Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Montréal (Ville-Marie) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Montréal (Ville-Marie) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:38 am

Looks like this property is simply named "Hyatt Centric Montreal" now

https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt-centric/...ntric-montreal
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:15 am

Just had a 1 night stay here in the base room ("King"). It's a nice property and very conveniently located, but some minor annoyances with service:
  • Called to request Globalist upgrade to high-floor King before I arrived (best room available), and they agreed, but after checking in, my room was only on the 5th floor (?)
  • Nobody was at the check-in desk when I arrived, and waited 5 minutes for someone to arrive
  • The room was advertised as a King bed, but the bed was definitely a Queen size
  • Upon check-in, I was told that breakfast would be in Cartier Arms by the hotel entrance, but the breakfast service was actually in the tiny meeting room across from the elevators. With only a few tables, there was a 10 minute wait to be seated
  • The food was great, but keep in mind that the Globalist breakfast policy was strictly enforced here (1 entree, 1 juice, 1 drip coffee). When I ordered some homefries on the side, they said it would be charged to my room. My cappuccino was exceptionally reimbursed
Old Jul 6, 2023, 12:13 pm

Recently completed a 3-night stay here (that was supposed to be a 4-night stay, but we had some flight issues). We were unexpectedly upgraded from a base 1 King to a suite (Globalist), which we really appreciated... though I should note that our suite had an adjoining room with noisy neighbors and not-great soundproofing. The hotel is really conveniently located, and the rooftop pool and bar are both open. We had after-dinner drinks at the rooftop bar, and the views up there are great.

We had breakfast twice at Cartier Arms. As others have mentioned, the Globalist breakfast benefit is for 1 main dish + 1 juice + 1 coffee. As a Globalist, my bill had gratuity automatically included, and everything was properly zeroed out when I checked out. All our breakfast dishes were tasty, though service was a little hit-or-miss. Sounds like cherrydude and I were there at the same time; I didn't have breakfast at the hotel that morning (the last day of our stay), but my friends (who I booked as GOH) did, and they also mentioned that they'd had breakfast in the conference room. I believe valet parking was $25/night but comped for my GOH friends.

I'd definitely consider staying here again on a future trip to Montreal.
Thunderroad and cherrydude like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a Globalist on vacation, I really liked the location of this hotel. It would be hard to be better for tourist purposes, and the free parking on an award stay was great (driving and parking in Montreal is, in general, not great -- although I noticed a surprising number of people parking on the elevated street in front of the hotel, so there must be some advantage to that).

"Old Montreal," is a nice area to walk around in, and you can even make it to Chinatown on foot in about 15 minutes (a good option to consider for dinner).

We were upgraded to the corner suite, but the suite has an inconvenient, aethetically-unpleasing layout, so it wasn't a great room. Not really sure why they went for the "bomb shelter ceilings" in the bedrooms, and the concrete pillars don't do much for the atmosphere. But the view of the river and port is nice.

The highlight of the hotel is definitely the newly opened rooftop pool. It's small, but has great views. Too bad you can probably only use it maybe 45 days a year. Even in July, you needed a good weather day.

They served us the Globalist breakfast in the restaurant, and were told of the coffee/juice/one-dish limit. We had the "full English breakfast" and it was good, but not exceptional. Service was OK.

Bottomline, as a Globalist on an award stay, I would definitely return for 12,000 points (and I even got rebated 2000 points in the Summer Canada promo). If I were just an ordinary
visitor to Montreal, I would not pay a premium to stay at this hotel.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:54 am

Had a pleasant stay here - no status with Hyatt so was given a King Room on the 4th Floor facing the courtyard. Cleaning staff here work hard but are a bit slow/understaffed (we came back to our room around 4 PM one day and room still hadn't been cleaned)

Front Desk was very efficient with my check-in and very helpful. Was reviewing my charges on the app after the first night of my stay and noticed a charge to my room which I didn't incur, and I brought it to the attention of the front desk, and then resolved it immediately.

Had signed up for the World of Hyatt Journey Across Canada Promotion for the extra 2000 points per stay. Have already been credited the base points for my stay at this Hyatt Centric credit but still waiting for the extra 2000 bonus points.

We found calling an Uber here to be very unreliable - some Ubers can't seem to find the hotel (they get redirected to a different location under the bridge) and then cancel, and we also had trouble getting an uber to the airport in the morning (front desk called a taxi for us instead which arrived at our hotel in minutes after waiting for 15 minutes for an Uber.

Taxi rides to the airport is a flat rate $49 and change back to the airport and could be cheaper than an Uber if Uber has surge pricing, and definitely are faster (as they can use the dedicated taxi/bus lanes) and at least in our experience much more reliable.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:34 pm

Overbilled

So I just checked my credit card statement, and it looks like the charge that I mentioned in my previous post which was mistakenly billed to my room and that was removed from my folio when I brought it to their attention, and that didn't appear on my final folio when I checked out, was in fact charged to my credit card.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EP, B6 M4
Stayed here for a week a little while back, overall extremely disappointed and personally will not be returning the next time I'm in Montreal.

We did room service for the Globalist breakfast nearly every day, and the restaurant kept messing up our order one way or another. Everyone also kept quoting different inclusions for the breakfast -- the only thing it includes is one entree (except the smash burger), one black coffee or tea, and one juice. One day, the person on the phone said that we can get a cappuccino instead of the coffee for free. This is NOT true, we ended up getting charged for her mistake. Another day they forgot half the order but by the time we got the order breakfast hours were over.

There was no hot water one of the nights. The housekeeping only swapped out the towels one day and did nothing else (?). There was a really foul odor coming from the shower another day.

But probably the biggest issue is the location. It's really far out on the edge of Old Port and near none of the best spots. It's 10 minutes to the nearest train stop b/c of construction. We swapped to another hotel near the St Catherine area and enjoyed that such much more. Montreal is super walkable / transit-friendly; we'll definitely stay near St Catherine or a subway station next time. (However, unlike other posters, we actually didn't have any issues with Uber pickup / dropoffs.)
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:16 am

Had a great 4 night stay here. Rooftop pool view is amazing, I was able to swim a couple of the days. Breakfast, not sure why people complain about it the, food was great and its exactly the benefit as described, one coffee, one juice, on entree and the entree does include the smash burger but the burger is only sold on weekends so you cannot order it on weekdays since they do not serve it. Room was pretty good, housekeeping did a great job each day which was nice since we had a 1yr with us. Location could be a bit better but I honestly liked its proximity to certain things I wanted to be near. Only issue I had during the stay was Valet didn't valet my car the last night and left it on the street so it took them 20 minutes to "find" it, luckily I didn't get a ticket (maybe I could have just parked there free?). All in all I only paid like $180 a night so great deal with breakfast for 3. I would have paid more. Massive thunderstorms while I was there so the umbrella from FD saved us. Rooftop bar selection was weak and expensive.
COLINDAD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
We found calling an Uber here to be very unreliable - some Ubers can't seem to find the hotel (they get redirected to a different location under the bridge) and then cancel, and we also had trouble getting an uber to the airport in the morning (front desk called a taxi for us instead which arrived at our hotel in minutes after waiting for 15 minutes for an Uber.

Taxi rides to the airport is a flat rate $49 and change back to the airport and could be cheaper than an Uber if Uber has surge pricing, and definitely are faster (as they can use the dedicated taxi/bus lanes) and at least in our experience much more reliable.
FYI Ubers use bus/taxi lane on route 20 as well.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Had a great two night stay here. Arrived on a redeye so really appreciated the 8 am check in (no suite upgrade as a Globalist, but did get a 5th floor room and cared more about the early check in anyways), 4 pm late checkout granted with no pushback. Breakfast in Cartier Arms was as described by others here, one entree, one juice, and coffee. Would double check your bill upon checkout as one day we had breakfast a bit late around 10:30-11 and it billed as lunch but front desk was able to remove it with no issues. Loved the location, easy walking to Old Port/Old Montreal/Chinatown, took multiple Ubers with no issues on pickup/drop off. Rooftop had great views, nice place to chill and unwind although I did not use the pool. Overall would definitely recommend.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I stayed here in August and I want to preface by saying that I think (& hope) most of the issues I faced were growing pains for an almost brand-new hotel. I hope they will take action on the feedback I gave them. And while there are a few building issues that can't be resolved, if they fix the other stuff, I'd personally return to this hotel.

The Good

Location - Not everyone will agree, but I like the location. The Old Port area of town is bigger and nicer than I remembered and the hotel is very close to some great restaurants on Rue Saint-Paul. It's not central to the city, though so for those going to events at the Bell Centre, this isn't for you (unless you're cool with taking the Metro).

Rooftop Bar - Rooftop bar is really nice and has a great view, although it's (predictably) a bit expensive. They seemed to have company events there both nights we went up. Given the climate of the area, it's probably only going to make sense from May-Oct. however there's also a little area inside so maybe they'll keep that open year-round?

Staff - The staff was universally nice (although some still need training).

The Bad

Parking garage - it would've been nice to receive an email prior to my stay (or even in the reservation confirmation email) stating the address & directions for those who are self-parking. It took me almost 15 minutes to loop around from the check-in/valet area to the parking garage during rush hour and I would've simply gone directly to the parking garage, if I had known it was such a hassle. To help future hotel guests, drive directly here to self-park. Slowly pull-up to the large garage door and it'll automatically open (the door looks like a service door and not a standard hotel parking garage but trust me, it is) and then you drive down, get a ticket & park. Take ticket to front desk to get validated when you check-in. Driving directly there can save a TON of time if you arrive around a rush hour because the elevated street that's the main entrance requires you to loop pretty far away.

Globalist breakfast - They don't currently allow Globalists to customize their order and they only have like eight menu items. All I wanted for breakfast was eggs, bacon, ham & fruit but there was no way to order that from the limited menu options. Instead, I had to order the English breakfast (which cost much more) then remove a bunch of items...but I still couldn't get fruit. They also charged us $7 for my wife to get a cappuccino instead of coffee (which is included) which seems excessive to me. I can't think of another Hyatt that has charged me for a coffee upgrade.

Elevators - This hotel only has two elevators for six guest floors, two parking garage floors (only accessible by one elevator) & the roof deck (also only accessible by one elevator). I have no idea why they don't have more, but be prepared to wait.

Hotel layout - Despite being brand-new construction, I'll never understand this hotel's design. The building itself is much larger (it seems to be an apartment complex in the floors that aren't Hyatt Centric), but the Hyatt has floors 2-7, with one side facing the river. You'd think that would be great except floors 2-5 on the river side face the elevated road and have zero view. Only floors 6 & 7 have a view above the roadway. I was also told all the suites are on floors 2 & 3, so if you get a suite, hopefully you can get one facing the other way (north). I'll never understand why this hotel is ok with having 67% of their rooms on one side look at or below an elevated roadway. Seems like something that should only be allowed for Hyatt House or Hyatt Place hotels.

The Awful

Dogs - I'm not sure why, but the dog issue was really bad during my stay (& I love dogs!). We saw at least a dozen dogs during our three days and some of them should not have been traveling. We heard multiple dogs barking when walking down the hallways (presumably left in rooms by guests) led me to the conclusion that because the hallways are so quiet (more on that later), even the good dogs probably bark. And the dog in the room next to us barked like crazy most of our first night, so we got very little sleep. It seems that there's an easy fix for this and I've already suggested to the hotel that you create 'dog zones' within the hotel, that are all located on one or two floors (not floor 7, the top floor) and aren't close to the elevator. This will also help with dog cleaning because (as I also mentioned in my online comment), we could strongly smell the room next to us being cleaned after the dog left, and it lingered in our room for the whole second day. It also irked me a bit when I had to complain to the front desk about the dog next door and the only option given was for me to change rooms--instead of the barking dog room being moved or booted from hotel. Also, at least two guests brought their dogs into the restaurant for breakfast during my stay and I saw one feeding their dog directly from the table. Again, I love dogs but the complete lack of planning or policing on the hotel's part about dogs made our stay pretty awful.

Hallway noise - You could hear a pin-drop in these hallways and that's problematic because they're concrete and the sound carries. I ran my room's fan at full blast all night just to get a little white noise, but even that doesn't give much (the HVAC is really quiet) and we woke up several times to dogs barking, guests talking as they walked down the hall & housekeeping begin working (which apparently starts at 8am on weekdays). This hotel is NOT for light sleepers...at least not without bringing a white noise machine (something I also suggested the hotel carry for guests).
seawolf and Thunderroad like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I will say - it seems like floors 4 and above have a view above the roadway - floor 3 is the lobby and road level, but there are rooms below the road on floor 2. I'm on floor 4 and have a very nice view.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Some thoughts and photos after my 2-night stay here (making some serious changes staying 2 nights somewhere - alert the media):
  • Upgraded before the day of arrival to a King Suite, which stuck at check-in
  • The suite was on the 4th floor facing north and had a lovely view of the Ferris wheel and some lovely sunrises
  • The suite layout is somewhat odd - I’m assuming support pillars for the taller tower attached - but I didn’t have issue with it
  • Couch was large and generally comfortable
  • Bed had a plush mattress and decently plush pillows - I found the sheets to be a bit “starchy” and the covers were thinner and lumpier than I would have expected for a hotel of this age
  • I don’t think the thermostat was accurate - it said it was 17 or 18 but felt much warmer - that said, it was fine because it’s so cold outside
  • Shower pressure from the wand head was good
  • Not a fan of single-use toiletries - there’s never enough body wash
  • Staff was generally friendly - though, I had to ask myself about Globalist breakfast, breakfast hours, and late checkout
  • There was a Hyatt Centric embossed milk chocolate bar as a welcome gift
  • Breakfast was pretty good - I got the Pain Perdu entree, which included a fried egg and bacon - the bacon was delicious - it is odd that they don’t have a breakfast with eggs, meat, toast, and potatoes - you either have eggs, toast, and potatoes or the Full English with all of the meats (including black pudding), mushrooms, etc - gratuity was included, but you still have to sign the receipt
  • The location is not in the Centric of anything - far north end of Old Montreal with no restaurants or anything close by - just a lot of apartments

If you’re like me and need Hyatt nights and are visiting Montreal, then this will do.

Photos:

seawolf and Thunderroad like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
All suites seem to have disappeared from booking page - checked many dates. Anyone know what's up?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I am a lowly Discoverist going this weekend, and staying Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Friday is an award night, Saturday and Sunday are paid nights. I expect nothing as an upgrade, and I understand my parking will be paid for the award stay. I am hoping they will cover the other two nights of parking. I am happy to have my car be self-parked and just sit there, and not go in and out. I know I get no breakfast, either. Any idea of chances of this happening? I made sure to book directly with Hyatt, and I am a long time Hyatt member. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.