Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Fuel Scam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by providan
Rented a car from Hertz at Ft Myers Fl airport. Returned car with full tank (filled at airport Exxon) less than a mile from rental car return. Was in a hurry and did not get a final bill from Hertz. Next day noticed a charge of $164.73. No detail available from receipt online(may have to wait 7 days?). Called and found it was a charge for gas-really?? Was told to submit gas receipt which I did. Lucky I have Exxon Speedpass to retain receipts. Submitted receipt-still waiting for credit. Retain your gas receipts and take a picture of the gas gauge in the car with odometer when you return-maybe even take a video of Hertz employee saying ok on gas.. They seem to be charging about $12-$14 a gallon.
The gauge will read full even if you have driven 50 miles or so on the full tank, especially with cars that have digital fuel gauges, in which you might even be able to drive more. This reason is why having a full tank 8/8 printed on your rental return doesn’t guarantee anything until the vehicle is taken for refuel and cleaning, at which point some tolerance is given.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:54 pm

Even then how could you ever justify a charge of $164.73?? If that isn't a scam, I don't know what is? I will dispute the charge and contact your CEO, Florida Atty Gen'l etc.,etc.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even then how could you ever justify a charge of $164.73?? If that isn't a scam, I don't know what is? I will dispute the charge and contact your CEO, Florida Atty Gen'l etc.,etc.[
Hertz is permitted to charge a refuelling fee. the rate for refuelling is displayed by Hertz

If it was charged in error, then it should be refunded and it seems that Hertz has agreed to refund the charge after the receipt was provided. What is there to dispute?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:21 pm

Looks like Hertz is not your friendly company anymore. They have financial problems and are desperate and looking to pick your pocket. Now I'm wondering what else they'll do??

I haven't seen any response from verifyhertz.com . How long does it take? I sent it this morning. Also how long does it take to generate a detailed receipt which I don't have either? This is not a businesslike company anymore!

This stuff is something like I would have to watch out for in Mexico or somewhere else?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 6, 2018 at 4:36 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:03 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If you dispute the charge on your credit card you won't have any further issues with Hertz as you'll likely be put on the DNR list and forbidden to rent from them in the future.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:09 pm

haven't seen any response from verifyhertz.com . How long does it take? I sent it this morning. Also how long does it take to generate a detailed receipt which I don't have either? This is not a businesslike company anymore!
There is no need to make the posts a pain to read by using bold

You sent the details today - it will take a few days to process ; there isn't someone sat there waiting for your email ready to process it instantly
jackal and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am known among my friends as a great consumer advocate. I am always able to right a wrong or get some satisfaction or credit when I take on a " case" for my friends. The ONLY company that thwarted a near perfect record was Hertz over an excessive fuel charge. And it was my complaint. I spent countless hours writing and phoning and taking it as high as I could go....never got the charge reversed. That was 5 years ago. I haven't used them since.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:32 pm

In what way was it excessive?

Did Hertz claim that the number of miles or kilometres that the fuel charge was based on was different to that driven ( if based on miles/kilometres )
or
Did Hertz claim more gallons/itres than needed
or
Did Hertz charge a different rate to that it stated it would ?

If there was an error in the charging method, I am surprised that it was not possible to get it reversed.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In what way was it excessive?

Did Hertz claim that the number of miles or kilometres that the fuel charge was based on was different to that driven ( if based on miles/kilometres )
or
Did Hertz claim more gallons/itres than needed
or
Did Hertz charge a different rate to that it stated it would ?

If there was an error in the charging method, I am surprised that it was not possible to get it reversed.
It had to do with a single gallon of gas..... "excessive" to me at the time....but today hardly worth the story anymore.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:30 pm

So , the tank was not full and had to add a gallon of petrol and then Hertz charged for it at its published rate and somehow Hertz was in the wrong?

If this is the case, I cannot see any reason why Hertz would have backed down even with many hours of complaining
dayone and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:08 am

So tell us Dave-Do you think you would be happy if you returned a car with a full tank of gas and then were charged $164.73 for gas and detailed receipts were not available online (in this day and age) and then you also have to wait (how long) to get a confirmation after you sent a fuel receipt? You are probably a Hertz employee, but I don't think you would be happy as a customer. Not a very good marketing ploy. If you look at the Hertz financials and outlook and realize what's going on here you might want to be looking for another job.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:59 pm

So tell us Dave-Do you think you would be happy if you returned a car with a full tank of gas and then were charged $164.73 for gas and detailed receipts were not available online (in this day and age) and then you also have to wait (how long) to get a confirmation after you sent a fuel receipt? You are probably a Hertz employee, but I don't think you would be happy as a customer. Not a very good marketing ploy. If you look at the Hertz financials and outlook and realize what's going on here you might want to be looking for another job.
Would it be the end of the world? No

It has happened a couple of times and a call to customer services has dealt with it ; Customer services has an SLA here of 10 working days and it has been done in that time

It is not a common occurrence at all and incorrect charges have been dealt with . I wouldn't be ranting that I sent an email in the morning and that it hadn't been done the same day

No I do not work for Hertz

When I return a car I get a receipt at time of return
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123
On the other side of this, last week I was running late and didn't have time to refuel. I had used half a tank and the total fuel charge was only around $30. The fine print on the receipt says they charge $0.135 cents/mile or around $3.30 per gallon. Didn't they used to charge something crazy like $9/gallon?

It's nice to see them not gouging customers who don't have time to refuel anymore, if I'm remembering correctly.
Was it a corporate rental or CDP? When I rent for business the fuel rate is similar, around $.14/mile or equivalent per gallon, and my company tells us not to take time to refuel because the cost is the same. I imagine it's a negotiated item in the CDP contract. This is when renting for business; I can't remember if when I use the same CDP for a personal rental (which is allowed) the fuel rate is the same or the normal high pricing.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Would it be the end of the world? No

It has happened a couple of times and a call to customer services has dealt with it ; Customer services has an SLA here of 10 working days and it has been done in that time

It is not a common occurrence at all and incorrect charges have been dealt with . I wouldn't be ranting that I sent an email in the morning and that it hadn't been done the same day

No I do not work for Hertz

When I return a car I get a receipt at time of return
Sounds like Mayberry RFD. If Amazon were put on a similar similar timeframe they could put your package on the noon stage and it could take weeks-returns the same. When there are problems of seeming desperation like a gas scam and technological problems like taking days to respond to a customer inquiry and 7 days to post a detailed receipt online in 2018, it is may well be a sign of serious malfunction.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:24 pm

Sounds like Mayberry RFD. If Amazon were put on a similar similar timeframe they could put your package on the noon stage and it could take weeks-returns the same. When there are problems of seeming desperation like a gas scam and technological problems like taking days to respond to a customer inquiry and 7 days to post a detailed receipt online in 2018, it is may well be a sign of serious malfunction.
There is no scam - it is normal for customer services to take several days to deal with matters - get over it

Just wait a few days and it will be resolved - ranting on about them not replying same day or calling it a scam doesn't assist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.