Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Were upgrades ever policy at Hampton Inns and Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Were upgrades ever policy at Hampton Inns and Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Question Were upgrades ever policy at Hampton Inns and Suites?

I recently had a conversation with a Hampton Inn & Suites G.M. regarding suite upgrades at his property.

Part of the discussion revolved around upgrades, and I do completely understand that they are not a published benefit at Hampton Inns.

He insisted that suite upgrades had been policy at Hampton Inns and Suites until about 6 months ago.

I had thought that upgrades had never been a policy for Hampton Inns. Can anybody enlighten me?

Thank you,
David
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I recently had a conversation with a Hampton Inn & Suites G.M. regarding suite upgrades at his property.

Part of the discussion revolved around upgrades, and I do completely understand that they are not a published benefit at Hampton Inns.

He insisted that suite upgrades had been policy at Hampton Inns and Suites until about 6 months ago.

I had thought that upgrades had never been a policy for Hampton Inns. Can anybody enlighten me?

Thank you,
David
Certainly not within the last 2 years. But perhaps he meant that at HIS Hampton suite upgrades had been policy?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by DiverDave

Thank you,
David
I've had them, but the facility has to have something to upgrade you to and if so no one else has it (e.g. some one who paid for it).

Bob H
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My experience is that it depends on the property. The one Hampton that I frequent has a number of studio suites, when I book a standard room I have almost always been upgraded to a studio suite as a Diamond (including my 3 stays this month).

I've stayed at a handful of other Hamptons over the past 1-2 years and have not received any upgrades, even on a single night stay. I have no idea if they had any suites at these locations as I didn't inquire.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
Certainly not within the last 2 years. But perhaps he meant that at HIS Hampton suite upgrades had been policy?
I understood his statement to mean that it had been a policy for all Hampton Inns and Suites up until six months ago, not just his property. He was very insistent about it. I was sure from reading here on FT that it has never been a policy for the brand, but has been done at some properties as an extra.

I had been upgraded most of the time (upon request at check-in), but now it seems he will ensure it doesn't happen anymore. And I probably won't bother asking. (Unfortunately the only HH property in town.)

It was a strange and unhappy conversation, and I am writing him a follow-up letter. The response (if any) should be fascinating.

Thanks for the responses!
David
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I certainly do not recall it was ever (in my time as a HHonors member) a policy to upgrade elites to suites at Hamptons. It has happened infrequently to me, as have other upgrades, but in my understanding these were granted by the property, not because of Hilton HHonors policies - at least that were published for non-employees to peruse.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Sounds similar to this thread from last year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ampton+benefit
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Sounds similar to this thread from last year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ampton+benefit
An interesting thread - perhaps hamptoninnsider will weigh in.

Thanks!
David
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I always get comp upgrades at two Hamptons I frequent. Probably only because I'm a repeat Diamond.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
To my knowledge, it's never a policy for HI to upgrade Gold/Diamond members. Actually, I don't think it makes a difference for HI to upgrade me or not - most HIs I stayed have cookie-cut rooms with poor decor tastes and weather-worn carpets, which are isolated in small remote towns simply I didn't have any other options.

However, HI in big cities is a quite different story. I once was upgraded to a suite by HI Montreal, but I never count on that as an official policy and certainly won't expect any upgrade from HI in the future...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HH Diamond VIP Hertz 5 Star Gold Avis First Preferred
Don't know what the stated policy is, but I stay at quite a few Hampton Inn's and Inn's & Suites. As a Diamond, I am upgraded about 90% of the time. Most of the Hampton Inn's dont have suites, so I will usually get a king study which is a very nice room.

At the Inn's & Suites, they are for the most part newer hotels and the suites are IMO outstanding, some with fireplaces & whirlpools. Sure beats the crappy Four Points I used to stay at when I was with Starwood, most of them reminded me of a rundown Holiday Inn.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ANDYBNJ
Don't know what the stated policy is, but I stay at quite a few Hampton Inn's and Inn's & Suites. As a Diamond, I am upgraded about 90% of the time. Most of the Hampton Inn's dont have suites, so I will usually get a king study which is a very nice room.
Ditto here.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

I was adamantly told that upgrades were not policy about 4 years ago when we wanted a king bedded room ($10 more at the Mackinac City, Michigan, Hampton Inn) instead of a double bedded room. My Hilton Diamond Line rep affirmed it.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
It sounds like a rookie GM who does not know what he/she is talking about.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses! I am hoping to follow up with the GM after he receives my letter.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.