Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Note for renters in NYC - Starting June 30, 2024 (pending final approval), be aware of the congestion fee/toll that will be assessed via PlatePass or personal transponder if you drive into the Congestion Relief Zone that includes all local streets and avenues in Manhattan south of and including 60 Street, excluding the FDR Drive, West Side Highway/Route 9A, and the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel connections to West Street.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...30-2024-a.html
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2024, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you in fact use any toll roads, bridges, or tunnels? If not, ask Hertz to provide details of the toll(s) claimed. You might be able to demonstrate that you could not possibly have incurred the toll(s) at the times and places claimed.
Yes but paid cash for all tolls. Will ask for details. Double checked with my wife and she said she also did not touch the box and specifically looked at it to make sure it stayed closed.

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
And if you did, did you use your own transponder and both transponders were charged? I believe I've read if you can show your own transponder was charged at the same time, they will waive at least some of it.
Paid cash so no receipt

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 24, 2024 at 5:14 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 24, 2024, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Paid cash so no receipt
Weren't receipts offered at at least one of the cash lanes? If you pass through a toll with a rental car and pay cash, you must always get a receipt to protect yourself.
Xyzzy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jul 24, 2024, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Weren't receipts offered at at least one of the cash lanes? If you pass through a toll with a rental car and pay cash, you must always get a receipt to protect yourself.
I don't know as I had not considered that previously. Some of the toll booths were exact change, no attendant there. Not sure if they offer receipts. One basket was obviously broken as there was a pile of coins in the basket. Threw in exact change and moved on. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Jul 24, 2024, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know as I had not considered that previously. Some of the toll booths were exact change, no attendant there. Not sure if they offer receipts. One basket was obviously broken as there was a pile of coins in the basket. Threw in exact change and moved on. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
On NJ toll roads, lanes which offer receipts are signed in red:

Note: there are some on-ramps and off-ramps on the Garden State Parkway which do not have staffed "receipt" lanes -- at least, not 24/7.
Auto Enthusiast and ucdtim17 like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 25, 2024 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 1, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, Air NZ Koru and TSA vilifier extraordinaire.
So, sorry, newbie question to this issue - I have an NC EZ PAss account and will be renting a car from Hertz at PHL and driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. If I take my transponder with me it will catch the tolls and I can ignore/decline any plate pass option? That's the gist of what I read on Auto Slash.

Old Aug 1, 2024, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Yes. If there's a grey plastic transponder box on the windshield of your vehicle, make sure it is tightly closed and mount your personal transponder in a place where it can be read. My PA tolls posted to my NY E-Z Pass account about two calendar days after I passed through the toll readers.
Xyzzy, dwcatty and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 9:51 am

Rented in NJ, did not touch transponder beyond noticing it was closed and I just got an email saying they charged me $129.95 PlatePass all inclusive fee. Any way out of this?
Closing this loop: PlatePass did not provide me a statement of the tolls that were supposedly incurred. I received this email this morning:

I have reviewed your account and concluded my research. I was able to identify a discrepancy that indicates that the tolls reported against the vehicle are invalid.

I’m issuing you a full adjustment of $129.95. Please allow up to 5 business days for it to post back to the original payment method.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to respond to this email.

Thank you for contacting PlatePass®.
All's well that ends well I guess. Going to be a little more paranoid on any toll roads in the future and will try to get receipts if I pay cash.
Xyzzy, guv1976 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Aug 11, 2024, 7:27 pm

Hi

Not sure if your trip has concluded... if not, watch for the 'new' cars.. they don't have transponders and magically by reading the license plate Hertz charges you..

You have to let Hertz before you take the car out of the lot so that the back office can note it... that way, when / if they DO charge you, you can show your receipts or data from your EZ pass account and dispute it... On a trip last year, I informed the front desk because the car did not have a transponder. They did 'something'... I never got charged by Hertz, although I was traveling from NJ to NY to MA to NH to Maine and back...
Old Aug 11, 2024, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Skytizen
Hi

Not sure if your trip has concluded... if not, watch for the 'new' cars.. they don't have transponders and magically by reading the license plate Hertz charges you..
To the best of my knowledge, on all roads, the transponder takes precedence over license plate reading. For most roads, license plate reading is part of violation processing although with many roads now cashless, while it's no longer a violation, it's still the same process. So if there's a good transponder read, then the license plate is never looked at. Hence no reason to notify Hertz you'll be using your own transponder.

As a data point supporting this, I've had issues with our California FasTrak being read until I moved it to a non-standard location. When it read, it appeared on our statement by transponder number only. But when it didn't read, then it showed up on the statement by license plate number (part of processing license plates is to see if that license plate is registered to a FasTrak account).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.