Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

License requirements for driving in Turkey?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I am heading to Turkey next week and will be renting a car in for a few days. I have found conflicting information about the requirements for an International Drivers Permit (IDP). Is my Canadian Licence enough to rent a car and drive in Turkey or do I need to buy a (mostly pointless) IDP before I go?

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Since there is conflicting info, why not just get an IDP and be done with it? Even if official guidelines say you don't need it, the RAC agent may not know or care. I always carry mine with me, just in case.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Since there is conflicting info, why not just get an IDP and be done with it? Even if official guidelines say you don't need it, the RAC agent may not know or care. I always carry mine with me, just in case.
I see what you are saying, but that's $50 that I could use for a great dinner out! It's not that I can't afford it, but I hate wasting money unnecessarily!

Dr. PITUK.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I see what you are saying, but that's $50 that I could use for a great dinner out! It's not that I can't afford it, but I hate wasting money unnecessarily!

Dr. PITUK.
So don't pay the $50. What happens if you get pulled over and the cop doesn't read English and you only have a Canadian license? How are you going to value your time if you have spend a couple of hours in a police station dealing with the issue?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:15 am

I tried to find information from official web sites (as opposed to unofficial travel guides cobbled together by amateurs). Couldn't find anything official relating to Canadian licences, but the official information for US holders (from travel.state.gov) is as follows:

A valid U.S. driver’s license is accepted in Turkey for a short-term visit up to 90 days. For stays up to one year, a U.S. driver’s license is valid as long as it is accompanied by a notarized Turkish translation. An International Driving Permit is accepted but must be accompanied by your U.S. driver’s license for stays up to 90 days. For stays of up to 1 year your U.S. driver’s license and a notarized Turkish translation are required.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...traffic_safety

I would expect the rules to be the same for Canadian licence holders - but why don't you check with the consulate/embassy?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I see what you are saying, but that's $50 that I could use for a great dinner out!
Would it really cost $50? I got mine at AAA Denver for $15. Took about 20 minutes. Do you have a local CAA office?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:49 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The IDP is valid for 12 months, so why don't you plan a trip to somewhere else which does require an IDP, then it will be "free" for the Turkey trip
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:36 pm

Following on from the post above about requirements for US licence holders, I can add that the AA in the UK notes that an international driving permit is "recommended" for UK licence holders. In the absence of any definitive information about Canada, if it were I, I'd get the international permit - the cost is small in relation to the cost of the trip overall, it will promote peace of mind, and it could cause an awful lot of time and trouble with officialdom in the event that something goes wrong.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. The US info above is definitely helpful. I've driven in non-English speaking countries without needing one in the past. Heck, in theory I needed one in Florida last year!

I do like the idea of planning a trip somewhere else that I'd need an IDP to help justify the cost .

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:44 am

I realize that it is not an expensive country to travel in but if you're balking at spending an extra $25 for an International Driving Permit , then maybe you should reconsider your trip to Turkey.

It's not an official source but Angloinfo has this bit:

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Turkey

Foreigners visiting Turkey as tourists for stays up to 90 days may drive in Turkey with their valid driving licence regardless of its country of issue; carrying an International Driving License/Permit (IDL/P) is optional but not obligatory unless the foreign licence does not display an identity photograph.

Foreign residents of Turkey may drive using their valid foreign licence, however, a notorised translation of the licence must be kept with it at all times. A notorised translation can be provided, for a fee, by a Turkish translation firm offering notarisation and certification services, or by the relevant consular office (or embassy) in Turkey which has certified translators available.

It is recommended to also carry an International Driving License/Permit issued by the country that issued the driving licence. This is essential if the licence does not display an identity photo.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This may be a glaring statement of the obvious - in which case - forgive me.

If you're just staying in and around Istanbul there's really no need for a rental car. The transit is good and what you can't reach on transit (boat or otherwise) taxi is quite affordable.

Traffic and driving in Istanbul puts it on the "challenging" level

If you're heading out of the city - then just ignore this post!

Anyway, have a blast - it's wonderful!
Old May 20, 2013, 3:53 pm
Suspended

I am heading to Turkey next week and will be renting a car in for a few days. I have found conflicting information about the requirements for an International Drivers Permit (IDP). Is my Canadian Licence enough to rent a car and drive in Turkey or do I need to buy a (mostly pointless) IDP before I go?

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
I live in T and use a Norwegian licence.Have newer been asked for anything else when renting a car. Have even had an acident in a rental,foreign licence no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.