Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Palm Springs (opening 05 Sep 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Palm Springs (opening 05 Sep 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:59 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
2018 sounds more realistic.
this is a picture from mid October....
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
http://www.desertsun.com/story/money...ings/93628330/

Construction equipment seems to have all but disappeared from the Andaz hotel site at Palm Canyon Drive and Alejo Road where Rael Development is constructing a 150-room luxury hotel that will carry the Andaz Hyatt brand.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Disappeared in that construction work is stopped for some reason or disappeared because the construction is finished?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:32 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Disappeared in that construction work is stopped for some reason or disappeared because the construction is finished?
Look at the linked article ... definitely not finished.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I was just in PS at the end of November and also was surprised to see the construction not progressing very well based on the opening that was being mentioned. We go to PS every year in Oct/Nov and over the last 15 years the city seems to have numerous of these stop/start projects. The mall was a mess for years and the area is now finally being developed into a Kimpton property that actually looks like it could be completed in 2017.

I had an interesting chat with a local that told me that evidently there is a new mayor and administration in town and they are not as "pro development" as the old administration was. I just don't get it because it's hurting the city. Build the darn hotels and revitalize the city already!

As for the Andaz..personally I would think 2018 at best!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by christianj
I was just in PS at the end of November and also was surprised to see the construction not progressing very well based on the opening that was being mentioned. We go to PS every year in Oct/Nov and over the last 15 years the city seems to have numerous of these stop/start projects. The mall was a mess for years and the area is now finally being developed into a Kimpton property that actually looks like it could be completed in 2017.

I had an interesting chat with a local that told me that evidently there is a new mayor and administration in town and they are not as "pro development" as the old administration was. I just don't get it because it's hurting the city. Build the darn hotels and revitalize the city already!

If this thing is already under construction already, a new mayor or admin can not do anything, as permits are already in place. This is definitely the case of either the developer, or contractor, either running out of money, or being in a dispute (probably about money).
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
If this thing is already under construction already, a new mayor or admin can not do anything, as permits are already in place. This is definitely the case of either the developer, or contractor, either running out of money, or being in a dispute (probably about money).
However, the new mayor could signal higher business taxes, more regulations, possibly a local minimum wage and mandatory sick/vacation pay for all employees, etc. Thus stuff could cause the new hotel to be unprofitable and hence not worth completing.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
From what I am reading the construction is minimal at this time. I read that they are conducting "value engineering". That sounds like an excuse for we are having $$ trouble or something like that
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mjh218
From what I am reading the construction is minimal at this time. I read that they are conducting "value engineering". That
I believe that translates to "project no longer pencils out and lender has cut off funding."
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
No movement in over 8 months. I'd be surprised if this happens. I'm surprised it's still on the hyatt website and says 2018. No way this is 2018. Oh but the new Kimpton is supposed to open around this Thanksgiving.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Renard
No movement in over 8 months. I'd be surprised if this happens. I'm surprised it's still on the hyatt website and says 2018. No way this is 2018. Oh but the new Kimpton is supposed to open around this Thanksgiving.
Wow!!! Really sad for PS as this site has been an eyesore for years and now they have this started project just sitting there. In the end it might be PS fault and not just the developer....who knows what is going on there.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:05 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Wow!!! Really sad for PS as this site has been an eyesore for years and now they have this started project just sitting there. In the end it might be PS fault and not just the developer....who knows what is going on there.
I doubt it is the developer's fault. read this post:

​​​​​​​
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I doubt it is the developer's fault.
​​​​​​​
The developer has been claiming for nearly a year that they have been actively working behind the scenes to cut costs on the project. Seems that may have been the case many months ago but given they have not been doing anything and haven't come up with any magical savings, it is unlikely to move forward any time soon.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
At this point Hyatt should just remove the property from their website…
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I doubt it is the developer's fault.
​​​​​​​
They could not have commenced construction unless they already had all city approvals.

This has all the hallmarks of a problem with the construction funding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.