Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hiltons charging for luggage storage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012 | 2:49 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

This fall I was at a Hilton property that was charging $1 a bag to store bags but a big conferffence was finishing up so I thought maybe that was the reason, as I have seen the Hyatt in Chicago charge for bag storage for this conference I attend every year and just paid the $2 to store the 2 bags (I cant remember if it was the SF Union square or the Hilton Chicago now).

Was at the Washington Hilton on Conneticuit this weeekend and asked the belllman to hold 2 bags and he said there was a $1 charge!!!! There is no convention going on and in fact the I am in the EL right now killing time before my flight and I am the only person here right now who isnt an employee and the hotel was preetty quiet. I have stayed at thie property before and have never been charged to store my bags.

Also wondering if the bell staff gets any of the $ or if it goes straight to the hotel. I usually tip $3 if they hold one bag and $5 for 2 bags. I didnt have a $5 bill and only had 3 ones when I returned. Normally I go to the front desk and get change but today only tipped $3. If the hotel is being greedy and getting the money I have no p roblemnstipping the bell staff the same since it isnt their doing. If the bell staff is getting the $ or part of it, I feel it is appropriate to ajdust the tip appropriately. Not even sure how Hilton can audit that. If they charge $1 per bag I know its easy to do based on t he number of bag tags used, but if they will use 2 bags tags for $1, how can they audit that. The bell clerk could have 2 people checking 1 bag each and turning in $1 tell;ing the property that a person checked 2 bags and paid $1.

I hope this isnt a sign of things to come at HHilton properties. I realize its only $1 or $2 but I think its petty for them to charge this fee,
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 2:54 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
This is ridiculous!! I have never been charged for storage and I hope this is not a new HH policy!! Sounds really cheap!!

I awlays tip more than $1 per bag and I would hate to see this money to go from those people's pockets to the hotel!!
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 3:01 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
This is ridiculous!! I have never been charged for storage and I hope this is not a new HH policy!! Sounds really cheap!!

I awlays tip more than $1 per bag and I would hate to see this money to go from those people's pockets to the hotel!!
I remember when airline started charging to check bags curbside after 9/11 to non-elites , some of the employees (who arent airline employees in many cases) were complaining that not only were their tips going down because fewer people were checking bags, but those that were checking bags werent tipping as much if at all, even though the airline got all the money.

Hopefully the employees are getting at least part of the $. I am considering emailing hilton or calling the diamond desk. If hilton gets enough complaints, it might stop other properties from finding another source of revenue.
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Easy Solution

I've found that hotels are generally most responsive when you raise the issue at checkout. They ask how your stay was and you say, "it was great but I hate being nickled and dimed over XXX." If put nicely, almost uniformly the charge is credited or they simply take something off the total.

This sort of anecdotal complaint also gets reported to the local property management which may or may not do something if I'm not the only complainer.
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
If you're going to take the time to complain to the hotel, you can probably find a long list of other reasons beyond a $1 charge (which IMO is not unreasonable; they're providing a service).

If you don't like the $1/bag charge, then you're always free to bring your bag with you.
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 3:49 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
If you're going to take the time to complain to the hotel, you can probably find a long list of other reasons beyond a $1 charge (which IMO is not unreasonable; they're providing a service).

If you don't like the $1/bag charge, then you're always free to bring your bag with you.
And a hotel is allso providing a service when they do housekeeping but that is included in the room rate. Seeing the number of nights some diamonds give Hilton over the course of year, those charges will add up if they are typically one night stays and they use the bag hodling service a lot.

There have been cases, like today where I didnt request a late check out and just had my bags held if they were packed, which helps their housekeeping staff out as well
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Seems like an EC thing, it's prevalent in NYC. And yes I abhor it too.
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Often1
I've found that hotels are generally most responsive when you raise the issue at checkout. They ask how your stay was and you say, "it was great but I hate being nickled and dimed over XXX." If put nicely, almost uniformly the charge is credited or they simply take something off the total.

This sort of anecdotal complaint also gets reported to the local property management which may or may not do something if I'm not the only complainer.
Easier solution -- if they won't give you 'free' storage, just ask for a late check out.

Of course, that cuts down in the time it takes them to get the room ready for the next guest and that gives you a lever arm.

Bob H
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

A little sharp in tone, but fair in content.

Nobody's ever rented a lugagge cart in a U.S. airport? They're $4 in PHX, and that's an airport-subsidized price.
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 7:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you don't like the price don't store your bags there. As long as they let you know up front there's a charge, I don't have a problem with it. I've even seen hotels that have signs up with rates.

A can of soda costs me seventeen cents, a hotel probably buying a truck full pays considerably less than that. The hotel will sell me that sixteen cent can of soda for $2.50 or so. It should be no surprise they found a new source of income, the baggage storage fee, they will make money from any source they can.
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 9:18 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
If you don't like the price don't store your bags there. As long as they let you know up front there's a charge, I don't have a problem with it. I've even seen hotels that have signs up with rates.

A can of soda costs me seventeen cents, a hotel probably buying a truck full pays considerably less than that. The hotel will sell me that sixteen cent can of soda for $2.50 or so. It should be no surprise they found a new source of income, the baggage storage fee, they will make money from any source they can.
And the price of a soda is clearly stated on the mini bar. I have stayed at this hotel everal other times and have never been charged and there was no signs up stating they charged for bag storage. If there would have been signs posted I would have just asked for a late check out and kept my bags in my room. IMO that would be like if the Exec lounge would have tried charging me for soda or bottled water this weekend.

I know airlines are always charging fees for every little thing, but they waive the fees for their best customers or substantially discount them. If Hilton or any other hotel chain is going to start charging for bag storeage fees then they should discount it for their gold and diamonds.

cansee a bag storeage fee being the next nor-1 discount
Old Jan 15, 2012 | 9:27 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobH
Easier solution -- if they won't give you 'free' storage, just ask for a late check out.

Of course, that cuts down in the time it takes them to get the room ready for the next guest and that gives you a lever arm.

Bob H
Which is what I would have done had I known. I had been given a late checkout and was at the end of the hall on the top floor and thought it would be easier to just store them downstairs.

If someone has a redeye that isn't an option. If this "fee" is in place becaue many people aren't tipping and it's being split amont the staff, I don't have a problem with it, I just would like to know that is the case and I will deduct the fee off the tip and I won't be out anything in the end and the employee won't either. If the hotel is getting the fee then like airline fees for valet checking, the fees should be waived for their better customers.

My issue also is what will they charge you a fee for next that is normally just a tipped service. Will they start charging a $2 fee to hail a cab? Start charging for soda and water in the Exec Lounge?

There have also been at least 2 occassions in the past year where I arrived after check in time and my room wasn't ready and I had to store my bags. I will have a serious issue if they try to charge me for bag storage in those instances.
Old Jan 16, 2012 | 6:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
DT in HNL did not charge me for bag storage for a late flight, though late flights are common.
Must be hotel specific
Old Jan 16, 2012 | 7:27 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cullen24
DT in HNL did not charge me for bag storage for a late flight, though late flights are common.
Must be hotel specific
I stay in hotels a lot and this is the only the second time I have encountered a Hilton property charging me for bag fees and I have been charged once by the Hyatt Chicago to store a bag but that was the end of a conference that had book the entire hotel and not sure if they normally charge or not (but seeing the conference sold out the entire hotel as well as all the conferenece room and convention space on a weekend that normally doesn't sell out, I thought it was petty). This same conference was at the Chicago Hilton a couple years ago and they also charged to store bags and this property never charged me before or after (at least here if you showed a silver or higher HH card they waived the fee) so some properties must like to try to get all the fees they can out of convention attendees.
Old Jan 16, 2012 | 9:38 am

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
why I'm not surprised? well, after being charged $3.75 for asking to bring extra blanket, nickelanddiming from Hilton is nothing new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.