Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
I am sure the IT department will immediately fix this obvious glitch of returning your money.

Cheers
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:22 pm

International Operational Upgrade - Post Mortem

Apologies if I am posting inefficiently here.

I seem to have noticed threads where somebody on here can, after the fact, look at how seats were assigned on an oversold international flight. For example, they can identify the fare class/medallion status of people who may have been bumped up to BE on an operational upgrade and identify flyers still in economy but with high level medallion status and/or high fare class that might have qualified them for an operational upgrade. However, as I try to search for these threads I had read a while back, I cannot seem to find them.

Is there a way to find this info publicly, or is it only available to people in the know? I am curious about Delta flight 31 today (10/10) from SVO to JFK. They were saying originally it was oversold. However, no telling in the end if it was oversold or not (seemed full in the back, but not sure if that means it was oversold or not). Would be curious if there were operational upgrades granted or not and what fare class or medallion status was required to qualify for an op up if one was in fact granted. I fully realize operational upgrades are a privilege not a right. Just trying to understand better how the "system" works. Thank you anybody who pays attention to this.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL Plat/2MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil.
Such information is not publicly available. Only someone with insider information would have access to this info.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I do not think the info is publicly available. That said, I've had online check in state that a flight was oversold (more coach seats sold than available) when they did not need volunteers or need to Op Up people to J...this has even happened when Y was about 1/3 empty!

For Op Up's, status and fare class affect decisions to put a Y passenger up front. I've had this happen twice as a Diamond Medallion on a low-tier Y fare and once as a Platinum.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NewYorkMoscowFlyer64
For example, they can identify the fare class/medallion status of people who may have been bumped up to BE on an operational upgrade and identify flyers still in economy but with high level medallion status and/or high fare class that might have qualified them for an operational upgrade.
One does not qualify for an operational upgrade. It is a gift.

Anyone who has followed procedure to be on the waitlist for an upgrade - from a qualifying fare - with miles or an SWU who is left sitting in back has a right to fume when operational upgrades are granted. For anyone else, if you bought a coach ticket that is where you belong.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL -DM, CO - PM
My wife just got upgraded on JFK - Madrid on a miles ticket I bought for her and a GM status I gifted her as a DM. It was her first solo international flight. In the past 5 years, I have been upgraded once internationally and I fly about 15 international roundtrips a year. Ha.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One does not qualify for an operational upgrade. It is a gift.

Anyone who has followed procedure to be on the waitlist for an upgrade - from a qualifying fare - with miles or an SWU who is left sitting in back has a right to fume when operational upgrades are granted. For anyone else, if you bought a coach ticket that is where you belong.
Apologies. I did not explain myself well. I do understand that an operational upgrade is a gift, and I wasn't trying to suggest it is an entitlement. I also agree that anybody who bought a YBM or higher fare should be upgraded before anybody on a lower fare and if an operational upgrade is granted to somebody on a lower fare instead of them then they should have a real beef with Delta.

Again, I did not explain myself well, but all I am trying to get at is to understand the "game" or the "system" on how Delta decides which customers to give gifts to when it is giving out gifts. In other words, assume all people entitled to an upgrade have been given one....but still the back is oversold and there are empty seats up front.........Delta is either bumping somebody from economy off the plane or to the front of the plane....just trying to understand better how that particular type of situation is determined. If economy is not checked in over capacity (regardless of the status of the front cabin), then the scenario I am asking about is not triggered (I agree with you there should be no operational upgrades in such a situation).
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
They will never bump off before up.

As to how to game it. I don't think there is much you can do other than:

. travel by yourself or split the PNR.
. do not order a special meal

Of course it is possible that getting to the gate early and chatting up the GA can work.

Fake a leg injury?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I fly internationally about 2 or 3 times a year, often with a child or two. I'm usually silver, sometimes gold medallion. In the past year I've been op-upped three times on transatlantic Delta flights, once together with my non-medallion toddler son, once when flying on an award ticket. Before this year, never. Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason behind it.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
I've been able to 'finagle' op-ups (upgrades, right? still learning the vocab) on smaller regionals or on large wide body transcons and intl's simply by asking the GAs if they were having a nice day and if they could use some coffee from someone who appreciates their hard work.

90% of the time, I make a specific Starbucks run for the GAs, and magically I get upgraded.

This has been true on UA, Frontier, DL, CO... but *never* on any foreign carriers.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by neilah
I've been able to 'finagle' op-ups (upgrades, right? still learning the vocab) on smaller regionals or on large wide body transcons and intl's simply by asking the GAs if they were having a nice day and if they could use some coffee from someone who appreciates their hard work.

90% of the time, I make a specific Starbucks run for the GAs, and magically I get upgraded.

This has been true on UA, Frontier, DL, CO... but *never* on any foreign carriers.
So THIS is how Shena continues to survive I guess......
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Originally Posted by DavidAL
So THIS is how Shena continues to survive I guess......
Shena?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by neilah
Shena?
Shena N. Igans
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Shena N. Igans
gurl don't speak her name...
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I just want my banana...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.