Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a widebody, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 10 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 10 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Oops... forgot about the big bang theory - also known as the big schedule change on 1/31. All bets are off as to gates being used, and to be honest, one can expect some tweaking after they get this going. I am sure that some ALWAYS LATE arrivals on certain flights from certain cities have been overlooked and will need to be fixed when they do the "little bang" and readjust a few weeks later.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Not for the Faint of Heart

I have made 30 something minute connections more times than I care to remember, but not with DL in ATL, and not two weeks after a mammoth schedule overhaul.

Maybe I move too slow, or do not like too many uncertainties, but I find 90 minutes with DL in ATL is optimal and comfortable, and 60 minutes is the very minimum.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
ATL Minimum Connection time?

While planning my visit to PBI yesterday, I tried to route it TLV-MXP-ATL-PBI (it would have saved me about $200 by taking AZ instead of DL).

The TA tried booking it but was refused because the 50 minute connection in ATL was not considered a legal one. (Yes, I knew it was very tight but figured that if I didn't make it I would just be put on a later plane.)

What is the minimum legal connection in ATL?
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:32 pm

I would think for arriving international flights the minimum would be at least an hour.

However, the DL website will gladly sell you many connections of just over 30 minutes on domestic itins.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
While planning my visit to PBI yesterday, I tried to route it TLV-MXP-ATL-PBI (it would have saved me about $200 by taking AZ instead of DL).

The TA tried booking it but was refused because the 50 minute connection in ATL was not considered a legal one. (Yes, I knew it was very tight but figured that if I didn't make it I would just be put on a later plane.)

What is the minimum legal connection in ATL?
50 minutes is not nearly enough time arriving in Atlanta from overseas. You would be lucky to even clear customs and security within 50 minutes. If they were to sell you this connection, you would surely miss the flight.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by 53flyer
50 minutes is not nearly enough time arriving in Atlanta from overseas. You would be lucky to even clear customs and security within 50 minutes. If they were to sell you this connection, you would surely miss the flight.
To be honest, I knew that. I really didn't think it was a workable connection, I was just hoping it was a legal connection.

There were quite a few ATL-PBI flights after the one which left 50 minutes after my arrival. The problem was that AZ had no codeshare seats available on any of them.

If I had arrived too late to make the connection, I would have automatically been put on a later flight so I wasn't worried about whether I would arrive in time.

I had hoped to use an AZ itinerary to fly TLV-MXP (on AZ metal) and MXP-ATL-PBI all on Delta metal. AZ offers some very low prices for this.

As it turned out, I am on a Delta itinerary, flying TLV-JFK on LY metal and JFK-PBI on Delta. On the way back, I am flying DL PBI-ATL-MXP and two weeks later going MXP-TLV on AZ metal.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:20 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by vinnmann
Won't the JFK-PBI segment be on Song? I wouldn't want to offend OSH by calling it a Delta flight when it is Song. After all, according to OSH, they are two separate products.
It will be on Song, but Delta appears to be singing a different tune.

My itinerary lists the flight as "DL 2064 -- OPERATED BY DELTA AS SONG".

If they were trying to say it is a codeshare, they would write (as they did with my El Al flight): "DL 8975 -- OPERATED BY EL AL ISRAEL".
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:38 am

HUH 50min from an international arrival to a national connecter!?! You must be kidding!?! I hate being the bearer of BAD news BUT... We had 2h50 in December - no not during the holidays but we did not make the connection from our Transatlatic flight to our connecter to Florida even though we were at the gate 19 min prior to flight depature. If you are not there at least 30 min prior (or when ever the gate gods think it is time) to take off you are left behind. Yes we still got to Florida that night but 2 flights later making it a 24 hour day for us. Boy what a start to a vacation
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:55 am

Moeve, as I said, I didn't care if I made the connection or not -- I just wanted to buy the ticket. If I had to take a later plane, so be it. (In fact, when I have passed through Customs too late to catch my original flight, on two occcasions, I was put in FC on the later one.)

Generally I have found that if I have 90 minutes between flights, and we are not late on arrival, I will have no problem.

I am hoping that 3 hours in JFK will give me time to duck out of the airport for a smoke before making my connection.

Which is the airline VIP room that allows smoking in JFK? I gotta make friends with a member quickly!
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Will I have enough time for this connection?

This summer I am going on a trip with my school to Italy. I am flying on DL77 from FCO-ATL on June 2nd. This flight leaves Rome at 1:20PM and arrives in ATL at 6:20 PM. Now I am going to be buying a second ticket from ATL-MSP so I can visit my father. The latest flight for the ATL-MSP route is at 9:24PM on DL434. I need to know if this connection time of 3 hours and 4 minutes is enough for me to clear customs and immigration, claim my bags (if DL doesnt check them all the way to MSP), and then check in for my flight to MSP (I could check in at a Transfer Desk, right?).

As for the rest of my group ATL is their final destination. Ive heard that when you clear customs you have to claim your bags first. Can they just keep their bags instead of placing back onto the conveyor, so that they can leave quickly for their bus back to Panama City?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Berto
This summer I am going on a trip with my school to Italy. I am flying on DL77 from FCO-ATL on June 2nd. This flight leaves Rome at 1:20PM and arrives in ATL at 6:20 PM. Now I am going to be buying a second ticket from ATL-MSP so I can visit my father. The latest flight for the ATL-MSP route is at 9:24PM on DL434. I need to know if this connection time of 3 hours and 4 minutes is enough for me to clear customs and immigration, claim my bags (if DL doesnt check them all the way to MSP), and then check in for my flight to MSP (I could check in at a Transfer Desk, right?).

As for the rest of my group ATL is their final destination. Ive heard that when you clear customs you have to claim your bags first. Can they just keep their bags instead of placing back onto the conveyor, so that they can leave quickly for their bus back to Panama City?
If everything is on schedule, you should have more than enough time for a nice sit-down dinner somewhere inside the terminal.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
I go through Atlanta coming back from Europe at least twice a year. You have nothing to worry about, unless there is a huge delay.
Rich

Originally Posted by Berto

Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am guessing you have checked, but still... is there any way you can get these flights as part of one record? You did not indicate your original origination (huh?) and final finalization (yep, makes sense to me).

Even is separate and no more than an hour, maybe two hours late and you will be okay. Customs in ATL always moves right along. Rechecking bags sometimes is a bit of a hassle, but even with long lines, maybe 20 minutes. Even if one ticket, you WILL have to recheck bags after leaving customs.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
My original origination is ATL. To Italy my group is flying on AF to MXP via CDG. Delta is the carrier for my return segment FCO-ATL. Too make things worse these are on seperate PNRs and on the same PNRs as me is 27 other people. They are all ending at ATL, but I need to get to MSP. Its also a paper ticket too (Tour company made all the bookings). That might make sense.......but its somewhat confusing to me.

Im not going to try and add on to the FCO-ATL PNR, dont want to cause problems with the tour company or the rest of my group, etc.

Yeah, im going to have checked luggage (all those souvenirs ). The Delta agent on the phone said as long as i have a ticket for the ATL-MSP flight, they will check my bags all the way. Im just wanting to be prepared incase it doesnt get checked all the way. If they dont check my bags to MSP, can i just keep the checked bag after customs and take it to the Transfer Desk, or will I be forced to go and wait at Baggage Claim (Seperate Tickets/PNRs)? What about the rest of my group who are ending their flight intinerary in ATL will they have to put their bags back on the conveyor and claim in baggage claim? I assume the answer is probably yes, im just trying to get all the information correct.

Last edited by Berto; Apr 12, 2005 at 7:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.