Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz no longer doing $200+ hold?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I just picked up a rental last night for a fully prepaid reservation, including all taxes, airport surcharges, LDW, ALI, etc. where there should be no additional charges anticipated whatsoever and I have noticed a $200 authorization against my AmEx.

Since the rate is fully prepaid, what would justify a hold? I understand a hold if they are only going to receive final payment upon return of the vehicle, but on a prepaid reservation? Really?

It is our first rental with Hertz as Platinum members.

When does the authorization drop off? Only after we return the car?
Hold is for potential fuel and late charges. It will be released when you return the car, and they don't charge you for fuel, late, or damage.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by dscheidt
Hold is for potential fuel and late charges. It will be released when you return the car, and they don't charge you for fuel, late, or damage.
in my experience it comes off in up to a week weather I have a car for a day or if I still have it when it comes off.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
The authorization drops off when your bank decides to drop it off. All of my Hertz authorizations drop off in less than a week with the bank I use most often with Hertz. But a bank I used in the past kept all authorizations for 30 days even if Hertz had already charged the account. The bank said they would only drop off an authorization earlier if Hertz notified them to remove it, which they never did.

I keep rentals for several weeks at a time, and all of my authorizations drop off in less than a week. I often hit points during my rentals when I have no authorizations on my card even though my running total with Hertz is over $1000 and I haven't returned my rental yet.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:17 am

Happened to me too

I used a MasterCard last week to get a weekly rental and they only charged the price of the rental that time. It was my first time using the pay now option and my first time getting the managers special AND the first time I used my gold rewards number so one of those may be the reason. I didn’t ask because I didn’t want them messing around with my available balance!! Lol
Old May 28, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by JLong
I used a MasterCard last week to get a weekly rental and they only charged the price of the rental that time. It was my first time using the pay now option and my first time getting the managers special AND the first time I used my gold rewards number so one of those may be the reason. I didn’t ask because I didn’t want them messing around with my available balance!! Lol
In the past, this happened to me twice when I used a mastercard. This was about 3 years ago. At the time, I thought that perhaps Hertz also no longer hold a $200 additional authorization. However, shortly after it went back to holding the $200 on that same mastercard. I have subsequently used a visa since. However, this past weekend, I used a new Mastercard that I received. To my surprise, there was no additional $200 authorization added to the rental. Perhaps now this may be new policy???
Old May 31, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Oops. I spoke too soon. Today's rental at an HLE authorized an additional $200 on my MC. Guess the mastercard is still having the $200 authorization.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Yes
Rented with AMEX PLAT at Hertz on Friday for a 3 day rental, $200 hold for a QX80.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
$200 hold on my MC yesterday in Tulsa for a one day rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.