Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

DEN Rental Help - Early AM Return or Return the Night Before?

Old Feb 24, 2022 | 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

Hoping someone can assist me with a question that I have on an upcoming reservation out of DEN. I am Gold (through Amex Plat), if that matters.

Rental details:
Pick Up: DEN Sun., June 5 @ 11am
Return: DEN Wed., June 8 @ 7am
Mustang GT / Camaro SS (V4)

I now have to fly out of DEN on June 8th on a 6am flight and will be staying at a hotel near the airport the night before (6/7). I am not able to update the reservation to return the night before as it says the car I selected is not available if I make these modifications. Also, not able to re-book the reservation to return the night earlier either, as this car class is not available (and I would really like to keep the car I selected for some Colorado mountain driving...)

So, I think I have two options. Does any one have any recommendations?
  1. Return the car around 4am on Wednesday, June 8th. I assume I can just drop the car off at this point even if they are not officially open yet? If so, is the shuttle to the airport terminal running at this time? Hopefully no early return penalty would apply by returning it 3 hours early?
  2. Return the car the night before it is scheduled to be returned (Tues., 6/7) around 10pm, and take the hotel shuttle or Uber to the hotel that night, and hotel shuttle or Uber back to the airport terminal the next morning. I am worried that I may be penalized for early return if I go this route since I am not set to return until the next morning -- would I get charged a higher rate / penalty if I did that?
Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 24, 2022 | 5:19 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Hertz at DEN airport hours are 5 am to 2 am. So probably no shuttle at 4 am--You would probably need to Uber it. I have not had a problem dropping off a car before a place is open--I would call and ask or ask when you pick up a car. That is what I do. Here is the DEN Airport Hentz number 303 342-3800
Old Feb 24, 2022 | 6:02 pm
In Memoriam
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would definitely do the second option. I doubt if it will cost any more.
Old Feb 24, 2022 | 6:27 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

2nd option, it still counts as 3 days and there shouldn't be any penalty for early return
You will have a good night sleep after getting the actual receipt from Hertz instead of doing after-hour drop off.
Old Feb 25, 2022 | 3:23 am
5 Years on Site

Anything more than 3 hours is charged as a full day, so you should always book in 24 hour blocks. That way you have flexibility if your plans change. There's no need to change the reservation to return early.

Option 1 is the easiest and cheapest. There is no penalty for returning early and after-hours return is available (as it is at almost every location). Hertz DEN opens at 5:00 AM and there will probably already be staff there getting ready for the day. The only catch is the shuttle; if it's not yet running, you could take an Uber, and it would still be cheaper than the hotel plan you mentioned.
Old May 29, 2024 | 8:26 am
20 Countries Visited1M80 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Just following up to see if there was a resolution here. I'm looking at a 545a flight from DEN and if the shuttles aren't running until 5, that's a no go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.