Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancellation Wording

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
In Hong Kong, the hotels even have cancellation policies with "72 hours prior to 11:59 local time day of arrival". I find it weird that they use times after official check in time. I guess the above means if you check in at 3 pm on Friday, then you can cancel until 11:59 on Tuesday night?

Why have they changed them? I suspect they want to deny any Best Rate Guarantees in future as many OTAs will state 0:00 for cancellation and with the slightly different deposit policies it’ll be virtually impossible to make BRG claims with Hyatt.
It's not just Hong Kong, they've started using "11:59 local time" in most locations. It is a bit odd to use 11:59 rather than check in time, but it's also less ambiguous (previously the policies rarely referred to "check in time" or an actual time, e.g. 4pm, but would just say "48 hours" etc.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by coleslaw
It's not just Hong Kong, they've started using "11:59 local time" in most locations. It is a bit odd to use 11:59 rather than check in time, but it's also less ambiguous (previously the policies rarely referred to "check in time" or an actual time, e.g. 4pm, but would just say "48 hours" etc.
Do any other places (sorry I’ve been locked up here for effectively 2.5 years!) also have "on the day of arrival” because I find that part really odd especially since 11:59 pm on the day of arrival is after check in! Weird logic.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
It’s not just Hyatt either I’ve stayed at both Hilton’s and Hyatts for many years and Hilton just recently changed their cancellation policies.

Every other site selling the same room I checked their cancellation policy is 5 days before, which has been the standard for many years. Thus making it impossible to do a BRG with Hilton, I’m thinking Hyatt May follow suit based on these changing cancellation policies.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by philemer
I'm planning a 7 night stay on points at a Wailea, Maui, Destination by Hyatt Residence condo in January. The Deposit/Cancellation info says:

Deposit Policy
Credit Card Deposit Required 1 NIGHT(S) DEPOSIT WILL BE CHARGED TO CREDIT CARD

Cancellation Policy
14days Prior/One Night Non-Refundable Deposit/Balance Due 14days Pr

The cash price/night is abt $300/night. Does the above mean they will charge my card ~$300 and that it is non-refundable no matter when I cancel? If I cancel at least 14 days prior I'll get my points returned but NOT the ~$300?

Edit: Answered in another thread. 1 night fee is not refundable.
We weren't able to stay at the Wailea properties in Jan. so we're looking at booking some nights for next Jan. Their cancellation policy has changed. Now it says:

Cancellation Policy
30 Days Prior To 11:59 Pm Local Time The Day Of Arrival Or Two Night Fee/ Two Night Deposit At Booking.

This is more liberal as you won't get dinged at all if you cancel 30 days prior. But w/in 30 days it's worse as you'll get dinged two 2 nights. Am I reading it correctly?

Last edited by philemer; Feb 15, 2023 at 5:08 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
We weren't able to stay at the Wailea properties in Jan. so we're looking at booking some nights for next Jan. Their cancellation policy has changed. Now it says:

Cancellation Policy
30 Days Prior To 11:59 Pm Local Time The Day Of Arrival Or Two Night Fee/ Two Night Deposit At Booking.

This is more liberal as you won't get dinged at all if you cancel 30 days prior. But w/in 30 days it's worse as you'll get dinged two for 2 nights. Am I reading it correctly?
Yes - I think that's what it means. I'm starting to learn their crazy lingo these days, and I don't seem to have misinterpreted one to my peril.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Thanks. Maybe it's bit more liberal b/c I'm looking 11 mo. out. Just a SWAG.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 7:20 pm

Resurrecting this thread b/c I’ve never seen anything like this for the PH Paris for a standard king room using points for 3 nights almost 7 months from now… Non-refundable?? Heh?

Terms & Conditions
Deposit Policy
Deposit Required By April 4, 2023. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 3 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.
Cancellation Policy
Non-Refundable/ 100 Prcnt Deposit At Booking

That can’t possibly mean what I think it means, right? They take all my points now and if I change my mind or find even better dates tomorrow, I’m just sol?
Old Apr 2, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhg247
Resurrecting this thread b/c I’ve never seen anything like this for the PH Paris for a standard king room using points for 3 nights almost 7 months from now… Non-refundable?? Heh?

Terms & Conditions
Deposit Policy
Deposit Required By April 4, 2023. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 3 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.
Cancellation Policy
Non-Refundable/ 100 Prcnt Deposit At Booking

That can’t possibly mean what I think it means, right? They take all my points now and if I change my mind or find even better dates tomorrow, I’m just sol?
"SOL"... you'll get your points back and you'll potentially also get a hefty charge to the credit card on file for the cash equivalent.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I assume cash equivalent is rack rate.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
"SOL"... you'll get your points back and you'll potentially also get a hefty charge to the credit card on file for the cash equivalent.
Originally Posted by beachfan
Well, umm, that’s bonkers!
Is this the strictest known cancellation policy? I didn’t see anything upthread that even approaches this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by beachfan
yep. Rack for sure.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rhg247
Well, umm, that’s bonkers!
Is this the strictest known cancellation policy? I didn’t see anything upthread that even approaches this.
Not entirely unusual for popular properties during peak periods. See also:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...le-points.html
Didn't show up for an Award reservation and was charged in $
Beware of nonrefundable award reservations
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Yes, I am always concerned about that, especially since many premium properties now have 7-14 days cancellation policies. What is bizzare is that it states NOWHERE how much I am actually on the hook for? The cash rates vary all the time, it might have been $500 at the time when I made my original booking but now they want $1000 because they are almost full. These policies seem crazy. How can this be upheld in a court of law? Do you know any other contract where essentially you have no idea how much you may be liable for? Recently there was a story of a Marriott property I believe in Vail that charged someone 11k for cancellation an award reservation 59 days before (the cutoff was 60 days). 11k is insane and was stated nowhere.
So in many ways, these award stays are very risky - with and cash stay I know the rate and I would never book an insane rate to begin with.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by kutzsche
Yes, I am always concerned about that, especially since many premium properties now have 7-14 days cancellation policies. What is bizzare is that it states NOWHERE how much I am actually on the hook for? The cash rates vary all the time, it might have been $500 at the time when I made my original booking but now they want $1000 because they are almost full. These policies seem crazy. How can this be upheld in a court of law? Do you know any other contract where essentially you have no idea how much you may be liable for? Recently there was a story of a Marriott property I believe in Vail that charged someone 11k for cancellation an award reservation 59 days before (the cutoff was 60 days). 11k is insane and was stated nowhere.
So in many ways, these award stays are very risky - with and cash stay I know the rate and I would never book an insane rate to begin with.
Use the lack of mention of the actual amount that will be charged (in case of cancellation or no show) to your advantage as it is a good argument to argue against the fee if charged, in a chargeback to your credit card issuer or in a small claims lawsuit
strickerj likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 5:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The new cancellation wording is confusing and not consistent in different languages:

- English: 24hours Prior To 11:59 Pm Local Time The Day Of Arrival Or 1 Night Fee/ Credit Card Req
- German: Stornierung bis 24 stunden vor ankunft zur vermeidung einer gebühr in höhe der kosten für 1 nacht/kreditkarte erforderlich.
- French: Annulation au moins 24 heures avant l’arrivée prévue pour éviter des frais de pénalité d’une nuit / carte de crédit requise

(same hotel/dates, just changing language)

After submitting the reservation, the English wording shown on the confirmation is inconsistent with the wording on the booking screen, and doesn't specify prior to what:

- 24HRS PRIOR OR 1 NIGHT FEE/ CREDIT CARD REQ

In German and French, the confirmation shows the same language as is shown prior to booking:
- STORNIERUNG BIS 24 STUNDEN VOR ANKUNFT ZUR VERMEIDUNG EINER GEBÜHR IN HÖHE DER KOSTEN FÜR 1 NACHT/KREDITKARTE ERFORDERLICH
FLYGVA and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.