Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Posted points from stay taken away after asking for inquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2024, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

I'm in a crazy HH points shenanigans and need some advice as I'm hitting dead ends.
In May, I had a stay for 3 nights for 3 rooms at the Conrad Tokyo. The reservation for all 3 rooms was booked as 1 reservation through Amex FHR and prepaid. The reservation showed up on my Hilton account and some points posted after check out. Recently, I realized that the number of points I earned only reflected the cost of 1 room. I emailed [email protected] asking why I didn't get points for all 3 rooms. The Amex system forced me to put different guest names for each room, but everything was under one reservation and my HH account number. I even produced correspondence with the hotel that acknowledged I had booked 3 rooms under my reservation. They started some GA Case File, but it has gone no where For reference, this is the points summary that showed in early July.

However, this is not the worst part. After they opened the GA case, they took away all the previous points for the stay, calling it a "pending stay" for a stay completed more than two months ago!
I redeemed for an upcoming stay in June, before they took away my already posted points, I have now have a negative account balance. Every customer service agent says "you have a negative balance because you redeemed for a upcoming stay..." DUH, I know that and can do the math. They refuse to acknowledge that the system took away posted points on previous stay, even though I have proof/screenshots of the points that were in my account previously. I have called, I have emailed both [email protected] and [email protected] and gotten no responses.
Any advice here?
Old Jul 26, 2024, 9:09 am

Cannot offer any assistance, but really annoying, good luck!
EmpressRouge likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2024, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Receiving points for an Amex FHR prepaid booking is always problematic and people are often unsuccessful; that is why it is suggested that people use the pay at hotel option when booking.

Pay at hotel Amex FHR bookings usually credit without issue.

Amex THC bookings with Hilton don’t seem to be eligible.

There are several threads in this forum and the Amex forum regarding this.
:D! and EmpressRouge like this.
Old Jul 26, 2024, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Update: I got an email response 6-12 hours after starting this thread (good timing? someone from Hilton monitoring these forums?). Email gave me a big list of rates that don't qualify for points earning (I think the FHR prepayment probably showed up as Expedia), but credited me with ~43,000 points as a "one-time courtesy." It's definitely way less than what I should have earned for 3 rooms, but I'm just glad to get the originally posted points back and then some.
I definitely regret prepaying for this stay, not so because of the points, but because between the time I booked/paid and my stay, the JPY depreciated 10-15%, negating the 5x Amex MR from prepaying. Alas, by the time currency was trending in my favor, the hotel was nearly full for my dates and the rates had gone up by 20-30% had I cancelled and rebooked.
Currently, I have a prepaid reservation made through Amex Hotel Collection that is showing up on my HH account. Based on the THC threads in the Amex forum, it seems like folks have gotten points for their THC stays, including prepaid. This time, it's just for one room, so I'm hoping I won't go through this again. I know THC bookings technically aren't supposed to earn loyalty programs, but I was recently able to retroactively earn IHG points from a prepaid THC stay at a Kimpton once I sent them the folio :shrug:
Old Jul 27, 2024, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Amex THC bookings with Hilton don’t seem to be eligible.
I disagree with this.

Each booking I've made with Amex for a 'The Hotel Collection ' property - and paid for at the property - has credited to my Hilton account as expected.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am not familiar with Amex FHR prepaid bookings, but one important thing to remember when booking multiple rooms under one reservation is to get them under one folio either during check-in or during check-out. Perhaps the three rooms went to three separate folios at checkout, which may be why you initially get points only for 1 room. When booking directly with Hilton, multiple rooms will generate an equal number of folios, and it is necessary to ask the front desk to put everything (transfer charges and credits) and pay on a single folio.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not familiar with Amex FHR prepaid bookings, but one important thing to remember when booking multiple rooms under one reservation is to get them under one folio either during check-in or during check-out. Perhaps the three rooms went to three separate folios at checkout, which may be why you initially get points only for 1 room.
The reservation was all under 1 reservation (all the same room type) and I had only 1 folio. The Amex booking site has a number of limitations: you can't have different types of room on one reservation, but at the same time, you have to assign/enter a different "main guest" name for each room. I think because I prepaid, the hotel, out of courtesy, combined all our 3x $150 FHR credit into one combined credit to one room. And since we had no additional charges, the folio looked like it was just one room. I suspect it would have been easier to get the points for 3 rooms if either 1) I hadn't prepaid or 2) if I actually had made 3 separate reservations on Amex, and thus had my name and HH number assigned to each room.

The lack of multiple room points was only something I realized 2 months later, and I would have accepted if it couldn't get sorted out. But what pissed me off (and why I started this thread) was the fact once they opened the inquiry, Hilton took away the already posted points for the stay. It was very easy to tell where the points disappeared from, and I had screenshots to prove this, not to mention the fact the site was saying "pending stay" on a completed stay from 2 months prior. But everyone email/call response was trying to gaslight me ("the system can't take away already posted points"; "the system loaned/advanced you points to make that another redemption last week") or insulting my basic math skills ("your account has a negative balance because you redeemed more points that you had in your account").
Lesson learned: pay attention to points earning earlier. And for more complicated stays, e.g. involving multiple rooms, it's probably best to not prepay as the Amex booking system limitations can issues for the folios and point earnings.
Old Jul 29, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Gold Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I do not have any experience with booking with AMEX FHR, but I routinely book 2 rooms under one reservation through Hilton. My understanding is that you will only be eligible for points for two of the rooms not all 3. I am glad you got the points as a one time courtesy!
Old Jul 29, 2024, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dracarys
I do not have any experience with booking with AMEX FHR, but I routinely book 2 rooms under one reservation through Hilton. My understanding is that you will only be eligible for points for two of the rooms not all 3. I am glad you got the points as a one time courtesy!
This changed some time ago. Under the Hilton Honors terms and conditions, one can receive points for up to four rooms when paid under the same folio. From the terms and conditions:
A Member may earn Base Points for up to four rooms per stay ("Earning Rooms") if all eligible charges for Earning Rooms are paid on one folio.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Gold Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
This changed some time ago. Under the Hilton Honors terms and conditions, one can receive points for up to four rooms when paid under the same folio. From the terms and conditions:
Thank you for the update. I haven't had the need to book more than 2 rooms in some time. Might do more now that I know I will get the points...LOL!
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.