Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Transfer of American AAdvantage Miles to Hilton Honors Points: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer of American AAdvantage Miles to Hilton Honors Points: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by landspeed
Using AAdvantage Miles
Convert your AAdvantage miles into HHonors points in increments of 5,000 miles. A minimum conversion amount of 5,000 miles is required for each transaction.

AAdvantage Miles For HHonors Points
5,000 --------------------> 10,000

To exchange AAdvantage miles for HHonors points, please mail, phone or FAX your request to:
AAdvantage Marketing Programs
PO Box 619688
Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, TX 75261-9688
FAX: 817-963-7882
PHONE: 800-421-0600
Be sure to include your AAdvantage and HHonors account numbers, advise how many miles you wish to exchange for HHonors points, and sign your request. You will be issued a certificate that must be sent to Hilton HHonors to complete the conversion process.
Note: If you wish to guarantee delivery within 6 days, please include payment of $75 for one award, plus $20 for each additional award claimed from the same account. If you do not require express delivery, there is no fee.
I'm still curious if these miles count towards Gold/Diamond status...
Old Apr 23, 2004, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by mreplus
Do converted miles count towards VIP status?
No, but they do count towards lifetime status. 1M for Gold 2M for Platinum.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Uh, I think we are talking about converting AAdvantage miles to HHonors points, so no "1M or 2M" status is possible, unless doing the reverse conversion, when just about ANY kind of miles will do.

And, no, the only criteria that count for HH Gold or Diamond status are, in one year:

Gold: earning 60,000 base points (not bonus points), OR 16 qualifying stays OR qualifiying 36 days (nights) in Hilton family properties.

Diamond: earning 100,000 base points (not bonus points), OR 28 qualifying stays OR 60 qualifying nights.

(Award stays count as stays, not as days, and you may be able to earn base points on an award stay depending on the hotel rules, and what you charge to your room, as I understand it.)
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Value of AA->HH deal?

I wonder if there is a general opinion on 1 AA mile -> 2 HH points transfer.
Of course everyone's case is different.
I am HH diamond through early 2006 (but not very likely to requalify without promos especially with Park Place properties gone) and extra AA miles can get me a few nice Hilton rewards. On the other hand I don't fly AA too often so no status there.
I appreciate any comments.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
I no longer fly AA as I shifted almost all my business to UA about 2 years ago. I still use my Citibank AA CC and credit my double dip miles to AA. That way I am still accumulate miles towards million miler status and will be able to trasfer those miles to HHonors points when I need them. That is just me!
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by azepine00
I am HH diamond through early 2006 (but not very likely to requalify without promos especially with Park Place properties gone) and extra AA miles can get me a few nice Hilton rewards. On the other hand I don't fly AA too often so no status there.
It depends on how you value the miles/points in each program. I value AA miles at about $.0135 each and HHonors points at $.0055. So a 1-->2 transfer looks like $.0135-->$.0110 or a loss of about 20%. That's not too bad, but I wouldn't be making any transfers unless I really need the HHonors points.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
There are examples where a transfer of AA miles to HH points is a good deal, such as for a free night at Scandic hotels. A free night at any Scandic hotel for only 5,000 AA miles is a very good deal, IMHO. This also applies to other level 1 hotels such as Narita Hilton.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I agree with MileKing. Mind you, it all depends on how you spend the points / miles in question. But I use AA miles for international upgrades, a fairly leveraged expenditure, rather than low-fare domestic coach trips.

So, 25,000 miles = a lower 48 domestic round trip or one way international upgrade

50,000 HH points - depends, Could be 5 stays at places like Scandics or Hilton NRT, or part of a GLON package, etc.

If you will never use your AA miles again, or you are yearning for a specific award you are a bit short on, it might be a good thing. In any case, there's a "currency exchange transaction" cost to it.

Originally Posted by azepine00
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA Miles -> HHonors. Still good?

My Diamond benefits book for 2004 list the possibility of transferring AA miles into HHonors points at the rate of 5000 miles -> 10,000 HH points.

With all the changes, I've lost track: is this still OK? Are there (announced) plans to drop it? I'm planning my miles/points usage/moves for the coming year and I hate using outdated info.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Still on the Hilton Web site:

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...change_1.jhtml
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:53 pm

The offer should still be good,I faxed my request last week and got the cert for the 10,000 HH points this week.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:05 pm

What about the opposite transaction? If I wanted to top off my AAccount and used HHonors points for it (I know, it's not a good value, but it would be just to top it off), how long does it actually take for the points to become AA miles? (I can't access hhonors.com right now, and besides, how long they say it will take is always longer than the real amount required.)
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:59 pm

Does the accound name of AA and Hilton Honor has to be the same?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by honu
What about the opposite transaction? If I wanted to top off my AAccount and used HHonors points for it (I know, it's not a good value, but it would be just to top it off), how long does it actually take for the points to become AA miles? (I can't access hhonors.com right now, and besides, how long they say it will take is always longer than the real amount required.)
I just did this to top off my AA account for some upcoming travel. No problem and it took less than a week.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by bbbb
The offer should still be good,I faxed my request last week and got the cert for the 10,000 HH points this week.
No charge for the faxed request to AA then.... website mentions $25 charge for online exchange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.