Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2022, 9:56 pm

Posted in Wrong thread

Last edited by OfficeGlenn; Nov 20, 2022 at 10:34 pm Reason: Posted in wrong thread
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
3 nights stay completed

We just checked out today after a 3-night stay here, booked Park Suite (Standard suite) and received said suite likely due to in the peak of busy maple leaf fall color season. Checking the app seems like the hotel was down to just couple rooms for 2 out of 3 nights we were there, so it was quite busy.

Park Suite:

We were in room 209.
To clear out the confusion here earlier there are only 2 Park Suites in the entire hotel (209 and 307), this is confirmed by the staff. They both have the garden terrace view. Anyone who said they got a front street facing suite is a Ninenzaka House (Premium Suite).

Room 209: Larger Park Suite, wider both living and bath area compare to 307. Additional full powder(toilet) room, which is pretty useful for us in a few occasions. Darker and smaller garden terrace due to on the lower floor. No outdoor garden seating which was a bit bummer. However, you get absolute privacy with no one can view through the room. We always have the windows blinds/sheers opened at night.

Room 307: Smaller Park Suite, with only one toilet. Brighter and bigger garden terrace (slightly better maintained), have outdoor seating. I feel it’s a bit less privacy due to the terrace is viewable though 4th floor restaurant/bar roof and maybe guests dining at the Kyoyamato restaurant.

Our suite was nice, very minor wear and tear. This was probably the top 3 rooms we ever stayed at. If I were to splurge for the Ninenzaka House, in my opinion only room 308 or maybe 306 is worth it for the less obstructed pagoda view. However, neither of them are worth the current charge rates of 400-500k yen per night or even the Cat 8 points redemption. Most of the time we passed through the hotel all the front facing suites had their window sheer closed likely due to privacy concern.

I won’t go into details of the property since it’s covered extensively by members above, adding some comments for our stay:

- Our suite was ready when we arrived at 1pm, surprised as I heard it’s very hard to check in before 4pm during the peak season. Kudos to that.
- Read about the breakfast service issues at Kyoto Bistro some posts above, seems like the hotel staffed up for the busy season. Both days we dined at Kyoto Bistro there were at least 4-5 servers always around the main dining area, we went at 8am and it was around 7-80% full. Service was prompt and attentive, we didn’t had issues on ordering or waiting for drinks/food. Thanks for the tip from previous posts we were able to reverse window seats in advance.
- The western breakfast quality was very good but that’s it, nothing outstanding or memorable. We tried 4 out of 6 dishes from the menu and nothing stands out. Very limited buffet selections and nothing special to note. You get a free juice and coffee/latte included. I feel that our breakfast at Conrad Tokyo/Osaka last week were both better than PH Kyoto.
- We tried the in-room Japanese breakfast the last day, total for 2 person after tax and service fee is 7590 yen. It was good but we probably won’t order it again if we stay here again. I don’t think the additional charge over western breakfast is justifiable. Juices are extra charge for Japanese breakfast option but you do get cafe/latte for free.
- The hotel seems to not applying further upgrades from a standard suite reservation, but it was quite busy during our stay so I didn’t ask more. Those who got it were lucky.
- No service hiccups experienced, staff were all very attentive and polite. Lots of younger staff. However, to compare broadly I feel that our stay at both WA Maldives and WA Amsterdam were a tad more polished. Service at PH Paris was the worst.
- If you visit Kiyomizu temple, keep the ticket and you can use it other days if you want to visit again.

Pictures for Park Suite 209

Japanese breakfast:

Fall color season:

Last edited by zoneflyer; Dec 12, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Park Suite:

We were in room 209.
To clear out the confusion here earlier there are only 2 Park Suites in the entire hotel (209 and 307), this is confirmed by the staff. They both have a garden terrace view. Anyone who said they got a front street facing suite is a Ninenzaka House (Premium Suite).
I stayed in room 208 a few weeks ago, which I was told was the Park Suite over email and in the app. Two toilets, powder room, front street facing, with privacy from the outdoor garden (with no outdoor seating). The mystery continues?
OsakaWino and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wilywombat
I stayed in room 208 a few weeks ago, which I was told was the Park Suite over email and in the app. Two toilets, powder room, front street facing, with privacy from the outdoor garden (with no outdoor seating). The mystery continues?
Hope this hotel is not practicing different treatments/responses to different customers, as someone upthread was firmly denied in-room Japanese breakfast but another person mentioned getting it while both checking in the same day. I still have the email from the concierge couple month ago stating Park Suite is strictly garden terrace view only, in line with the information given during check in by the front desk staff.

Were you upgraded from standard king room or already reserved into a Park Suite?
Warriorconcept likes this.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Nov 24, 2022 at 5:01 am
Old Nov 24, 2022, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How can juice be an extra charge when it should be given in the Globalist T&Cs. I understand paying extra for Japanese breakfast since it is done by Kyoyamato. Seems rather petty to be charging when the breakfast is already an extra charge.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
How can juice be an extra charge when it should be given in the Globalist T&Cs. I understand paying extra for Japanese breakfast since it is done by Kyoyamato. Seems rather petty to be charging when the breakfast is already an extra charge.
I asked, the delivery staff lady was pointing at the included Japanese green tea so I guess its their substitution for the juice, beats me why the juice but not for the free coffee/latte/tea option. Agreed on rather petty taste for extra charge.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Nov 24, 2022 at 5:16 am
Old Nov 24, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked, the delivery staff lady was pointing at the included Japanese green tea so I guess it their substitution for the juice, beats me why the juice but not for the free coffee/latte/tea option.
You would think the coffee and lattes would be made by room service and the breakfast is then loaded from Kyoyamato? Makes no sense to be able to get double teas, coffee and tea but no juice.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:40 am

Hope this hotel is not practicing different treatments/responses to different customers, as someone upthread was firmly denied in-room Japanese breakfast but another person mentioned getting it while both checking in the same day. I still have the email from the concierge couple month ago stating Park Suite is strictly garden terrace view only, in line with the information given during check in by the front desk staff.

Were you upgraded from standard king room or already reserved into a Park Suite?
Haha, I was the person who got the in-room Japanese breakfast reserved after a bit of pushback.

Award booking for a standard room, given 1 King Bed with Garden Terrace the day before in the app, then emailed on day of arrival when I saw a Park Suite available in inventory. Upgraded quickly and saw Park Suite in the app.
zoneflyer and Warriorconcept like this.

Last edited by wilywombat; Dec 15, 2022 at 11:45 am
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:46 pm

Hope this hotel is not practicing different treatments/responses to different customers, as someone upthread was firmly denied in-room Japanese breakfast but another person mentioned getting it while both checking in the same day.
I was able to get Japanese breakfast in room. Ordered it the day before when I had breakfast in the bistro and then called morning of and asked to have it delivered to room. Standard room booked on points (at pre category change none-the-less).
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Based on the experiences here, there should be no problem ordering Japanese breakfast after arriving there for a day or so later? We just want to try it once out of the 4 nights we are there. But then again, a bunch of people are emailing to reserve as well? And were they only giving issues with getting Japanese breakfast in-room opposed to Western? We prefer to have our breakfast in-room generally.

This might be an unusual question but how is the walk/roads to get to the hotel from the nearest bus stop from Kyoto Station? We have two checked bags on arrival and trying to see how bad it would be to just bus it vs taking a taxi. They are large bags but won't be very dense with stuff, so not too heavy. I ask because it was a little difficult with the roads/distance at our recent stay at GH Seoul in Korea. Pavement wasn't great for rolling luggage either.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by dsywon
Based on the experiences here, there should be no problem ordering Japanese breakfast after arriving there for a day or so later? We just want to try it once out of the 4 nights we are there. But then again, a bunch of people are emailing to reserve as well? And were they only giving issues with getting Japanese breakfast in-room opposed to Western? We prefer to have our breakfast in-room generally.

This might be an unusual question but how is the walk/roads to get to the hotel from the nearest bus stop from Kyoto Station? We have two checked bags on arrival and trying to see how bad it would be to just bus it vs taking a taxi. They are large bags but won't be very dense with stuff, so not too heavy. I ask because it was a little difficult with the roads/distance at our recent stay at GH Seoul in Korea. Pavement wasn't great for rolling luggage either.
We were there a week ago. They asked us every morning if we wanted western or Japanese breakfast the following day, and the hotel was fairly busy while we were there. I don't think there are any issues getting the Japanese breakfast the following day. I did find one slight annoyance around their breakfast, where each morning they asked me when I'd be down for breakfast the following morning (western breakfast). It seems odd to put this (admittedly small) cognitive load onto customers at a property like this. It made me feel like I had to plan my morning around when I told them I'd be there for breakfast. Of course I'm sure it doesn't really matter when you arrive, but when I give people a time I like to make it. Maybe it's a side effect of breakfast here being open to the public.

We didn't do the Japanese breakfast, so can't answer about in-room.

A taxi from Kyoto station is only around 1500 yen (bring cash). I'd highly recommend just taking that versus trying to get on a bus. Buses around Kyoto were packed every time I looked, and you'll be walking .3 miles up-hill from the closest stop.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by dsywon
I recommend taking a taxi, since the walk to the bus stop might have you going through semi-crowded areas, and the bus itself will likely be crowded. The front desk was happy to call me a taxi as we were checking out. I had no issues using a credit card for taxis to/from Kyoto Station. The cost came out to be about $12.50 USD, with the favorable exchange rate.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:58 am

Awesome, thank you both. Taxi it is!

on the breakfast it is strange they ask for time of arrival. I guess it’s their way of trying to be prepared for you? But I agree I would not like setting a time for that if it’s not room delivered.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:29 pm

Has anyone ordered both the Japanese and Western breakfast for in-room globalist booking? Is the additional charge just for the Japanese breakfast or also the Western breakfast? Have some family members heading there soon and was wondering if they should do in room or restaurant breakfast if one wants Japanese and one wants western. Someone mentioned upthread it was around 7600 yen, not sure if this is two Japanese breakfast or just one.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
Has anyone ordered both the Japanese and Western breakfast for in-room globalist booking? Is the additional charge just for the Japanese breakfast or also the Western breakfast? Have some family members heading there soon and was wondering if they should do in room or restaurant breakfast if one wants Japanese and one wants western. Someone mentioned upthread it was around 7600 yen, not sure if this is two Japanese breakfast or just one.
Can't answer your first question, but the additional charge is for Japanese breakfast only. The ~7600 JPY upcharge is for 2 people's Japanese breakfasts, so I believe it's half that for just one person. (My folio from last month shows a 7590 JPY charge, to be exact.)
myperks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.