Wiki Posts
Search

Key in Apple Wallet rollout

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Key in Apple Wallet rollout

I've used the Apple Wallet-based digital key a couple of times and it works great -- unlike the old bluetooth-based key in the app, which is cumbersome and less convenient than a normal key card. However, nearly 18 months after announcing this feature, the number of properties that support it is still vanishingly small. ~100 I believe, and most are limited-service properties.

I would have assumed that the technical integration would be a lot of work for a given type of door lock / software system, but once that was solved, the rollout to other properties that use the same system would be easy. However, the pace of adoption has never picked up, and brand new hotels are opening without this feature. Curious if anyone has heard anything from Hyatt on this subject?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Nope. The one property I used it at last year was Hyatt House Chicago West Loop, and it worked great.

However, the greatest problem is properties refusing to even do online check in and then push the key down to your phone.

They all want you to go to the front desk first. Which defeats the whole purpose of mobile key.

This is one place Hilton is light years ahead of Marriott and Hyatt. Their mobile key has always worked flawlessly for me every time. And the app does an amazing job allowing you to choose your room as well.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Definitely agree that the lack of consistency with online check-in is annoying -- although even then I see some value in Mobile Key for the convenience factor. Out of curiosity, does the Hilton mobile key work without unlocking your phone and opening the Hilton app?
Old Apr 12, 2023, 4:52 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This is one place Hilton is light years ahead of Marriott and Hyatt. Their mobile key has always worked flawlessly for me every time. And the app does an amazing job allowing you to choose your room as well.
Hilton's tech team is generally pretty good relative to other major hotel chains (though that isn't saying much). I'm not surprised Hyatt has been so slow to roll this out given their history with technology.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Hilton's tech team is generally pretty good relative to other major hotel chains (though that isn't saying much). I'm not surprised Hyatt has been so slow to roll this out given their history with technology.
I dunno. Hilton has its own challenges with technology. Took them forever to show free night certs online, but we still can’t book them without calling. Still need to contact customer service for lifetime status progress. And their login system was a mess for a long time. In general, few travel companies are great IT companies. They all have issues and challenges in some areas and shine in others. Perhaps a reflection of where they invest limited budgets.

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
However, the greatest problem is properties refusing to even do online check in and then push the key down to your phone.

They all want you to go to the front desk first. Which defeats the whole purpose of mobile key.

This is one place Hilton is light years ahead of Marriott and Hyatt.
Perhaps they want you to show up instead of mattress-running from remote or letting someone else use your room?

Or they want to make sure they can issue you the precious water bottles in person?

I have rarely chosen mobile key, but always in addition to a physical keycard. Since I am usually traveling with my wife, we need two cards anyway. Does any chain allow you to grant a second phone key access?​​​​

Last edited by notquiteaff; Apr 13, 2023 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:37 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I dunno. Hilton has its own challenges with technology. Took them forever to show free night certs online, but we still can’t book them without calling. Still need to contact customer service for lifetime status progress. And their login system was a mess for a long time. In general, few travel companies are great IT companies. They all have issues and challenges in some areas and shine in others. Perhaps a reflection of where they invest limited budgets.
​​​​
Most hotel companies definitely have very very weak tech. Personally, I think Hilton is the “least bad” out of the big 4 points chains but, to your point, they are still lacking in many areas.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.