Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG PLAT
Last Jan I got an op up lax to nrt. I was a GM at the time. I purchased a T fare on orbitz of all places for myself and buddy. When we got to the check in counter they gave us some new unexpected bps with BE seating!!!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta FO
09 0/8 TPAC segments 0/8 intra Asia as plat
10 1/6 TPAC 0/6 intra asia as diamond

Wife
09 0/8 TPAC segments 1/8 intra Asia as plat
10 0/8 TPAC 0/8 intra Asia as plat

Tpac came on nrt-sfo on a Monday in aug2010
Intra Asia on sin-nrt on a thursday in oct2009

We've used atl dtw msp sfo sea slc gateways, my hunch is atl-nrt and dtw-nrt are the toughest for opups. Sfo might be the easiest, lot of competition selling higher quality j-seats sfo-asia, than delta's 767. I shouldnt complain, but it was a bittersweet experience.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
ICN-NRT on an oversold coach DL90 on 9/10
But, although the ongoing flight NRT-MSP DL 620 was absolutely full -- no opup. Might have been others on higher fares (I was booked in U) who got it because BE was full also. Fortunately I was in the exit row or 2 on the side so lots of space next to me.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by davetravels
I ALMOST got ugraded on NRT/PDX on the beautiful 767 Bird in May 2010! They told me that I would have, as Y was overbooked, if I hadn't ordered a special meal! Nowadays, if the flight looks full, I cancel my special meal!
Yeah, this bothers me even though I understand the logic. It's worse because I generally don't need to put in an SPML if I'm in J to begin with because the menus usually have at least one good option for me.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by reigndrop
a relative of mine got an op up. jfk-nrt lowest ticketed coach fare. time of year was late october. ac was a 744. he's a gm fwiw
wow; given the length of the flight and the 3rd world conditions in Y on the 744, that's basically the best upgrade of all time.

i had one op-up on an ex-NRT flight this year, but it was only a short run to PVG. i got upgraded way back at JFK for that flight, when i was checking in at the outset of that loooong day. it was a cheap fare; a T or something of that nature, and i assume it was dumb luck.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:41 am

OK I consider myself very lucky.

My 2 paid Y round trips from the US to BKK resulted in the following. No upgrade on the way over but coming back is a different story.

BKK – NRT Sept 2010 (L fare)
NRT – SLC Sept 2010 (L fare)
Both of these happened at the gate.

BKK – NRT Dec 2010 (K fare)
NRT – LAX Dec 2010 (U fare) Very glad to get out of Y on the 747.
Both of these happened in advance. Woke up at 2:45AM to get the BKK flight and noticed a nice surprise when I looked at my itinerary on line before heading to the airport. NRT-LAX happened en route to NRT. Once I got into the skyclub, logged in to find yet another surprise.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
SLC-NRT, on 332 last May
Upon kind request, my nonelite companion was upgraded too (quite a rarity!!! thx DL GA supervisor!!!)
Sheena, is that you?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
My company books our flights via their agent from US to PUS most of which are 744's MSP and DTW they are always low level fare classes booked one way. We are seeing upgrades about 7% of the time over the past two years. I've done a few dozen round trips and have yet to get the low fare op up.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I was upgraded twice, once LAX-NRT and on NRT-MSP.
These were different trips. Both on K fares...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta - GM
I was op-uped on the return leg of NRT -> LAX on 12/31.
T fare ticket, Oversold Coach. Was already sitting in my coach seat when I was approached. Very pleasant surprise considering I am only a SM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Platinum here, purchased T ticket out of pocket late October (I think 26) personal visit DTW-NRT. GA approached me at seat, handed me my seat assignment in 2nd BE cabin. My record for 2010 on to/from NRT op-ups is 1/1.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Twice last year on T fares, once MSP-NRT, once NRT-MSP
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
0/1 PM flying on L class tix ATL-NRT on a Friday in the fall.

Did catch the op/up for NRT-HKG ~ oversold situation.

Returned HKG-DTW so no info on the flight back for ya.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
While SM, I was upgraded from NRT to Guam. I was hoping to get upgraded on the way back from NRT to SLC, but was not. I was GM on the way back.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Saturday and Lima = Opup central?

So I have flown to Lima, Peru 4 times in the past year. The first time was a Sunday and the last 3 Saturdays. Each Saturday I have been op-upped and the GA in ATL told me that this is very common. Saturdays to Lima are packed and she stated it is normal to see coach oversold by 20 and BE (lieflats now!) to have 40/42 seats open. I just wanted to alert FTers that may be traveling to Lima that Saturday is the day to fly if u want an op up. I still find it strange that Lima is considered a BE destination since there are so few elites on the route and CO offers UDUs on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.