Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024 | 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by DELee
As ​​​kirkwoodj indicates, it is the "station access fee" charged by Transport for NSW to access the Sydney Airport from the CBD and vice versa. It is to exclusively screw tourists.

It is quite similar to the same basic fees charged by MTA to access JFK or NJ Transit to EWR or Transport for London to access LHR.

Or the added costs of taxis or shuttles going from MSY to downtown New Orleans.

Such stuff like that.

David
How convenient is the train journey from the airport (arriving on United) to the Hilton? Is there a stop near the hotel—say within half a mile?
Old May 21, 2024 | 6:31 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
How convenient is the train journey from the airport (arriving on United) to the Hilton? Is there a stop near the hotel—say within half a mile?
Trains run from Sydney International Airport to Town Hall Station at least every 15 minutes, or so, during the day. There are about 8 stops in between. The train runs on a normal suburban line. The walk from Town Hall station to the Hilton (George Street) is less than 300 yards (probably closer to 250 yards).

Last edited by DC9; May 21, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Old May 21, 2024 | 6:50 pm
30 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 2.75MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
i just hop off at St James if the weather isn't poor. Easy flat walk 3-4 blocks, even with luggage. Can use the lift to get up to street level if heavy bags.
Old May 21, 2024 | 7:58 pm
40 Countries Visited100k100 Nights

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Westin Sydney is a fantastic property as well
Westin Sydney no longer exists - it is the Fullerton Hotel now.
Old May 26, 2024 | 10:09 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
i just hop off at St James if the weather isn't poor. Easy flat walk 3-4 blocks, even with luggage. Can use the lift to get up to street level if heavy bags.
I believe that Town hall Station is even closer to the Hilton. About one block away.
Old May 27, 2024 | 10:47 am
30 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 2.75MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
I believe that Town hall Station is even closer to the Hilton. About one block away.
But a longer ride on the train if coming from airport…
Old May 27, 2024 | 1:30 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

How does the lounge at the Hilton compare with the lounge at the Sheraton, in terms of food & drink available? For breakfast does the Hilton lounge offer any egg dishes other than scrambled eggs?
Old May 27, 2024 | 7:43 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
But a longer ride on the train if coming from airport…
Three extra stops. Virtually no extra cost but much easier if you have any appreciable amount of baggage.
Zurich likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2024 | 9:16 pm

Lobby refurbishment

Walked past the hotel last night, and the following caught my eye.
They are redoing some parts of the lobby, and a temporary check-in desk has been set up near the concierge desk.
It also seems that the hotel will be celebrating its 50th year in 2025. Curious to know if anyone thinks there will be a "party" or public celebration; having stayed at this hotel 50+ times, I'd fly to Sydney for it.

Old Oct 4, 2024 | 2:09 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: QF P, HH D
The check in desk has reopened and some floors have been renovated. They appear to be going bottom up. I am not sure if I am a fan of the new tones, (modern day) Hilton design language is usually pretty minimalist in style but the new changes seem a bit blingy for what I am use to. Maybe it will grow on me later.

Currently completing a stay here, checked in earlier today and unfortunately out of 30+ times, having my worst stay here. It isn't exceptionally bad by any means. Just I have very high standards for this property. I think it is struggling under how busy it is for the long weekend combined with certain sections closed for renovations.

A lot could have been avoided if there was a notice when booking or before arrival about the renovations (I actually had a booking at the nearby curio and changed). I knew the lobby was being renovated but not on the actual floors. The first I knew about the renovations was when I got to my room and I could hear the construction noises from the floor above. I was on a tight schedule and expected to sleep immediately after arriving.

I spoke to magic, initially they didn't want to do anything but after escalating to a manager they moved me to another floor away from the construction noises but the process took a couple hours.

I moved to a new room and walking down the hall I smelt something I have never smelt at a Hilton in Australia. Marijuana smoke. I can't smell it within the room. But it is not legal in Australia and certainly not in doors.

The lift line is as bad as I have ever seen it, I think at least one is closed for renovation.

And none of that includes, no upgrade or late check out, which is to be expected due to capacity, as I have had plenty of generous upgrades here before as a Diamond.

Nothing completely terrible going on but for a property I normally have such a pleasant stay at, it's a shame this time. Especially considering how high the rate was.
Old Oct 4, 2024 | 5:44 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by banana0692
...Nothing completely terrible going on but for a property I normally have such a pleasant stay at, it's a shame this time. Especially considering how high the rate was.
Yes, the rates are pretty steep - especially if you want to stay in the CBD. The problem is that there are not too many choices in Sydney with Hilton, unlike other chains such as Marriott or IHG. Add to that breakfast benefits that have been cut and pretty spartan lounge offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.