Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2020] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 11:05 pm

HH

Good to know, not a Corona fan, beer or otherwise.

Being from Texas, with decent taste in suds, wouldn’t touch the stuff.

Happy to hear there may be choices.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:07 am

Had breakfast today (Dec. 9th) at Vilu restaurant. We left the resort today, but they started back up buffet breakfast style. You can get hot and cold items, but also order from the regular menu, items like French toast, pancakes, etc.

Kind of strange, but the buffet had NO safety measures whatsoever. Everyone grabs the same tongs to pickup breads, etc. When we were in Dubai, our InterContinental hotel had everything behind glass, and if you wanted something you would point at it and the workers got it for you.

The hotel staff said they are ramping up to almost full resort capacity for the holiday season. So this explains why they want to get buffet style eating back. There were only 4 of us and we had all sorts of problems in the beginning, but eventually got things worked out. I give them props for doing a good job.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Transfers to another resort

I'm looking at staying for the 3rd time at the property, next year Christmas and will try to book a points stay one year out. However, I would like to combine it with another hotel as a week at the Conrad and a week elsewhere works better for us.

We did this last year and had to transfer back through Male with the seaplane, then get another seaplane thus spending more time and more money than i'd have liked.

I haven't chosen the 'other' hotel yet, but if we were to chose somewhere like sun Island, or LUX South Ari, for example both are just a few miles from Maamigili Airport which is where I assume (please correct me if i'm wrong) Conrad use when you chose the domestic seaplane and speedboat option.

Therefore, an idea would be to take a Seaplane one way and speedboat with domestic flight the other, but with 1 week between the speedboat and domestic flight so we can visit another hotel.

Does this look doable and realistic as a plan and are the Conrad likely to agree to such a plan without increasing the transfer cost? We will be 2 adults and 2 kids.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated!
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by englisha
Transfers to another resort

I'm looking at staying for the 3rd time at the property, next year Christmas and will try to book a points stay one year out. However, I would like to combine it with another hotel as a week at the Conrad and a week elsewhere works better for us.

We did this last year and had to transfer back through Male with the seaplane, then get another seaplane thus spending more time and more money than i'd have liked.

I haven't chosen the 'other' hotel yet, but if we were to chose somewhere like sun Island, or LUX South Ari, for example both are just a few miles from Maamigili Airport which is where I assume (please correct me if i'm wrong) Conrad use when you chose the domestic seaplane and speedboat option.

Therefore, an idea would be to take a Seaplane one way and speedboat with domestic flight the other, but with 1 week between the speedboat and domestic flight so we can visit another hotel.

Does this look doable and realistic as a plan and are the Conrad likely to agree to such a plan without increasing the transfer cost? We will be 2 adults and 2 kids.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated!
This is not going to be possible. Your check-out date is the date you will be taken to Maamigili. If you don't want to arrange the domestic flight back to Male they will charge you a fee for transportation from the resort to Maamigili which will definitely not be cheaper than half of the standard return transfer, at least for a couple. In fact it's quite likely to be more than half. The last quote I got (a few years back) for return transfer to Maamigili was $985.60++ so half of that for your one-way journey from Rangali to the island would be $492.80++, or $607 after taxes, however that's per boat, not per person so you might actually save a bit if you're lucky. Ask Rangali for a quote. Your best bet is to get a private speedboat to pick you up from Rangali and take you there or directly to the other resort you have chosen. No promises but you can try;
GET MY BOAT: https://www.getmyboat.com/boat-renta...ale--Maldives/
ATOLL TRANSFER: https://www.atolltransfer.com/

BTW, I've had friends go to Sun Island. As the name suggests it's more akin to a holiday camp than a resort. Nothing compared to the Conrad so be aware of that if you are considering it.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:49 am

I've been unsuccessful finding the answer to this--what does it mean when prices have:
  • Two dollar signs before them?
  • Two plus signs after them?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:45 am

Two dollar signs before them: People being blinded or mezmerised by money?
Two plus signs after them: They mean taxes. One '+' is the service charge (10%) and the other is any government levy (usually a GST or some other Tourism tax). See the wiki for info on taxes in the Maldives and how to calculate them.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there some kind of opt-out for those ++ and if so, is it even more than 5% of people paying? Are they just ashamed to write the real price because they're ridiculous? I imagine they want tip on top?

It's not comparable to the US where the extra is rarely double digits.

I often feel that these foreign companies are milking the Maldives for every penny until the Islands are consumed by the climate emergency.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
Is there some kind of opt-out for those ++ and if so, is it even more than 5% of people paying?
No, one of them is a mandatory tourism tax, and the other one is a mandatory service charge. One is 10%, and the other is 12%. I forget which, and one is charged on the other, so it comes to a total of 23.2%.

So any time you see "$100++", it's "$123.20".

Yes, it's deceptive.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
Had breakfast today (Dec. 9th) at Vilu restaurant.

Kind of strange, but the buffet had NO safety measures whatsoever. Everyone grabs the same tongs to pickup breads, etc.
Interesting. They're obviously not breaking any of the hotel's new sanitation / health and safety rules and / or the rules have changed. I've added this info to the wiki. No doubt folks who are going there this festive season will report on the buffet situation if it changes.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:34 pm

It’s pretty much the norm in all of Asia that I have been to, with the exception of Japan.
it’s a hospitality thing and there is no expectation of tip on top.
yes it’s annoying and some hotels are great and actually just print the final price.
no idea where this habit comes from but it’s probably from the US where sales tax springs up on you all the time, and tipping adds to the price too.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:07 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Cynicor
It’s pretty much the norm in all of Asia that I have been to, with the exception of Japan.
it’s a hospitality thing and there is no expectation of tip on top.
yes it’s annoying and some hotels are great and actually just print the final price.
no idea where this habit comes from but it’s probably from the US where sales tax springs up on you all the time, and tipping adds to the price too.
For sure this came from the US, and at 10% + 12%, its not out of line with what is charged in the US when you are done adding tips and taxes
Europe and Australia require the actual price to be quoted
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:12 pm

Not sure if Australia is the strictest in the world, but it must be close.
Prices must be displayed as the final price, and that has to be the biggest font too- not just a tiny final price and a large “entry price+tax”.
it’s great!
Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Flights

No doubt most other people on here are also linked into other forums and travel services - but in case not and anyone isn’t going to Conrad because they’ve struggled to get flights over the festive season (at non insane prices)....

I got an alert from a flight service telling me BA has added a second direct flight on various days. I had a look and indeed they have, and there’s still good availability in business and first and at sensible prices.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Splotly
No doubt most other people on here are also linked into other forums and travel services - but in case not and anyone isn’t going to Conrad because they’ve struggled to get flights over the festive season (at non insane prices)....

I got an alert from a flight service telling me BA has added a second direct flight on various days. I had a look and indeed they have, and there’s still good availability in business and first and at sensible prices.
Hi which days please?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Hi which days please?
It’s not every day. Looks like: Sat & Sun outbound and Sun & Mon on way back. I looked at 26/27 Dec and 3/4 Jan and they had 2 flights - looks like those days most weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.