Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leo gets more money...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:27 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Diver90:
"Well yeah, I flunked the bar exam. But my failing score was much higher than some of the others that failed."

"Sir, we're sorry but we removed the wrong kidney. But that's nearly as bad as this other doctor who amputated the wrong leg last week."

Sorry, doing less badly than the competition but not producing a good, if not excellent, result is not the basis for getting any awards.
</font>
Really? If my stock portfolio manager managed a -2% return for the time period when the equities markets tanked, I'd be pretty pleased with her!
Old Mar 26, 2003, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeBurdell:
Last year, company documents show, the board of directors changed the rules to award bonuses based on so-called "free cash flow" -- the profit the airline generates before interest, taxes, depreciation and aircraft rent."

What ya'll have overlooked here is how the bonuses are calculated. They changed them to move them away from profits. So all they have to do is put butts in seats. Who cares if they make any money doing it.
</font>
That would make sense if they did not simultaneously reduce SkyMiles benefits severely, although it could explain the recent increases in exhorbitant fees and service charges.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Hey everybody, this is nothing but pure criminals at work and using the system for self-preservation. This whole thing smells on an ENRON.

C.E. Woolman is vomiting in his grave. This is probably the sadest period in DL's history.

Old Mar 26, 2003, 7:04 pm

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
Really? If my stock portfolio manager managed a -2% return for the time period when the equities markets tanked, I'd be pretty pleased with her!</font>
Touche. But would you reward her by increasing the management fee that her company charged you? I think not. And if it was a hedge fund, they make their money by getting a hefty percentage of the profits they create, not by being measured against a comparative yardstick of who was less of a loser.

Still we could bat this ball around ad infinitum. Too much reward for not enough performance.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 8:33 pm

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
This latest news about Leo & Co. was enough for me to book my next r/t (~$1,000) on AirTran. No more $$$ to DL.

And I'll make sure my congressman, Johnny Isackson (GA's 6-th District), who just happen to sit on a Transportation committee, hears from me real soon.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:30 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
To the tune of "Gentle On My Mind" and I apologize profusely to John Hartford and Glen Campbell

You Know I got Mine

It's knowing that your pay has just increased and that the bonus is comin due,
That makes me feel that I am safe and not really too worried about you.
And it's knowing that my pension is guaranteed no matter what,
And it doesn't matter what happens to this airline.
That keeps me smilin' and getting richer,
Leo says " you bet that I got mine.

It's not the flight attendants that we furloughed and the redcoats that we sent on home.
Or the frequent flyers we have screwed by dumping all their benefits this year.
It's just knowing that Song will soon be flying and Delta will be only marking time.
And I'll still have all my money,
While you're flying in the back and hear the echoes of
Leo saying "I got mine."

Though Atlanta, Great Salt Lake, Dallas, Cincinatti
And all the other cities that we board these flights.
Our protests go unheard by the executives that are currently in place,
And even employee tears that flow as freely as the gratis first class wine.
Cannot be heard by Leo Mullin who's busy saying,
"You know that I got mine."

I rip my Delta tag from my computer case in frustrated, silent rage,
I want to fly on this great bird but it seems that their time will soon be gone.
My thanks go out to our Flyer Talkers,
And the employees that are still left upon the line,
That keep alive the slimmest hope that someday we can also say,
"We won, and now I still have mine."

Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DL Platinum:
Delta Air Lines Inc. said Tuesday that it paid its chairman and chief executive, Leo F. Mullin, a salary of $795,000 and a bonus of $1.4 million in 2002, compared with a salary of $596,250 and no bonus in 2001, according to a proxy statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission"

Maybe it's just me, but is he worth it? How can pay INCREASE when business is down and they are laying off the real workers?![/B]</font>
Check-out CO's proxy statement too

"According to the proxy statement, the 61-year-old Bethune, last year received a salary of $1,063,350, up from $794,900 in 2001."

I guess this will be a continuing trend when all the proxy statements are filed.

I'm as upset as the next DL employee in regards to the timing of this news- but if DL didn't retain Leo and crew, then it would create a situation like UA went through where you're w/o a leader and when you eventually find one their "welcome package" is a lot more than what is currently being paid out.

Just my two cents.

------------------
I am not a sanctioned representative of Delta on these boards, just an interested participant. I'm only here trying to shed light on DL issues brought up on this board and to provide my opinion and/or to try to answer Qs. I do work for Delta, but I don't represent DL's final word when answering a question (in any capacity). Please e-mail Customer Care with your questions to get a corporately-supported reply.www.delta.com/email
Old Mar 26, 2003, 9:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gilpin:
Not I. A group of people randomly selected from the phone book would do better.

</font>
I agree- which also shoots VAZEs theory all to he$%.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:33 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UnofficialDLHelper:
Airline reduces CEO and COO salaries by 10% indefinitely

Beginning March 1 the company's board said the salaries of the CEO and that of the president and chief operating officer, Frederick Reid are reduced by 10 percent "for an indefinite period" and the salaries of all other officers are cut by 8 percent.

At least from here on out the board is making economical choices towards their compensation.

</font>
More proof again this guy is nothing but a rah rah Delta can do no wrong cheerleader. I can't wait to see his next post about expanded service to Moline...
Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:11 am

Yes my comments are simplistic but how can you justify a bonus when the company not only lost money but had record losses? Instead of bonuses, heads should be rolling.

Andymo makes a point about industries with small margins. But I stand by my point--what is the point of owning equity if executive bonuses exceed 100% of the profits!

As for those who are litigation minded, this is a very thin case for a shareholder suit, although Del. courts post Enron are becoming receptive. If you want to give DL fits you are too late for this years meeting. What you should do is get the proxy statement and read about how to submit a shareholder proposal. If you want to do it for free, you are limited to 500 words but you can get it on the ballot and in the proxy statement for next year's meeting. There are precise deadlines to follow The procedure is spelled out in the proxy statement, usually near the back. A sample proposal would be to create a bylaw prohibiting bonuses in years when there is no profit. Another would be to remove the members of the executive committee from the board of directors (for cause for approving these ridiculous bonuses).
Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
With apologies to XTC:

We're only making plans for Leo
We only want what's best for him
Leo just needs a helping hand

And if young Leo says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must by happy with his pay

We only want what's best for him
He has a future with Delta Air
Old Mar 27, 2003, 7:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by milemaker:
Hey everybody, this is nothing but pure criminals at work and using the system for self-preservation. This whole thing smells on an ENRON.</font>
I mentioned a similar analogy in a different thread. One difference is that, to my knowledge, Enron did not ask for government assistance - twice!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by milemaker:
This is probably the sadest period in DL's history.</font>
While that may be true, I get the ominous feeling that the saddest period in the history of Delta Air Lines has not yet arrived.

[This message has been edited by Canarsie (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:06 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> which also shoots VAZEs theory all to he$%.[/B]</font>
How so? If the randomly selected people from the phone book can indeed help the company turn a profit they would get a bonus, if the company is still unprofitable they wouldn't. For those of us in the real world that's how things work, then again you may not be on same planet as I
Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:17 pm

Looks like this is going to go somewhere

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/030327/airlines_aid_1.html

Sen McCain is as pissed as we are!
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:20 am

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
Just a few letters from the Atlanta Paper...

DELTA BONUSES
Excerpts from readers' letters on Delta executives' bonuses:

I am so revolted that I do not have the words to describe it.

CAROL F. GOODSON,
Carrollton

There is absolutely no justification in giving Delta executives bonuses when the company has lost $1.3 billion and cut 16,000 jobs.

HOWARD S. BROWN
Atlanta

Is there any level of financial loss that senior Delta executives feel would not warrant a financial reward?

JAMES P. HODGES JR.
Atlanta

I, for one, will look for a new airline to fly.

JIMMY HARRISON
Mableton

It would be less painful if Leo Mullin and the Delta board would hold a gun to the stockholders' heads when they steal money from us.

WILLIAM KEY
Duluth

All of this seems unbelievable when so many Delta employees such as myself are now without a job.

MARYANN CARNEY
Casselberry, Fla.

At Delta, it seems that everyone has been asked to share the pain of the economy -- except for those at the top.

MARCUS DEVEREAUX
Alpharetta

If I were a Delta employee, I would organize a strike.

CLAUDIA
GAMLIEN-CASTRO
Cumming

I have but one word of warning to these gentlemen who are progressing down this slippery slope: Eastern.

STEVE CARLSON
Duluth

These guys are weasels.

TIMOTHY A. HEAD
Atlanta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.