Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, HH Diamond
OpUp vs SWU wait list on oversold international flight?

If an international flight is oversold in coach and has open seats in business class, do they clear the upgrade wait list first or throw out the wait list and start moving people up based on status?

In other words, if a PM has an upgradable fare and is on the wait list (using an SWU) and a DM has an non upgradable fare, who gets moved up first?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I would hope that the waitlist gets cleared before they do op-ups, especially since they now allow day-of-departure standby for upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:05 pm

The waitlist should be the first thing to be cleared.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
If you are PM or higher on an M fare with SWUs in hand, I would set an alert on EF and call DL if Z inventory clears before departure.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:30 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
My odds of an OpUp on a discounted ticket JFK-BCN are pretty much zero, right?

I'm a Gold Medallion traveling tomorrow night in class T.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
What time and is it direct?
Old May 16, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
If its Flt 94. I'd say not a chance, at least 18 open seats in Y and J5.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Put it this way, unless you're on the 4:40 PM flight that connects through CDG, you've got zero chance. If you are on the 4:40 flight to CDG, there is a good chance you will be able to VDB to a later flight (the 6:00 PM flight is wide open) but you won't be sitting in J on the 4:40.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:29 pm

EF says there are 45 seats in Y.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:59 pm

It's the 6pm.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:00 pm

I may have used OpUp incorrectly. I was speaking of a complimentary upgrade.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I may have used OpUp incorrectly. I was speaking of a complimentary upgrade.
There is no such thing...

They do not give complimentary upgrades on these flights.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp

Would have assumed a GM and 9 year FT'er would know this.

Edit: If you check your itinerary you should see "Not Upgrade Eligible" next to the flights.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The flight is oversold in coach but there will be misconnects/no-shows. As a GM you have very little shot at an op-up on JFK-BCN since there are DMs, PMs and GMs on U+ fares in front of you. I wouldn't be surprised if the plane left with a few empty seats in Y since its JFK and there will be people who miss connections, cancel, and no-show for the flight.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
The flight is oversold in coach but there will be misconnects/no-shows. As a GM you have very little shot at an op-up on JFK-BCN since there are DMs, PMs and GMs on U+ fares in front of you. I wouldn't be surprised if the plane left with a few empty seats in Y since its JFK and there will be people who miss connections, cancel, and no-show for the flight.
Just curious where you see it oversold?

Originally Posted by yohanson
EF says there are 45 seats in Y.
Either I have been going about it all wrong or adding up all the availability of different Y buckets does not equate to the number of empty seats. Just the number of seats left at that fare price, as the same "t" seat would be included in the "y, b, m etc." availability,

Last edited by mlad1101; May 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm
Old May 16, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Just curious where you see it oversold?
I have a connection at DL and use the internal Travelnet flight availability site. The JFK-BCN is oversold in coach right now, but DL is still willing to sell 9 seats. Common practice here since there are always no-shows and misconnects.

I recently had a flight to Europe that showed oversold by 22 in coach and went out with 17 open seats in back. I doubt that anybody will receive an op-up tomorrow on the JFK-BCN flight but I could be wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.