Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
All those small considerations add up to move the scale in Hilton's favor...
Has somebody hacked your FT account escape4 ? Blasphemy...
Old May 8, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I don't expect them to give me a suite or gravel at my feet. It has provided enhancements to my stays. I enjoy it.

I stayed at the Reach in Key West recently. I took a big gamble by booking the cheapest room with a "resort view". I got upgraded to an "ocean view" with a solid view of the ocean. We also enjoyed a solid breakfast each morning, outside, also with a view of the ocean. These things would have cost quite a bit of extra money.

For work, I went to a Hilton near Chicago. I think it was Oakbrook. Sadly, the best executive lounge I've seen in a long time. Quite a few complementary alcohol options, hot appetizers, and a very nice setting. Never a bad thing on a work trip! It doesn't exist as much in the destination hotels, but some of these conference centers thrive on.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:25 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I am bipolar
Old May 8, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I am bipolar
Help us all understand the context of the comments.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
For any stay in the US that is more than 2 nights, Airbnb seems to be far better than Hilton, or nearly any other hotel for that matter. Possibly even outside the US too.
I recently did a 1-night stay at a Doubletree property that was about 10 years old, where I had stayed shortly after it first opened. The place was run down, loud a/c, and no recognition of status. Sure there was a, "free," breakfast of 2 eggs, meat, hash browns, and toast, but I could have gotten that at an IHOP, Denny's, or similar for maybe $8. It was a basic room, small, small fridge, bathroom seemed dated (I don't know how it aged so quickly), and just not a place I'd want to return to.
I moved to a nearby Airbnb. I'm guessing the house was about 20 years old, but recently remodeled. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, living room (with fireplace), family room, laundry, garage, probably about 1800 square feet (2 huge TV's). All for about the same price as I paid per night for that dingy Doubletree. Oh, and yes, there was an outside space with some furniture, and a grill. Community pool and tennis court, which I didn't use (I was in town for lake swim events and had more than enough swimming). Plus the full-sized fridge + freezer allowed me to actually use it, freeze bottles, etc. (the 'freezer' in the hotel fridge was basically useless).

For just a day or 2, yea a Hilton property is ok. But anything beyond that and I really don't even consider it anymore. I'm almost to the point where hotel status is not worth chasing.
With some travel during the pandemic last year, I found I preferred not having to use an elevator, deal with front desk (or other) staff, and generally avoid other people.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
For any stay in the US that is more than 2 nights, Airbnb seems to be far better than Hilton, or nearly any other hotel for that matter. Possibly even outside the US too.
I recently did a 1-night stay at a Doubletree property that was about 10 years old, where I had stayed shortly after it first opened. The place was run down, loud a/c, and no recognition of status. Sure there was a, "free," breakfast of 2 eggs, meat, hash browns, and toast, but I could have gotten that at an IHOP, Denny's, or similar for maybe $8. It was a basic room, small, small fridge, bathroom seemed dated (I don't know how it aged so quickly), and just not a place I'd want to return to.
I moved to a nearby Airbnb. I'm guessing the house was about 20 years old, but recently remodeled. 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, living room (with fireplace), family room, laundry, garage, probably about 1800 square feet (2 huge TV's). All for about the same price as I paid per night for that dingy Doubletree. Oh, and yes, there was an outside space with some furniture, and a grill. Community pool and tennis court, which I didn't use (I was in town for lake swim events and had more than enough swimming). Plus the full-sized fridge + freezer allowed me to actually use it, freeze bottles, etc. (the 'freezer' in the hotel fridge was basically useless).

For just a day or 2, yea a Hilton property is ok. But anything beyond that and I really don't even consider it anymore. I'm almost to the point where hotel status is not worth chasing.
With some travel during the pandemic last year, I found I preferred not having to use an elevator, deal with front desk (or other) staff, and generally avoid other people.
Again, I think it depends on where you will be traveling. At this point, I think it would be fair to say it’s common knowledge that elite recognition in the US isn’t very good. A few years ago, I did a 3 week trip in Hawaii with my family. We did Airbnb in Oahu and Kauai and it was fantastic. I wouldn’t do Airbnb in Asia though.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I stay primarily at properties where upgrades don’t exist — double tree, HGI. Home2suites and Hampton and Hiltons too but I can’t think of the last one I stayed in that had a lounge period.

I agree when I travel abroad Diamond means much more.

I don’t eat breakfast so for me Diamond is pretty useless.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I stay primarily at properties where upgrades don’t exist — double tree, HGI. Home2suites and Hampton and Hiltons too but I can’t think of the last one I stayed in that had a lounge period.

I agree when I travel abroad Diamond means much more.

I don’t eat breakfast so for me Diamond is pretty useless.
Mind as well cancel your Aspire if that’s the case. I got lounge access at the Doubletree in Beijing a couple of years ago as a Gold.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Among other things, in the Hilton BRG thread both craigthemif and I have documented in the past our fair share of frustrations with how Hilton handled the process relative to other hotel chains. So when I am stating now that I believe Hilton Diamond benefits provide good value relative to the ease of reaching Diamond (compared to Hyatt Globalist benefits which are more generous, but Globalist tier is harder to reach), can lead to suspicions of hacking on his part

For the record, since covid started I have found less need to use BRG because in many of the places I have travelled to, hotel rates were somewhat modest to begin with, consequently my head butting with the Hilton BRG team has been reduced (or entirely eliminated) in the last several months.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Among other things, in the Hilton BRG thread both craigthemif and I have documented in the past our fair share of frustrations with how Hilton handled the process relative to other hotel chains. So when I am stating now that I believe Hilton Diamond benefits provide good value relative to the ease of reaching Diamond (compared to Hyatt Globalist benefits which are more generous, but Globalist tier is harder to reach), can lead to suspicions of hacking on his part

For the record, since covid started I have found less need to use BRG because in many of the places I have travelled to, hotel rates were somewhat modest to begin with, consequently my head butting with the Hilton BRG team has been reduced (or entirely eliminated) in the last several months.
Where are you searching for the rate to do a BRG with Hilton?
Old May 8, 2021, 8:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Mind as well cancel your Aspire if that’s the case. I got lounge access at the Doubletree in Beijing a couple of years ago as a Gold.
what’s aspire? There is no Shanghai in my future.
Old May 8, 2021, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
what’s aspire? There is no Shanghai in my future.
I guess you don't have it then. It's the Hilton Honors Aspire from AMEX.
Old May 8, 2021, 9:28 pm

Where are you searching for the rate to do a BRG with Hilton?
It has varied over time as Hilton adapted to those third party sites. Sometimes the usual suspects like Trivago, Hotelcombined, etc.; sometimes obscure ones like rehlat. There are tidbits in the (long) BRG thread of where people have been successful and not.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond

Solid.
Old May 10, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
I stayed at the Hilton Rotterdam last weekend. Room rate was €119 + taxes. Executive lounge was obviously closed but as a Diamond member I was offered a room upgrade, a 'snack platter' (consisted of 5 tiny cheese cubes, 5 olives, 1 mini chocolate mousse, and 2 chicken bites, to be shared between 2 ) and we could also take 2 free minibar items per person from the minibar. Breakfast was very good and served in the room. Not too bad you would think but I found out during our stay (overheard a couple in in front of us during checking in) that the hotel is running a local promotion for 109€: breakfast included, free late 4pm checkout, room upgrade and free welcome drinks. You can book the same promotion for 149€ including a 3 course dinner for 2 served in the room... I really understand that hotels are going through tough times but it makes you think why I bothered booking directly with Hilton as a Diamond member, or am I expecting too much?
lsquare and FlyerTalker324193 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.