Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is it ok to use a Debit Card to pay for hotel stays? Will there be problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond

Can anyone advise me?? If you use a Debit card to pay the deposit, they will deduct the amount straightaway... After settling the bill on checkout, will there be problems with releasing the amount held on the debit card? Will the refund be easy??
Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: BA blue, AVIS, Air Canada Aeroplan, Hilton Gold
I did that this summer in 6 different Hilton-hotels in the USA. They always withdraw an amount of 100-200 dollars at once, that took about 7-14 days to get back into my Swedish account. I then payed the normal roomrate at the checkout. You can pay with a debit card without any problems.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The key part here is to make sure that you have enough money on the account to cover the initial withdrawal, and also understand that it might take time, as previously mentioned, for the money to return into the account. This might affect you if you plan on using that money for something else.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the replies... May I know if I can use a debit card(mastercard) for the booking through the HH website like a normal credit card?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
If it has the mastercard logo on it then it should work on the HH website.

Neil
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Also something to note, they may take a little more for incidentals, so make sure you have a little extra in case.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
As one who used to work the Front Desk at a Hilton family property:

The debit card will be "charged" immediately when you check in, for the amount of the stay AND up to $100/day of your stay. That amount of money will be totally unavailable to you during your stay and some time after. When you check out, it can take up 14 days to get the money back to your account (it depends on the financial institution, not the hotel).

I had a honeymoon couple check in on a Saturday - gave me their debit card for their 5 night stay. When they went out to dinner that night, they discovered their card was refused at the restaurant. Poor kids had NO money left on the account!!! The only place they could eat was at the hotel, where they put the bills on their folio. They couldn't go shopping or do anything that cost. They had to get one of their parents to deposit more money in their account after the weekend...

What I always recommend after that: If you have a credit card, use it for the reservation (unless a pre-pay) guarantee and when you check in. It only does an authorization, not an actual charge at that time. When you want to pay, feel free to change over to the debit card for the actual payment. The authorizations will fall off your CC and no charges occurred.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:56 am

At check in you can request that they only charge room and taxes to your card and block other charges to your room. This way you know exactly how much is reserved on your account and you will not have to wait to get the excess funds refunded.

Working at the Hilton on Front Desk I often recommend this to my guests.

Last edited by julleflyer; Oct 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by julleflyer
At check in you can request that they only charge room and taxes to your card and block other charges to your room. This way you know exactly how much is reserved on your account and you will not have to wait to get the excess funds refunded.

Working at the Hilton on Front Desk I often recommend this to my guests.
I did this with a debit card on the second leg of my first married vacation after the credit holds during the first leg (rental car and hotel) tapped my available credit. Neither hold was released for nearly 2 weeks and the hotel (Hilton LAX) ended up charging the room bill OUTSIDE the hold they had placed, making things even worse.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can the OP simply put down Cash Deposit at check in and when check out, get back the balance of Cash after the settling the bill?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Does this depend on the bank or on the hotel?

I routinely use the PayPal Debit Card from my business PP account to pay for business related stays. Not once has the card been charged the whole amount upfront. All authorizations are automatically dropped after 7 days.

Back in the day (2008) I used my BoA Debit Card frequently to check into the Hilton LAX and the authorization was dropped after midnight. Seemed to be an BoA thing at the time, not sure how it is now as I'm not a customer anymore.

Also the Hilton LAX still accepts cash deposits of the full room charges, no card required. But this is an exception.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Does this depend on the bank or on the hotel?

I routinely use the PayPal Debit Card from my business PP account to pay for business related stays. Not once has the card been charged the whole amount upfront. All authorizations are automatically dropped after 7 days.

Back in the day (2008) I used my BoA Debit Card frequently to check into the Hilton LAX and the authorization was dropped after midnight. Seemed to be an BoA thing at the time, not sure how it is now as I'm not a customer anymore.

Also the Hilton LAX still accepts cash deposits of the full room charges, no card required. But this is an exception.
Any authorization on a debit by a hotel SHOULD drop upon checkout/day of departure (at least ones I have worked in do).

When you get the authorization released by your bank is up to the bank. Normally it's within 10 days - although it can be more. There isn't much hotels can do for you to get it released sooner (nor should they), unless they have made a mistake.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:21 pm

For those using foreign debit cards there is a possibility of losing out. If the deposit is taken out of your account (rather than a typical credit card hold), then the money might be refunded at the other end of the exchange rate spectrum meaning you will lose money.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jabbered
Any authorization on a debit by a hotel SHOULD drop upon checkout/day of departure (at least ones I have worked in do).

When you get the authorization released by your bank is up to the bank. Normally it's within 10 days - although it can be more. There isn't much hotels can do for you to get it released sooner (nor should they), unless they have made a mistake.
True but some cards (like the ones I mentioned here) drop the authorization by default after x days even if I'm still staying, renting or not.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Also note that if the hotel somehow messes up the final charge, you have somewhat less consumer protection with a debit card than with a credit card, and will not get your money back until its fully resolved.

I understand that some folks do not like using credit, but this is one of many reasons why it's good to keep at least one credit card for reservations and holds. You can always switch the final payment at checkout.

Same principles apply for things like car rentals, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.