Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL Plat/2MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil.
Yup, all fare buckets are available for the SEA-NRT flight, but the flight to BKK shows:
J7 D7 S7 I7 Y1 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0

So, indeed it is full and there's a decent chance they'll have to move a few from coach to BE.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
FWIW, SeatCounter.com is a free version that lets you check fare buckets only.
Old May 1, 2010, 4:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
OpUps on SEA-NRT-SEA?

I've flow this route a few times now (half in Y, half in J), and haven't had an opup. The flights are normally not too full in Y, I can usually get a aisle with no one sitting next to me.

I'm on tomorrow's NRT-SEA and it looks pretty full. EF is showing J9 D8 S6 I6 Y3 B2 M2 H1 Q1 K1 L1 U1 T1. Z upgrades are available, but they want $1000 (including change fee).

Is it worth asking about it at the check in counter or the SC?
Old May 1, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
No idea about the load but as Domestic PM, I've had 50% op-up on SEA-NRT for four roundtrips (8 segments). Three of them were from NRT. All of my gate op-up occured before gate was open for inquiry. When I found out, I simply went to the worldclub/Skyclub agent for new boarding card. Good luck.

Jiburi
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:32 am

Are OPUPs likely in this situation?

I just checked in for my LIM-ATL flight. Got the notification that it is oversold and they are looking for volunteers.

I can't volunteer, but I am curious if any of you seasoned flyers might opine as to the likelihood of an opup.

Expertflyer seatmap shows 10 seats. It also shows D8 J8 S3 I2. Don't know how to reconcile those numbers. Nonetheless it would appear there are seats up front.

I'm a lowly FO and know I'm probably way down on the pecking order anyway.

Any suggestions about how I might ingratiate myself to a harried gate agent and get that OPUP?

Thanks!

CV
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would assume that D8 J8 on EF means that 8 BE seats are available. Assuming no further sales, this should mean that 8 will be OPUPed before VDBs happen. OPUPs should depend on status and fare class, with exceptions for families/groups on same PNR, special meals, etc.

As a FO, you probably have some chance, but not a big one.

ADDED: Since you're departing from LIM, I would assume that DL has no agents and airport contract workers will handle the flight. Thus, how OPUPs will be allocated is less likely to follow the normals.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would assume that D8 J8 on EF means that 8 BE seats are available. Assuming no further sales, this should mean that 8 will be OPUPed before VDBs happen. OPUPs should depend on status and fare class, with exceptions for families/groups on same PNR, special meals, etc.

As a FO, you probably have some chance, but not a big one.
Thanks! I'm not getting my hopes up. But it sure would be nice because I have quite a day ahead of me...5 legs and over 25 hours before I get home to SAN.

The good news is that the last 3 are in F...one of them my first comp upgrade as an FO

CV
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'm certainly not an expert as to how Elite - - - OOPS - - Medallion heavy LIM/ATL is, but stranger things have certainly happened!! I hope you don't have a special meal ordered, as that would be an almost automatic disqualifier! (per personal experience - just posted in another thread - NRT/SFO)

Good luck and be sure to let us know what happened!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:04 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ADDED: Since you're departing from LIM, I would assume that DL has no agents and airport contract workers will handle the flight. Thus, how OPUPs will be allocated is less likely to follow the normals.
I beg to differ: My home airport is processed by contract workers and I have learned over the past 3 years that they work potential OpUps up to the letter. That means strictly by medallion level and fare class. In stark contrast to that, I have witnessed first hand several times how "normal" the DL staff @JFK was working. Usually they are just randomly upgrading a bunch of people whenever required. My personal favorite was a partially upgraded college class from which 4 sat in BE while a single Plat was sitting next to me in the exit row.

However, I have made these observation just at JFK, maybe they have special relaxed attitude towards procedures there ...
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm certainly not an expert as to how Elite - - - OOPS - - Medallion heavy LIM/ATL is, but stranger things have certainly happened!! I hope you don't have a special meal ordered, as that would be an almost automatic disqualifier! (per personal experience - just posted in another thread - NRT/SFO)

Good luck and be sure to let us know what happened!
It appeared that there were several people moved up. I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

Oh well, seatmate was pleasant, flight was smooth, arrived early, and I was able to sleep most of the way.

CV
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
Not sure previous poster is correct on special meals -- I've been op-upped twice (one TATL, one TPAC) on DL with special meal orders. Both times they came to the first cabin and asked me if I still wanted it. Uh, not anymore, but thanks for asking.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
DL40 OpUp Chances?

Anyone ever have luck on this flight? I'll be flying this on 9/20.
Do you have to be at the gate or can I wait in the SC?
Also, does it help to hang out at the gate and wait or just board early?
Any other tips for trying to get the upgrade?

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by milesk
Anyone ever have luck on this flight? I'll be flying this on 9/20.
Do you have to be at the gate or can I wait in the SC?
Also, does it help to hang out at the gate and wait or just board early?
Any other tips for trying to get the upgrade?

Thanks
Providing the route may yield more responses.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Sorry, msp-lhr on 9/20 DL40. I can also guest a SC which I will post in the "managed" thread. As a PM on an international coach flight I believe I can only have 1 guest though? Approximately 1800-2000.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
It's a possibility, as the flight is currently C5Y4, so the flight could be oversold and op-ups might be necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.