Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Platinum Wing Lounge at HEL in non-Schengen area (re-opened 1 June 22)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 1:53 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by lkrt
On the other hand, you'd think it's Finnair who decides in the contract on whether they expect actual a la carte on-demand cooking from the operator or just finishing touches – of course it is very likely that they would be willing to accept anything that costs less.
Indeed ay will decide. Hence the theory.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

PW menu June 2023

PW salmon dish, June 2023

New operator, at least some staff members are the same as before. I expected the lounge to be crowded at 4 pm, as there are several longhauls departing in an hour or so. But it is dead quiet and for once my main course arrived quickly! Salmon was excellent.

Buffet more or less as before. But those good cookies have been substituted by Elovenas cut in half (the same ones AY served in Y during covid).
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:29 am
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat, BT VIP, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
New operator, at least some staff members are the same as before. I expected the lounge to be crowded at 4 pm, as there are several longhauls departing in an hour or so. But it is dead quiet and for once my main course arrived quickly! Salmon was excellent.

Buffet more or less as before. But those good cookies have been substituted by Elovenas cut in half (the same ones AY served in Y during covid).
Bartender??
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
The bar was not manned when I was there.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by ffay005
The bar was not manned when I was there.
Unless the bar was opened up to serve yourself, I'd be very disappointed since it seems you were there around 4pm.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: AF Ultimate/AY plat/SK EBG/LH SEN/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
The last time I was there the bar was manned by request due to staff shortage however it wasnt made very easy to request 😁😁

But that was awhile ago, usually the wait staff will spot people quickly but hopefully staff shortages wont last
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:25 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Eating from the buffet today. The chicken tikka masala is very good as was the mushroom soup and cold shrimp salad. The eggplant in tomato sauce could have used an addition of feta or some other soft, salty cheese.

I thought about trying the green asparagus risotto cooked to order, but I noticed the pot of boiled asparagus on the range, and it looked overcooked, at least to me. I was hoping for fresh, bright green asparagus, but this wasn't that.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by kauppias
The last time I was there the bar was manned by request due to staff shortage however it wasnt made very easy to request 😁😁

But that was awhile ago, usually the wait staff will spot people quickly but hopefully staff shortages wont last
Looks like a lot of the team here have been redeployed here from the Schengen lounge after they had lost their contract from 1 June. Before our BKK-HEL flight, we had this very friendly bartender who was ready to go off menu to make us his version of Aperol Spritz. The downside is that you have to ask everytime for a Champagne refill. I didn't risk a self-pour and to be consigned to that stale Luxumborgish bubbles for the remainder of my stay.

Champagne available only on request at the bar

Bartender is on duty

Cheers!

Food at lunch seems to be a bit better than I remembered. One hot meat dish served with three cold vegetarian options.

Last edited by Alawyer; Jun 15, 2023 at 1:51 am
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:20 am

So it seems that some knowledgeable people from Wine and view have new jobs in the lounge 👍🏼
SPBanker, on22cz and manywhere like this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold [plus Lufthansa Senator, SAS Eurobonus Gold and Avis President’s Club]
Visited the Platinum Wing on Friday and the guy who was on the bar was excellent. He did me an “off-menu” regular margarita and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I think the Platinum Wing is the best OneWorld lounge in Europe. Lovely and spacious, calm, good service and good selection, furnishings in good condition and clean. I just don’t understand how Finnair can manage something like this whilst the BA Terminal 5 First Wing is now a tatty zoo in comparison. Even the Heathrow T3 Cathay First lounge is somewhat showing its age, even though the food and drink selection is still good.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I believe there was a separate dessert menu too, right. When was that removed? Post COVID?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Has the official opening time of 10:30am held true recently? For logistical reasons, easier for me to go to the airport well ahead of an upcoming flight, but would rather time it so that PW is already open.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:42 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH Sen
Originally Posted by timma1971
I believe there was a separate dessert menu too, right. When was that removed? Post COVID?
When the PW reopened after the Covid hiatus.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:54 pm

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
Visited the Platinum Wing on Friday and the guy who was on the bar was excellent. He did me an “off-menu” regular margarita and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I think the Platinum Wing is the best OneWorld lounge in Europe. Lovely and spacious, calm, good service and good selection, furnishings in good condition and clean. I just don’t understand how Finnair can manage something like this whilst the BA Terminal 5 First Wing is now a tatty zoo in comparison. Even the Heathrow T3 Cathay First lounge is somewhat showing its age, even though the food and drink selection is still good.
Maybe because the opening times are just awful
Modo and JackieTrent like this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
For posterity, here are some photos of the buffet and menus from July 2022.

I only sampled the chocolate trifle from the menu on this visit, which was pretty decent.

I'll have a full review of this surprisingly impressive lounge in an upcoming trip report - check the index link below for when that's published.

Last edited by Genius1; Jun 24, 2023 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.