Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz ruined 2 vacations in less than a month, what are my options for recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz ruined 2 vacations in less than a month, what are my options for recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The Las Vegas rental car center is open 24/7. It is a huge international airport with flights arriving all times of the day and night.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 11:53 pm

I hate to say but it's a new norm in the post-covid era where some HLE locations fail to manage their inventory and never call customer about overbooking situations in advance. That's why more travelers start to book back up reservations.
For the first case, If I were you I would simply pick up at airport, pay the extra, or immediately check rates with other companies at the airport. You can also consider to use Turo as a last resort.
I don't know how it works in US, but consumer union or small claim court would be my choice to negotiate a refund in price differences. It's not worth ruining your whole vacation because of this.

Second case, it's all about the insurance coverage.
1, Immediately check LDW coverage with credit card insurance company and initiate a claim, I think major car insurance companies do not cover rentals outside of US/Canada, so the cc coverage may become primary. It's not like a major accident but the car was still damaged during your rental period, and rental companies at some places do make profit from damages and loss of use.
2, I believe it's not your fault. I had a flat tire once because the rental company did not properly inflate all tires. I complained over and over but the company still charged me for the tire. After that incident, I always bring a pen-type tire gauge and check the pressure before leaving the parking lot. Lot attendant even laughed at me and said it is not necessary, but I've learnt my lesson.
It's just an unfortunate event but insurance coverage is used for something like this to minimize losses.
cscasi likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Situation 1 can easily be avoided by prepaying the rental. Because if it's prepaid, you aren't simply holding a reservation but Hertz has a binding contract with you.and you have a way stronger leg to stand on. They'd probably would have had a car ferried over from the airport or inconvenienced someone else.
In similar circumstances (think FL the day before Thanksgiving, tons of demand, no cars), I received vehicles that were intended for other customers because I prepaid and I`ve never been left stranded. This is valid for hotels, too

Item 2: These things happen. And judging by how quickly they came across with the bill it apparently wasn't the first time this specific damage occurred. You're on the hook there, no doubt about it.
After being hit with costs after accidents where the guilty party was underinsured I never - NEVER - rent cars without a worry-free, zero-deductible all-inclusive package that will let me walk away from everything with no cost out of pocket anymore. I have a third-party policy (from here) that takes care of this even with small cash-only operators in remote places.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhomburg
After being hit with costs after accidents where the guilty party was underinsured I never - NEVER - rent cars without a worry-free, zero-deductible all-inclusive package that will let me walk away from everything with no cost out of pocket anymore. I have a third-party policy (from here) that takes care of this even with small cash-only operators in remote places.
No such thing as worry-free insurance. We rented a car in Dublin years ago, started to leave the airport and could smell the clutch, we never left the airport grounds and returned the car for an automatic, we only had the car for 10 minutes. No issues returning and leaving for home. We purchased the max rental insurance for both rentals. A month later we receive a bill for a new clutch on the first rental and that due to negligence their insurance would not cover anything. Some stern exchanges lasting months, they finally dropped it. Ridiculous how these foreign locations try to scam you, even if you have the insurance.

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Item 1 -- this is a learning experience for OP. Since COVID, all of the major rental car companies have had supply issues. The ONLY reliable place to get a car is at an airport location. Especially after working hours/ evenings/ nights. Local rental outlets, like HLEs, are really intended for local daytime activity (cars in the shop, neighborhood people).
Airports are not always reliable either, I’ve had the no cars issue and take what they have or get nothing scenario in the past year at airport locations. Supply, demand, and people who rent to return to the same location, then return to another location and pay the drop fee are a huge problem.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 27, 2023 at 6:02 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: AA,DELTA,CO,BA,QANTAS,MEXICANA,TAM,
Don't let go...fight!

Originally Posted by Cg Racing
I haven't yet attempted to see what my credit card(which has car rental insurance) will or will not cover, but this wasn't an "accident"; so I'm not sure what my options are here. Anybody have any ideas?

Facebook, Instagram place it all over the net.....similar thing happened to us in Porto, Portugal....
and worst my amex credit card did nothing , I lost the dispute!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 27, 2023 at 6:04 pm Reason: repaired and shortened quote and released from mod queue
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,AMEX,SPG
And even secondary LDW coverage will typically be primary coverage for rentals originating outside of the U.S.
Where did you come by this information? I
have researched several credit cards that provide LDW outside the USA, but are only secondary in coverage. Just curious as to which cards you are referring to.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Situation 1 can easily be avoided by prepaying the rental. Because if it's prepaid, you aren't simply holding a reservation but Hertz has a binding contract with you.and you have a way stronger leg to stand on. They'd probably would have had a car ferried over from the airport or inconvenienced someone else.
Is there any evidence that that is corporate policy and actually followed by corporate and licensee locations? Remember, we are talking about Hertz here.
weero and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cscasi
And even secondary LDW coverage will typically be primary coverage for rentals originating outside of the U.S.
Where did you come by this information? I
have researched several credit cards that provide LDW outside the USA, but are only secondary in coverage. Just curious as to which cards you are referring to.
All US card that offers rental coverage becomes primary when outside US on the basis that US personal auto insurance don’t cover rentals outside of US/Canada.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Is there any evidence that that is corporate policy and actually followed by corporate and licensee locations? Remember, we are talking about Hertz here.
It doesn’t increase your chances of getting a car. It just means you have a stronger case when taking them to (small claims) court after the fact.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 27, 2023 at 5:59 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:24 am

Location: Farmington Hills, MI, USA, NWA MillionAir, Gold or Plat since '92
Programs: Delta Million Miler
Where to rent a car from in PLS; not Hertz!

Re: car rental in Turks & Caicos.... I presume you were renting at PLS. The vehicles are usually old with plenty of miles on them so it's important for your protection to take a quick video of the exterior & interior of it. That said, we always rent from a local company (Grace Bay Rental). In one case, a hub cap was lost somewhere along one of our drives. I reported it when I returned the car and was told that it "happens lots of times" and don't worry about it. On subsequent trips, I've noted that hub caps are secured with zip ties. In another case, our battery died when we were going out for dinner at 6:00 PM on Saturday. I phoned their office expecting to hear a message that their offices were closed until Monday. Instead, the phone was answered and a mechanic arrived and we had a replacement battery installed within 30 minutes. We had an excellent dinner!
seawolf and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:39 am

“Hertz” and the other rental car companies are more brands than companies. For the most part, except at major USA airports (like the OP at LAS) when you visit a location with a Hertz sign, you are dealing with an independent franchisee with no legal connection to Hertz. Those companies get an electronic communication daily with info from people who booked with Hertz advising them of online bookings for their location. Perhaps they have cars perhaps not. Hertz doesn’t care. Those companies then manually type your information into their proprietary system and make you a manual booking. This is why at most Hertz locations they spend so much time typing when they should have had all of your Gold information in the system already. A Hertz sign does not mean you’re renting from Hertz - you’re probably not.

The real area of profit in car renting is the insurance add-ons. Stories like the OPs about a ridiculous charge are what feed the profitable add ons. This is why the franchises hard sell the add ons and in some cases force you into them, like often in Mexico.

My strategy for my many international bookings is being willing to walk if the terms get too crazy. You just can’t rely on a rental car booking. Seinfeld pointed this out brilliantly decades ago. They can take a reservation, they just can’t hold a reservation.

Recently at the “Hertz” location at London Gatwick, the franchisee was out of gasoline powered cars and only sending out Teslas. Reservations be damned. Hertz at Gatwick had completely different terms and deductibles for the Teslas. Mileage was very limited and deducibles were higher. This on top of the major inconvenience of needing to find chargers for the vehicles.

My strategy:
#1: Avoid renting cars. Often the sum of taxi and Uber charges can be less than the car rental / parking / gas / headache cost. In Europe public transport is worth figuring out.
#2: When a rental is unavoidable, for example going to Zion, have a backup plan. A clue to a potential rental car shortage is high prices. If you’re seeing unusually high rental car prices it likely that there is a big event in town and cars will be out. High prices are a sign that you’ll have trouble no matter the rental company. Make other plans. Car rental companies simply don’t honor reservations when they oversell, and they oversell when prices are high.
#3: Pay using a credit card with a reliable record of paying claims. I’ve had two claims on my Amex Platinum. In both cases they paid promptly and in full, except for taxes.
#4: I never buy the supplemental insurances. If they demand that I buy them I usually walk out unless I’m totally stuck.
#5: Be able and willing to walk away from a car rental desk without a car.
#6: Repair scams are not that frequent. I’ve rented hundreds of times from some very “banana” agencies and _never_ had them fabricate damage that I didn’t actually cause or have happen on my watch. The OP had some bad luck with the tire cover falling off. His AMEX card would have paid for it. The agency won’t take my Amex? Walk. 100%.
BA.GOLD likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 10:58 am

I disagree with your #2. I've never been outright denied a rental. Several times if Alamo was out, we had to walk over to National, same price. Same when Budget was out, they gave us one from the Avis aisle, same price.

But I always rent from an airport, if possible, Just so much more inventory. Not worth saving a few bucks, and do you really? Off site you have to pay to get there, they often have limited hours, then you have to pay again to go from there back to the airport anyway. I really find it hard to believe in the OP's Vegas situation that the airport was $700 more than the off-site - but since I don't rent off site, I have no frame of reference.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Lufthansa Miles & More
It always seems to be Hertz delivering appallingly bad service, or none at all, doesn't it. Personally I have never had a problem with Enterprise or Sixt and agree with the view expressed above that the mid market companies are the way to go, not the biggest or smallest, most expensive or cheapest. I've had issues with Hertz in the past, mostly around not getting the type of vehicle I had booked or once them not having a car at all for me and claiming, falsely, that they had sent me an SMS Text message cancelling my rental and so that made it all ok. Avis used to advertise themselves with the slogan "We Try Harder" Hertz don't seem to try at all.
weero, Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Cg Racing
..While I’m sure Hertz did not intentionally leave the cover loose..
Way too much benefit of the doubt there.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In the 1st situation, not sure what more the agents could do. It didn't have a car, but did check local locations for availability. That the taxes/fees are higher at the airport is something that they have no control over...
They could have shuttled over a car from the airport, then those levies and fees do not apply. But that would have resembled work on their behalf ....

..damaage occurred whilst you had the car and you were then charged accordingly for the damage..
I don't think that happened. It was an unfit vehicle. If a wheel came off on the highway, the windscreen folded in, or the roof came off, it also wouldn't be a damage cause by the renter.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weero
They could have shuttled over a car from the airport, then those levies and fees do not apply. But that would have resembled work on their behalf ....
There would have to be 2 people with time to do this plus it would have to be a shared fleet

Originally Posted by weero
I don't think that happened. It was an unfit vehicle. If a wheel came off on the highway, the windscreen folded in, or the roof came off, it also wouldn't be a damage cause by the renter.
The renter is responsible for checking any existing damage and ensuring it is recorded. If it isnt recorded, it didnt exist.the renter didn't indicate any existing issue
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:42 pm

I would like to know which Hertz location in Vegas the OP rented from....they range from Henderson to Summerlin, from North to South, looks like at least a dozen.

And what exactly did he do when his Zion trip was cancelled - turn around and fly home the next day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.