Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Just throw the skin on the floor.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:37 am

I was not so much looking at the tricks of how to finagle one - I am happy to just be polite and just let them do what they think is right. Hopefully, they will hew somewhat in the vicinity of some corporate guidelines whatever they are.

I have been on a lot of trans-atlantic and trans-pacific flights that have been way overbooked since Delta has gone into its "cut capacity, fill planes -- yield management mode" over the last 18-24 months and have noticed during this period a fair amount of operational upgrading. (I am diamond and a million miler -- so I have been quite fortunate to scotch these from time to time). I used to regularly fly using YBM fares and the system-wide upgrades. However, close in time to when they went into "cut capacity, fill planes mode," they also way way elevated the YBM fares. Again, no complaint, they are entitled to do that and they should do what they need to do to make money. However, a consequence of that is that flyers who would be on the YBM fares are now on lower fares AND the back of the planes are filling up much more and the front less so. This is fertile ground for increasing the quantity of OPUPs that must be granted if passengers are not to get kicked off the plane.

I agree that nobody is entitled to the gift of an OPUP. However, if Delta is in a position where it must be granting these to somebody, it would seem they should like to use such gifts to reward something that a passenger has done for Delta. The goodwill that can be "bought" by giving gifts belongs to Delta and one would think they would want to use that goodwill to encourage certain customer behavior (whether that behavior is buying coffee for the GA or flying on Delta planes a lot). I also understand that it can be chaotic at the last minute in overbooked situations and people on the ground need a certain amount of flexibility to deal with challenging situations, so whatever corporate guidelines there are are only guidelines, not rules or requirements.

The purpose of my original post is that I had noticed on this forum, that there are some participants who can do a post mortem of a flight and see what ended up happening. I was on a flight that was said to have been very overbooked. I do not know if any opups were granted or not, but I am curious. If opups were granted, I am curious what the status was of the flyers receiving them versus the status of guys sitting in the back of the plane. No matter what the answer is (for example, if a gold on a T fare got an opup and I did not get one as a Diamond (mm) on a "K" fare, then so be it), I have zero plans to complain. I agree that these are gifts and nobody is entitled to them. (I do know there was one other Diamond on the plane because he and I were met in the JFK meet and greet and he and I both flew economy). Just trying to see how one finds out the information, that is all.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Originally Posted by jsmith50
She Who Shall Not Be Named
Thank you JSmith50!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
gurl don't speak her name...
Ummm...I'm not a gurl...but nice try!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Even before the capacity cut you can plan your flying around Y oversold dates to get your op-ups. I think I got the TPAC schedule figured out.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Smile DL2 - LHR-JFK- Advance OpUp today!

Hi All,

Just got a call from my sister (a GM). She checked in at LHR and they gave her a BP with 5A instead of 30G for her LHR-JFK flight this evening.

First time I've seen an OpUp at the check in desk vice the departure gate at LHR.

NICE way to start 2012!
^

Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
cheers
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
for those of you who are wondering if gold is worth it, take it from Rwoman.

Flight is completely filled up. I wonder what they're offering for VDB's

J0C0D0I0S0Y0B0M0H0Q0K0L0U0T0E0
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nypdLieu

This is my sister's second OpUp since last May...previously MSP-LHR. I had two TATL myself in 2011.

I'll call and ask...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rwoman

First time I've seen an OpUp at the check in desk vice the departure gate at LHR.
Had it happen ICN-NRT last year. And then missed it NRT-DTW but was told that I would have been next to upgrade had they needed 1 more.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:49 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I had a DUB-JFK upgrade that was done before I even got to the airport (saw it online). And they upgraded my non-status companion with me! (I was Gold at the time)
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
nice - very nice indeed.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need for volunteers today.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
This is my sister's second OpUp since last May...previously MSP-LHR. I had two TATL myself in 2011.

I'll call and ask...
which is why I'm not spending the money this summer to fly J TATL. Im gonna roll the dice and fly coach and hope for op-ups. flights are gonna be jfk-fra and jfk-mad.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which is why I'm not spending the money this summer to fly J TATL. Im gonna roll the dice and fly coach and hope for op-ups. flights are gonna be jfk-fra and jfk-mad.
I don't blame you. I figure for far less $$ I am in an EC bulkhead...if I end up in J, great, if not, well, that's a couple of more trips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.