Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2024, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
My understanding is that if they're under 18, yes, you get breakfast for them.

from here:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ts.html#charts

But four people in a double-queen room is going to be a little tight . . .
Thanks for the link! Yes both kids under 18 so keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping they have some upgrades for more room, but if not I think we'll manage. Have stayed in much smaller rooms (and beds) in Asia. Haha.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by crapz1
Thanks for the link! Yes both kids under 18 so keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping they have some upgrades for more room, but if not I think we'll manage. Have stayed in much smaller rooms (and beds) in Asia. Haha.
My understanding is that if they're under 18, yes, you get breakfast for them.

from here:

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ts.html#charts

But four people in a double-queen room is going to be a little tight . . .
Terms are 2 adults and 2 children. You forgot to quote the part where the property can determine the age of the children.

If you can book for 2 adults and 2 children with properly listed ages up 17 in Hyatt, I would say it should be included. But don’t be disappointed if putting incorrect ages (or incorrect occupants) and the hotel doesn’t honor it (I guess this applies to all properties).
Old Jun 21, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crapz1
I think the only upgrade from there would be to a suite - there aren't larger non-suite rooms that I know of.

Any suite should have a king and a pull-out couch.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Andaz Maui excludes espresso based drinks from the Globalist breakfast. Instead they charge $9 for a machine cappuccino (!)

Is this an allowed exclusion from the benefit? If so it surprises me that it’s the first Hyatt where I’ve seen this.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SEA737
The Andaz Maui excludes espresso based drinks from the Globalist breakfast. Instead they charge $9 for a machine cappuccino (!)

Is this an allowed exclusion from the benefit? If so it surprises me that it’s the first Hyatt where I’ve seen this.
There’s nothing that prevents them from excluding it, as long as they still provide a choice of coffee or tea. They don’t have to offer everything on menu. Just that a choice of coffee or tea should be provided.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you actually get charged for these? I had a few last visit and signed and expected to pay, but they still came off my bill. Not sure if that was typical treatment.

My preferred coffee destination was really Honolulu Coffee at the Wailea Shops, but that's gone now. So the best coffee in the area is Akamai. I stick with drip or tea at the Andaz often just because their automatic espresso machines are, frankly, not great.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 3:33 pm

Did you actually get charged for these? I had a few last visit and signed and expected to pay, but they still came off my bill. Not sure if that was typical treatment.

My preferred coffee destination was really Honolulu Coffee at the Wailea Shops, but that's gone now. So the best coffee in the area is Akamai. I stick with drip or tea at the Andaz often just because their automatic espresso machines are, frankly, not great.
Yes. They actually made a point of bringing a separate check for them. I guess they could still take it off later on, but I asked the front desk and they said they’re not included in the benefit.

But I agree, their espresso machine is not good at all. Feels cheap to go out of your way to exclude espresso from the breakfast benefit, but if you’re going to do that and charge $9 for a cappuccino, at least do barista coffee..
Old Jul 6, 2024, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. They actually made a point of bringing a separate check for them. I guess they could still take it off later on, but I asked the front desk and they said they’re not included in the benefit.

But I agree, their espresso machine is not good at all. Feels cheap to go out of your way to exclude espresso from the breakfast benefit, but if you’re going to do that and charge $9 for a cappuccino, at least do barista coffee..
Right - I got the bill at breakfast, but when I checked out, it was gone.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 3:39 pm

Right - I got the bill at breakfast, but when I checked out, it was gone.
I’ll report back then. The coffee was bad enough though I’ll probably be going to Akamai for coffee instead for the rest of the stay — thanks for the tip!
Old Jul 13, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt
has anyone negotiate a price for a suite upgrade? i have a reservation with points and there are no standard suites, i'm wondering if the price difference between a basic room and a suite is what i should be expecting?

thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2024, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by computerguy
has anyone negotiate a price for a suite upgrade? i have a reservation with points and there are no standard suites, i'm wondering if the price difference between a basic room and a suite is what i should be expecting?

thanks!
i too am in this question so i’m bumping this thread 😎

also, is there a contact to arrange for this proactively?
Old Aug 15, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt glob, KLM/AirFrance plat
I’ll report back then. The coffee was bad enough though I’ll probably be going to Akamai for coffee instead for the rest of the stay — thanks for the tip!
do you have a Nespresso machine in your room? My room had one, and the coffee there was actually not that bad, even though they're using local bootleg capsules instead of the official ones from Nespresso. (Maybe it has to do with sustainability goals or something along these lines.)

This is of course assuming all you want is espresso. If you're up for a cappuccino or something fancier, then yes, Shops at Wailea was my destination of choice this February. They had two coffee shops there, don't recall the names. Both were tolerable, but unfortunately nothing to write home about.

Charging $9 for a sub-par coffee sounds like a rip-off. But that's basically how things at Maui work in general. Be prepared to spend at least 2x on everything you're used to.

Last edited by pronichkin; Aug 15, 2024 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 29, 2024, 2:30 pm

Recently completed a three-night stay here and overall enjoyed our experience. Went into the stay with somewhat tempered expectations, and happy to say that those expectations were largely met, if not exceeded in some respects.

Some notes/reflections:

Booked standard king room on points. Responded to Globalist welcome email with various information, including noting that we would be traveling with our infant child and would appreciate a suite upgrade if available. The response I received a few days later stated that suites were no longer included in the complimentary upgrade pool (I believe I saw something about this up thread), but stated that we would be upgraded to a full ocean view room (which I had already seen in the app).

We had a morning arrival into OGG and so we arrived at the property a little before 11am. The check-in agent noted the information I had provided in my email (e.g., the occasion we were celebrating, the fact that our friends were also staying at the property, etc.), and unsurprisingly let us know that our room was not quite ready yet. We spent some time relaxing in the lobby and eating the lunch we had picked up from Tin Roof, and then asked the check-in agent if there was somewhere we could change to go down to the pool. Only then did she offer the Ohana Lounge (as well as the lobby bathrooms). The whole process was also made complicated by the fact that our bags were with the bellmen, so I had to go retrieve the bags, take out what we needed, and then return the bags, only to have them delivered to our room later. (The bags were too big to fit the lockers in the Ohana Lounge.) In retrospect, I should have planned ahead better for the likely event that our room would not be ready upon our arrival.

I received notification that our room was ready around 12:15pm, but by then we were already down by the pool so we hung out there for a few more hours. There seemed to be ample chairs in the bottom pool area (i.e., the lagoon pool/kids' pool), but shade was somewhat hard to come by. I asked one of the attendants if there were any open chairs with umbrellas, and he offered us one of the paid cabanas for free because we had our infant with us and it was not too busy. He made the same offer every time we saw him, which we took him up on on one other occasion. I did tip generously both times we used the cabana.

The room itself ended up being big enough for the three of us even with the addition of the crib (which was waiting for us in the room was we had requested, along with little bottles of baby soap and lotion). Also waiting for us was a chilled bottle of Pommery Brut and some fruit jellies. Our friends received a bottle of red from Justin. I presume the difference was because of the occasion we were celebrating.

The long and narrow shower in the middle of the room is odd and feels like a lot of wasted space.

Despite needing to use the room periodically throughout the day for infant napping, housekeeping managed to tidy the room each day, which we appreciated.

We ate at Ka'ana Kitchen our first night and thought it was fine, although the appetizers were much better than the entrees. We also ate lunch at Morimoto a couple of days and enjoyed it, although prices are what you would expect. But our favorite meal was at Lineage (off property), which we were able to walk into with our party of five by arriving right when they opened at 5pm.

Ulua Beach was convenient for decent snorkeling. We also enjoyed walking on the well-maintained trail between the other Wailea beachfront properties.

I did manage to get a 4pm late checkout on our last day. The check-in agent actually proactively raised it, and advised us to ask the day before our departure. I did so, and was initially told no late checkout was available at all, as someone was already assigned to check in to our room. I asked if it would be possible even to check out at 12 or 1pm, as that would align better with our infant's nap schedule. She called her manager, and I heard her asking about providing a day-use room, but the manager actually just told her to move the incoming guest to a different room. This worked out a million times better for us because we would have to move the crib and various other sleep-assisting items to the day-use room, and so we were very grateful that this all worked out.

All in all, we would gladly return (on points) in the future.
Old Aug 29, 2024, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by KE81
The response I received a few days later stated that suites were no longer included in the complimentary upgrade pool (I believe I saw something about this up thread), but stated that we would be upgraded to a full ocean view room (which I had already seen in the app).
Are you sure this means there’s just no standard suites in existence in this property at all? Until recently there was a garden view suite which usually want available, but it existed.
Old Aug 29, 2024, 4:14 pm

Are you sure this means there’s just no standard suites in existence in this property at all? Until recently there was a garden view suite which usually want available, but it existed.
I believe they still have standard suites in their inventory, as I saw an Andaz Suite available for two out of three nights of our stay.

This is what their email stated, which I understood to mean that they would not be willing to provide a complimentary upgrade to any suite, even an Andaz Suite if it were available:
Please note that our suites are outside our availability for complimentary upgrades but our Resort Hosts will gladly assist you at time of check in with further upgrade options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.