If there is anything we can do to help please reach out. We are stronger together and better together!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.