Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slovenia and Lichtenstein

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2024, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Slovenia and Lichtenstein

I'm going to be in Ljubljana in September. Never been to that part of Europe, so planning to take a few days off to explore the surrounding region (Lake Bled, Trieste) and then head up to Lichtenstein (train/bus combo) before flying out from Zurich. Anything I should know about beforehand? This looks feasible from what I can tell

Old Jun 22, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
We've done Slovenia a few times and did Liechtenstein as part of a Switzerland trip in 2022. Slovenia is a lovely country and I highly recommend it.
Vaduz is a nice little city but an afternoon will suffice. We did it as a day trip from Zurich.
malgudi likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Lichtenstein is more to tick off yet another "visited country"
Old Jun 28, 2024, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Looks like it might be better to fly to ZRH from Ljubljana and do a 1/2 day trip to Vaduz from there?
Old Jun 28, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
My recommendation would be to take the train from Ljubljana to Zurich. Not sure the exact dates but there is a EuroNight service that runs from Zagreb to Zurich. Leaves Ljubljana around 10pm and gets into Zurich around 9:30am.
malgudi likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 5:42 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
My recommendation would be to take the train from Ljubljana to Zurich. Not sure the exact dates but there is a EuroNight service that runs from Zagreb to Zurich. Leaves Ljubljana around 10pm and gets into Zurich around 9:30am.
More importantly for the OP, it passes through Liechtenstein which might suffice to say that you've been.

If you want to explore the principality properly, you can get off that train at Feldkirch (Austria). LIEmobil buses stop outside that station and you can get a day ticket which is also valid to Buchs SG (Switzerland) when you are done, then continue by Swiss train to Zurich.

I did this in 2019. I stored my luggage in the station lockers at Feldkirch (euro coins were needed). If it still runs and you wish to travel on the sparse stopping train through Liechtenstein, it's essential to plan out the whole day in advance using the bus/train timetables.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Thanks! Lichtenstein is more to tick off yet another "visited country"
Personally I wouldn't bother with Lichtenstein, it's not really worth ticking the box. I was expecting it to have at least a pleasingly typical old town but nope, it has less charm than Stevenage.

The only thing I got out of my visit was a £180 speeding ticket. You have been warned
malgudi and Koby like this.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
If you're interested malgudi here's a video from the excellent channel Simply Railway which shows the train I'm talking about, albeit in reverse (from Zurich to Ljubljana). Outstanding scenery.

malgudi likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS), matched to AZ Volare Premium, AF & SQ nobody
I'm just back from Ljubljana myself. Lovely city. And oddly enough home to one of the better Nikkei (Peruvian Japanese fusion) sushi restaurants I've eaten at!

My personal view is two to three days is enough for Ljubljana itself and you should spend the rest of your time in Slovenia visiting the UNESCO caves at Skocjan or Postojna and Lake Bled, as you plan to.

Can't help on Liechtenstein – haven't been there myself,
Old Jul 7, 2024, 1:36 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
If you do go to Liechtenstein, go up to Triesenberg, where there are great views over the Rhein Valley.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triesenberg
malgudi and TravellingChris like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Slovenia is a wonderful visit, seeing "Western Europe" with fewer crowds and less cost. Ljubljana has quite a few cultural and historical attractions, especially for a small-ish city. Can fill up several days no problem. I spent a couple of days in Maribor, which I recommend -- maybe 2.5 hour train trip from Ljub. And obviously Lake Bled is worth a visit. As a curiosity, a made a day trip to Sevnica, the home town of Melania Trump, which at the time was a minor tourist spot (this visit was during the Trump Admin.).
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2024, 8:01 pm

I doubt that Trump ever visited the hometowns of any of his wives. He obviously isn't very curious...
Old Jul 16, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
On our visit to Slovenia we really enjoyed the coastal town of Piran. Might be worth considering over Trieste.
malgudi and TravellingChris like this.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. No plans to visit Sevnica

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.