FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest-692/)
-   -   Etihad joins Ferrari... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/800890-etihad-joins-ferrari.html)

micks69 Jun 23, 2008 2:20 am

I think it does help in marketing. I am booking myself with them for my flight from Manila to Milan this month with it being one of the reason. My other choices were CX and SQ but got Etihad Pearl class instead. Being lower of course, another reason of course is to upgrade my Etihad guest status to a higher one. I think the airline is a good option for Asia to Europe flights where you fly half way, get down for a stretch and finish the other leg after. Just hope that Abu Dhabi airport gets renovated or expanded soon and standardize it as a real international airport!

GK Jun 25, 2008 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by BiziBB (Post 9919489)
The winners are wearing 'Mubadala Abu Dhabi' red caps.
Is this the local Ferrari concessionaire? ;)
No, here's the story - the investor arm of UAE!

Told you... it's part of the Abu Dhabi oil funds.

BiziBB Jun 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Welcome!

micks69, welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks for your reply. :)
It's always good to get feedback on Etihad and I hope you can report back on your trip.

I agree with your points; how long is your transit in AUH?
I'm also interested in your impressions of the MNL leg and the pricing.
ex-Asia flights can often be very well-priced compared to flights ex-Australia, so I'm keeping an open mind to buy a few EY flights from there to European or Australian destinations. :cool:

It's good to know there are a few EY pax in the forum reading the 'EY news'. :D

The AUH lounges are now open for F and C; have a look for the Etihad Lounge threads! ^

Originally Posted by micks69 (Post 9922691)
I think it does help in marketing. I am booking myself with them for my flight from Manila to Milan this month with it being one of the reason. My other choices were CX and SQ but got Etihad Pearl class instead. Being lower of course, another reason of course is to upgrade my Etihad guest status to a higher one. I think the airline is a good option for Asia to Europe flights where you fly half way, get down for a stretch and finish the other leg after. !

hobarthoney Jun 25, 2008 11:50 pm

The final race of the 2009 F1 season will be in Abu Dhabi

BiziBB Jun 29, 2008 3:25 am

Originally Posted by hobarthoney (Post 9939802)
The final race of the 2009 F1 season will be in Abu Dhabi

Sponsored by Etihad. :) Tentatively November 15, 2009.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...7/12/7191.html

EY website: Etihad to sponsor Formula1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Official Abu Dhabi F1 GPwebsite

I hope the Australian premier motorsport category (V8 Supercars) holds something there in future considering the exports of local GM product to the emirate. :)

GK Jun 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Ferrari World in AUH will be promoting soon, but probably not open until 2010

BiziBB Jul 9, 2008 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by GK (Post 9936975)
Told you... it's part of the Abu Dhabi oil funds.

Here's another sovereign fund purchase (as distinctive and loved in the architectural (& office space?) realm:

WSJ Evening Wrap July 9, 2008 -- 5:57 p.m. EDT
Chrysler Building Sale
Sovereign wealth fund Abu Dhabi Investment Council has taken a 90% stake in the Chrysler Building, one of New York's most iconic skyscrapers. Tishman Speyer Properties, a New York landlord, will retain the remaining ownership piece and will manage the property.
What this means for the location of Etihad's NYC office, I'm not sure. :D

BiziBB Jul 10, 2008 11:04 pm

India Times primer on F1 sponsorship by (four Asian) airlines.

Are airlines in Formula 1 more than just hot air under the wings? [India Times]
The first of the Asian fleets to sponsor a team in the pinnacle of motor sport was Emirates. The UAE based airline signed a deal with the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team on 10th March 2006. Airline chief Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum had commented then, "Grand Prix racing attracts millions of followers around the globe, and we believe it will be an excellent vehicle to further Emirates' brand awareness internationally."

The advantages are limitless, and on tap for anyone with the capacity to be able to sponsor Formula 1 ...one of the highest television viewerships the world over (second only to the Olympic Games and the football World Cup, events which are held once every four years).

With such endless scope of reaching out to an audience that transcends all political boundaries, there is hardly a better mode of advertising especially for a company with truly global ambitions. And with tobacco advertising (the virtual bankroller of the sport for the better part of three decades) now having been consigned to history and off the cars, F1 had to find newer sources of funding.

The buck doesn't stop with just the sponsorship of Formula 1 teams - the airline companies have now gone on to sponsor races as well. Gulf Air, the national airline of the Kingdom of Bahrain, sponsors the Bahrain Grand Prix and Etihad will go on to sponsor the Abu Dhabi round of the F1 calendar in 2009 as well.

In the past airlines such as BOAC (as British Airways was earlier known as), Qantas and Korean Air were prominent supporters of top flight motor sport and this is evidence enough that what one sees in F1 today is not a recent phenomenon. In fact, even our own national carrier Air India was heavily involved with motor sport, namely the sponsorship of the now defunct Himalayan Rally for over a decade and a half beginning in 1980.

Our world is shrinking and an increasing number of people are taking to the skies as their preferred modes of transport. The involvement in Formula 1 not only gets the airlines exposure to international markets but makes people aware of their existence as well. The number of airline users increases with the augment of the F1 season...

BiziBB Aug 4, 2008 12:35 am

Etihad Marketing Chief : Sponsorship is key to 40% p.a. growth

I just noticed this. not really news, more of an interview with Peter Baumgartner.

Sponsorships put Etihad in fast lane against high-powered rivals [The Australian]
FOUR and a half years ago Etihad was billing itself as the world's youngest airline, emerging from the Middle East to take on the established players.

Now it is the world's fastest growing airline, and global marketing chief Peter Baumgartner says it has been sponsorship, not advertising, that has allowed the Abu Dhabi carrier to achieve growth of more than 40 per cent every year.

Many companies put advertising first, Baumgartner says, but the challenge of getting the name of the airline in front of millions of potential customers in dozens of markets required a special strategy.

The answer, he says, was sponsorship.

HedgeFundFlyer Aug 4, 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB (Post 9919489)
The winners are wearing 'Mubadala Abu Dhabi' red caps.
Is this the local Ferrari concessionaire? ;)

Mubadala ("exchange") is essentially a reincarnation of the old UAE Offsets group and is the more active and aggressive private equity-style investor in Abu Dhabi. They bought their 5% stake in Ferrari years ago.

BiziBB Sep 7, 2008 9:37 pm

Fascinating article re soverign funds: Abu Dhabi - the Sheikh's real goal

Clever subbing - the 'goal' isn't Man City and big-name Premier League transfers. Here is the reason d'etre of the sovereign funds including those two in Abu Dhabi plus what's happening in Dubai.

Abu Dhabi: the Sheikh's real goal [The Times]
Manchester City’s sale to a desert prince looks like a rich man acquiring an expensive plaything. But it is actually about turning a nation that has sat in Dubai’s shadow into a world player

Abu Dhabi’s rulers realise that it will take more than one-off projects to secure their future. They know that it must be based on trade, financial services and tourism – and that there is a place for such a global centre to develop between the European and Asian time zones. THE fly in the ointment is that they have a rival, Dubai, a fellow member of the United Arab Emirates which is only 90 minutes away up the desert highway.

“The UAE is supposed to be one federal state but, crucially, when it was created in 1971 each of the emirates retained the right to keep its natural resources and therefore its own economic path,” explained Christopher Davidson, a Middle East expert at Durham University. “Now we are beginning to see different emirates drift away from each other more and more.”

Indeed it is in sport where the rivalry is best expressed, with a series of tit-for-tat deals to sign up the world’s best sporting properties. When Dubai became the home of the International Cricket Council, the sport’s governing body, Abu Dhabi offered English cricket $750m over 10 years to play host to its Twenty20 one-day competition. After Dubai became the venue for a top event on the men’s professional tennis tour, its rival funded a women’s championship. Aware of Dubai’s attempts to host a Formula One grand prix, Abu Dhabi bought a stake in Ferrari and secured a place on the circuit for next year.

So far the only thing that has eluded them is the hosting of a football World Cup or an Olympics, but bids for future events are understood to be in progress. THE Manchester City deal operates on a different plane. Such is the global popularity of the Premier League that at a stroke the Abu Dhabi royal family have garnered more publicity for their country than any of the Maktoums’ horseracing exploits. Indeed, it even overshadowed their own announcement last week of a $1 billion fund to make 40 movies in the next five years with Hollywood studios.
Despite a general lack of interest here on FT, these spending sprees are making Abu Dhabi and Etihad more visible.
Hopefully AUH can be expanded and upgraded in line with the record numbers of pax transiting there, so that the transit experience is in line with the in-the-air experience.

Finally - the Las Vegas analogy ;)

Indeed, the “branding” of Abu Dhabi is a preoccupation in the emirate. There is already an Office of the Brand of Abu Dhabi that exists to promote its reputation abroad. While some might criticise such a naked expression of promoting the nation’s profile – Peter York, the cultural commentator, has described its buying up of cultural institutions as “like building Venice in Las Vegas” – there are some bright minds behind it.

BiziBB Sep 10, 2008 7:32 am

As speculated above, the sovereign fund's new EPL property has signed up the world's hottest football property, for a record price.

How prominent do you think the Etihad connection will be, when it's time to renew sponsorships?

hobarthoney Sep 10, 2008 11:51 pm

They seem to have a little spare cash :eek:

BiziBB Oct 21, 2008 5:02 pm

Another Etihad long-haul expansion, another big football sponsorship

Melbourne, due to get Etihad long haul services in a matter of months, will likely see its iconic Telstra Dome renamed Etihad Stadium.

This is yet to be reported officially but has been the subject of debate on an Aussie Rules (AFL) forum. Someone noted that Melbourne Stadiums has even registered the URL Etihad Stadium .com.au.

Re: New name for Docklands
This is now good as confirmed.
Just had a look, and the domain name www.etihadstadium.com.au has been registered by Melbourne Stadiums Limited.

(from www.austadiums.com)
[I cite this in the context that arguably Melbourne's largest spring 'racing' party is sponsored in a massive way by Emirates. ;)]

BiziBB Oct 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Confirmation of Aussie profile-raising sponsorship - Melbourne's Etihad Stadium