Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hyatt Brand for China - UrCove

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 1:15 am

I stayed at UrCove Beijing Forbidden City last fall and they had no problem scanning my passport. Not sure why they'd change their policy if they already had things set up for foreign passport holders.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
I stayed at UrCove Beijing Forbidden City last fall and they had no problem scanning my passport. Not sure why they'd change their policy if they already had things set up for foreign passport holders.
Are you American?
Old May 16, 2023, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
It's conceivable that they let their license lapse. Or maybe they screwed up somehow and are being penalized. Or perhaps they simply don't want to deal with foreigners.

If anyone's really curious, they could contact the hotel.

lsquare I can almost guarantee you that they are not deliberately singling out Americans.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by moondog; May 16, 2023 at 11:25 am
Old May 16, 2023, 3:37 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Can’t find email to the hotel. Maybe we sure not updated
Old May 16, 2023, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Did you try calling them? +86 10 8511 0088
Old May 16, 2023, 6:36 am

[email protected]

There’s a great chance they won’t reply in time. If they do, expect crappy grammars or poorly translated content. Staying in the Grand mitigates you from any of those troubles, but god knows when they will decide to open their renovated rooms.

If you’re looking for “budget” options relatively close to the happenings, the JdV property at Sanlitun is alright.

Last edited by tailorgiven; May 16, 2023 at 6:51 am
Old May 16, 2023, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by tailorgiven
[email protected]

There’s a great chance they won’t reply in time. If they do, expect crappy grammars or poorly translated content. Staying in the Grand mitigates you from any of those troubles, but god knows when they will decide to open their renovated rooms.

If you’re looking for “budget” options relatively close to the happenings, the JdV property at Sanlitun is alright.
That's why I posted the phone number.
lsquare and WasKnown like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by moondog
That's why I posted the phone number.
It’s not unfair to assume the receptionist won’t know English at all, and I don’t expect the managers to be any better.

Either way just stay in the Grand or the JdV. UrCoves except for the new-builds aren’t worth your time.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by tailorgiven; May 16, 2023 at 10:14 am
Old May 16, 2023, 8:05 am

It’s not unfair to assume the receptionist won’t know English at all, and I don’t expect the managers to be any better.
Either way just stay in the Grand or the JdV. UrCoves except for the new-builds aren’t worth your time.
Oh, I'd certainly plan on speaking Chinese when calling them.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:12 am

Well it wasn’t you who’s asking for the email or phone numbers. I’d imagine a hard time for OP should they not speak Mandarin or have trouble finding someone who does.

Last edited by tailorgiven; May 16, 2023 at 10:14 am
Old May 16, 2023, 9:37 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Did you try calling them? +86 10 8511 0088
Agreed. Emailing Chinese hotels is very hit or miss so I would not bother trying to go that route. I would absolutely call rather than email for a Chinese hotel with someone that can speak mandarin.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The Grand will have the best English speakers at operator followed by the JVD. I have spoken in Engkish and Chinese in both. Same with Park Hyatt. HR Wang Jing Chinese as relatively few foreigners stay there.

It is doubtful the URbcove will have good English speakers orally. Written should be fine but they might be slow in responding.
Old May 16, 2023, 9:51 am

For UrCove whose demographic are primarily Chinese-speaking, I’d imagine further communication hiccups upon arrival. I’d strongly against any foreign national with little experience in Mandarin to stay at any UrCove (even if you do there’d be potential issues with document registration): they’re basically conversions of Home Inns, a local budget chain, and the properties have little connections with Hyatt despite the “UrCove by Hyatt” badge. If you’d really like to try one for brand explorer, the four properties in Shenzhen might be a starting point — they’re all new builds and accept foreign document holders.

TL;DR: it’s not worth your time and hassle.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
HR Wang Jing Chinese as relatively few foreigners stay there.
Not really — quite a few Mercedes executives stay extendedly in the property, along with a decent number of Korean guests and other Mercedes employees. They were hiring Korean-speaking receptionists a while back. Overall their English capabilities is far above average.

Ok so a usa pass can’t stay at UrCove Beijing Forbidden City
any other Hyatt close by tourist sites that is allowed?
The Grand, the Park, HR Wangjing and JdV BEI Zhaolong all ensure English-speaking capabilities and foreign guest registration. Hotel Éclat (SLH) is another great option and a deal at 9-12k points.

Location wise the Grand is undoubtedly the central most, but since attractions scatter around the main town, you won’t lose out much at either Park or Hotel Ećlat. JdV get you close to the hustle and bustles of Sanlitun, though admittedly the bar scenes are a lot worse compared to pre-COVID. HR Wangjing might be pretty off for tourists, but the property itself is decent with convenient public transport.

If you’re budget conscious, your best call would be the JdV BEI Zhaolong: competitive cash rates and redemption values, great surroundings with adequate shopping, dining and bar options, easy access to the Subway (Hujialou) and around 25 minutes to Tian’anmen square. The property itself has a few downsides, large and small, and it can be difficult to hail a taxi on weekend nights. Any upscale or above Hyatt in Beijing takes foreign documents, and if you don’t mind 30-minute+ subway rides in town the HP Daxing is also conceivable.

Last edited by tailorgiven; May 16, 2023 at 4:14 pm
Old May 16, 2023, 12:55 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
WOW great info!
How is the UrCove Beijing International Exhibition center location? Is it close to public transit? Is it a viable option for tourists?

Not really — quite a few Mercedes executives stay extendedly in the property, along with a decent number of Korean guests and other Mercedes employees. They were hiring Korean-speaking receptionists a while back. Overall their English capabilities is far above average.

Agreed — just get a friend who speaks Chinese on the phone with them if you can’t.

For UrCove whose demographic are primarily Chinese-speaking, I’d imagine further communication hiccups upon arrival. I’d strongly against any foreign national with little experience in Mandarin to stay at any UrCove (even if you do there’d be potential issues with document registration): they’re basically conversions of Home Inns, a local budget chain, and the properties have little connections with Hyatt despite the “UrCove by Hyatt” badge. If you’d really like to try one for brand explorer, the four properties in Shenzhen might be a starting point — they’re all new builds and accept foreign document holders.

TL;DR: it’s not worth your time and hassle.

The Grand, the Park, HR Wangjing and JdV BEI Zhaolong all ensure English-speaking capabilities and foreign guest registration. Hotel Éclat (SLH) is another great option and a deal at 9-12k points.

Location wise the Grand is undoubtedly the central most, but since attractions scatter around the main town, you won’t lose out much at either Park or Hotel Ećlat. JdV get you close to the hustle and bustles of Sanlitun, though admittedly the bar scenes are a lot worse compared to pre-COVID. HR Wangjing might be pretty off for tourists, but the property itself is decent with convenient public transport.

If you’re budget conscious, your best call would be the JdV BEI Zhaolong: competitive cash rates and redemption values, great surroundings with adequate shopping, dining and bar options, easy access to the Subway (Hujialou) and around 25 minutes to Tian’anmen square. The property itself has a few downsides, large and small, and it can be difficult to hail a taxi on weekend nights. Any upscale or above Hyatt in Beijing takes foreign documents, and if you don’t mind 30-minute+ subway rides in town the HP Daxing is also conceivable.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:17 pm

WOW great info!
How is the UrCove Beijing International Exhibition center location? Is it close to public transit? Is it a viable option for tourists?
That property is in somewhat of an off-center but okay location. The nearest subway station (Liufang, Line 13) is around a 10 to 15-minute walk away. Once you hop on, you’re looking at about 40 minutes to Tian’anmen. Shaoyaoju (Line 10 for Summer Palace, Olympic Park and Fragrant Mountain) and Dongzhimen (Line 2 for basically everything around the inner-circle, or the north, east and west 2nd Ring) are pretty close, though changing trains at both are really, really crowded amid rush hour. You’d want to avoid that. The hotel is however pretty close to the expressway connecting PEK and the Airport Express train station in Dongzhimen.

The property’s neighborhood is nothing special, just your run-of-the-mill middle-class residential blocks in Beijing. The property itself is a conversion from Home Inn, and I’ve heard mixed reviews on Chinese sites though I’ve never personally stayed there, nor am I sure whether foreign document holders are accepted. Try calling in if you have a friend who speaks Mandarin, and again the usual warnings of low English capabilities when you’re in-house (a small trivia on UrCove: they don’t use the standard Hyatt-flavored Opera or Colleague Advantage as their PMS, but a modified one based on Home Inn systems that’s entirely in Chinese).

Yeah I’d say it’s pretty viable for tourists if you’re fine with the mild inconveniences of getting to the subway, the boring neighborhood and the usual English warning. If the rates for the dates you chose are close, I’d recommend the BEI Zhaolong. It’s pretty sub-par for full-service hotels in China, but it’s much better than any UrCove. They use Opera for Hyatt as their PMS with no concerns for EQN and point credits, and I’m pretty sure the receptionists and operators can speak English!

Last edited by tailorgiven; May 16, 2023 at 1:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.