Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

SRQ Airport / Sarasota, FL -> What cars in the "gold choice" on a monday 11:00am?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SRQ Airport / Sarasota, FL -> What cars in the "gold choice" on a monday 11:00am?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I was wondering what type of cars are usually available in Sarasota, FL (SRQ Airport) on a "typical" monday around 11:00am to choose from on the "gold choice" lot?

I am trying to decide what car type I should book,... (so I can book the cheapest) but I "need" good trunk space as we are two adults and a baby and there will be stroller, car seat and 3-4 large suitcases....

are "full size" cars "always" available there? (then I can book a lower class) .. or bigger? (minivan, suv?)

Anyone with experience please, let me know,
thanks in advance
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Choice Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards OBM
You might want an SUV... I was going to point out that the Cruze has the same trunk space as an Altima but I doubt either of those would be big enough (depends on what you mean by "large" suitcases). If you are only three people, I think you could get away with a midsize SUV (IFAR).

You could probably get away with an Impala, and they are quite common in general, but there have been instances when I've had trouble getting one (in those few scenarios when an Impala would have been optimal, lol). If you book a FCAR, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting one -- assuming they have one available.

I'd make two reservations. Book an ICAR (midsize sedan); this will allow you to see what is available on Gold Choice and to ask about upgrade opportunities (i.e., to a FCAR or IFAR), and an upgrade to an IFAR would likely be cheaper than booking one outright. I have on several instances upgraded to an Impala on an ICAR reservation without having to pay extra. In addition to this, book an IFAR, just in case. Once you get there, you can cancel whichever reservation you do not use on your phone or with a station employee.

-J.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:03 am

SRQ isn't a Gold Choice location. What you reserve is generally what you get.

If it's just three of you and you don't mind putting trunk overflow in the back seat, I think you could rent just about anything CCAR or larger and be fine.

I travel a few times a year with mrsmicah and our two kids (including SRQ once a year or so), and we've never met an FCAR that couldn't swallow our two full-size rolling duffels, a Pack N Play and an umbrella stroller. When we traveled with the Bugaboo Frog we'd sometimes have to wedge it into the back seat with the kids, but almost all FCARs and even some ICARs will swallow an umbrella stroller and everything else in the trunk with room to spare.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
TPA is about an hour and half up the road if you are looking for more variety on car rental availability selection. Not sure if the flights into TPA are cheaper in your case or not.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:41 pm

TPA has a bigger variety of cars you can reserve than SRQ, but still isn't a Gold Choice location.

RSW is an hour and a half the other direction and has Gold Choice, but I can't imagine it's very big (I've only flown into RSW once and was picked up) and RSW is often more expensive than SRQ or TPA (at least from NYC).
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great input.

Silly me was under the impression that the gold choice was available everywhere. I am happy that themicah pointed out that it is not. This way I wont be feeling "let down" when I get there and see there's not much else to choose from.

Well, in regards to the reasoning of a need storage space: Okay, we're only two adults and a baby in a car seat, and yes, we can use the back seats to put the left over luggage that does not fit in the truck.

BUT:.... our stroller is not an umbrella style, its a City Mini GT which takes a little more space, AND, yes, our bags will be "BIG" because the trip is a "shopping trip" back to Brazil .... (ever seen those flights back to Brazil where everyone squeezes as much as possible in every possible space available...? that will be us.... since it is anywhere from 3-10 times cheaper to buy almost anything there, than here (Brazil).../)

SO: Going to TPA or RSW or MCO (was the only cheapest option) will not work for us, as we chose to get the "most direct" "all in" flights to where we will stay (friends house) in order to minimize the hassle of traveling with a 1.5 year old...

Also, reading on some of the other answers, I would be "afraid" to make two reservations, under the same name, specially since its a smaller location, in order to avoid both being canceled.

... On a positive side, I was able to use a good discount that brought the week rental with car seat, gps, ldw, etc... to about 350usd with all taxes on the full size. (seems like a good deal)

Thanks again everyone, and if there's anything else that I have not thought about, please let me know. Otherwise, I will report when I come back.

PS. on a side note, for those of you who know the SRQ airport, is there a bag wrap station there (those shrink wrap services that they use to "protect" the bag?)

Thanks...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by RedRobin
PS. on a side note, for those of you who know the SRQ airport, is there a bag wrap station there (those shrink wrap services that they use to "protect" the bag?)
I don't think I've ever seen a bag wrap station anywhere in the USA--at least not since shortly after 9/11 when the TSA gained the right to open luggage en route (and banned secure luggage locks). But they definitely don't have a bag wrap service at SRQ. It's a pretty small airport--extremely easy in/out, short queues, a nice saltwater fish tank (landside) and free wifi, but not much else in terms of amenities.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

thanks. I was aware that things "changed" after 9/11 ... but there are some places that still offer the bag wrap. MIA is one, for instance.

well,... cool to know that there is a fish tank.. my daughter will like watching it ;-) ... and I will be happy to use the free wifi until I can buy a prepaid chip...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Choice Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards OBM
Maybe you can get stuff wrapped at a FedEx/Kinkos.

Anyway I think a SUV would be prudent in your case, especially with the stroller. The only downside is that your belongings may be visible, unlike a sedan with an enclosed trunk. Most Hertz SUVs don't have cargo covers, although I've had a couple that did have them (most recently a Cadillac SRX, although that is in the Prestige Collection).

-J.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

jzweighaft, upon some more thinking, I am inclined to spend a few bucks more and get the mini van. the price is the same as a small suv, and I know it will fit everything .... and more !! ahah... I rented that the last time I traveled and did not regret it then (but we were 3+baby and had 6 bags...)

the mini suv would be nice. but to be safe rather than sorry, specially given that I dont know the final number of bags we will have AND the fact that there is no choice of cars, I might as well reserve what i want...

Ah... one more thing: I learned my lesson in MIA.. never, never, leave anything in the cars, with or without cover, trunk or no trunk. they will get "picked"... happened to us and a friend on our last trip (8 mths ago)... so shopping -> home and off to more shopping lol!

PS2: since there is no bag wrap, I will go the "getho (spelling) style" and buy a plastic wrap at home depot and wrap it myself... (if TSA opens, so be it...)

thanks you'all
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:35 pm

IME the trunk space in most FCARs and many ICARs is bigger than the cargo space in most small SUVs (unless you fold down the rear seat, which doesn't work well with a baby in the back seat). A minivan will definitely give you enough space, though.

And my kids LOVE that fish tank at SRQ. Actually, so do I. It's a teaser exhibit for the Mote Marine Aquarium, which is a great way to spend a rainy day with a toddler in the Sarasota area.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
Mote Marine Aquarium, which is a great way to spend a rainy day with a toddler in the Sarasota area.
added to the list of to do's.. thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Bump, anyone have recent experience at SRQ? I have PC and wondering if they still do not have Gold lot(s)?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 4:02 pm

SRQ is not on the list of airports with Hertz Ultimate Choice:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

I haven't rented a car there in a while, but I'm pretty sure the customer-facing operation is still a pretty basic regional airport style setup with a person at a traditional counter by the baggage claim who hands you the keys, and maybe another person on a folding chair in the parking lot across the road from the terminal (which now has rain and sun shades--used to just be an open lot) to make sure everything is OK. They only have a dozen or two parking spaces in the lot by the terminal so there's not much to choose from and I wouldn't expect much in the way of upgrades. But they do have a nearby service lot (that customers don't visit) so (at least in pre-pandemic times) they've always had the car I reserved. It's super convenient and easy. It just doesn't have the selection or bells/whistles of bigger airports like TPA and RSW.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
In my last Hertz rental experience at SRQ in October 2021, we were required to go to the Hertz counter in baggage claim to pick up keys for a pre-assigned car. That car met our needs so I did not attempt to ask for a change or upgrade. The lot where rental cars are parked at SRQ is not a gate-controlled lot, meaning you just drive out the exit without needing to stop at a booth. That's why keys are only at the desk and there is no UC available.

(I am Hertz Five Star).
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.