Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Caption by Hyatt Namba Osaka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caption by Hyatt Namba Osaka REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave510
I used to be the same, but ever single hotel brands started multiplying faster than bunnies I’ve given up, especially for brands that I have no intention of visiting any time soon (like UrCove).
I was also finished before the all inclusive bonanza. UrCove, I would MR if I ever found myself in a Chinese city that has one and it wasn't too much of an inconvenience to get to. I just want to check off what I can, when I can.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angellt
1 entree + drink for adults from a limited specific Globalist menu
2 baked goods + drink for kids

Eemon plate options - anything with more yen on it is an extra charge

Globalist specific menu - pick one

Kids pick 2 from here
Thanks for the details. Kids deserve more than just bread though.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:31 pm

Caption Namba Osaka - after only its first five nights

Caption at Namba, Osaka has potential, but opens as a disappointment. The hard product is shiny, new, and occasionally beautiful. Globalist breakfast is a choice from three very small 2,400 yen sets including a drink. You will be hungry again before you finish your coffee. Globalists can get early check in and late check out, but no Globalist room upgrades, no Globalist welcome drink.

Talk Shop, which makes up the entire entrance and check-in area, marketed as a brand-defining, flexible, DIY, you-are-in-control coworking and community area, is actually just an overpriced restaurant, where you will be asked to leave (really. seriously.) if you don't buy something or have a room reservation, and where staying guests cannot bring in outside food. Cafe latte 750 yen. Draft beer 1100 yen.

Management seems, at best, terribly inexperienced. Despite having empty minimum-sized rooms available every night, they refuse to accept new World of Hyatt point or free night reservations for most nights in June, July, August, and mid September apparently somehow believing that an empty room generating zero revenue is better than a point redemption generating some revenue. Encouraging guests to earn World of Hyatt points that they cannot actually redeem is fraud.

If you, like I, were lucky enough to get a room reservation on points during the day or two they were available, great, Caption is fairly valued at category 1.

For a cash stay, Hyatt Place Kyoto is a better, and often much cheaper, choice. If you just need a place to crash after spending a night eating, drinking and wandering around the lively Namba area, APA hotel, Toyoko Inn or about a dozen other select-service hotels in the area would work just as well, for less than half the current price of Caption.

Caption Namba Osaka vs Hyatt Place Kyoto

Hyatt Place Kyoto wins on its buffet breakfast, ease of train access, free coffee in the lounge, free space to bring in food or drinks, and hospitality. It is also often significantly cheaper.

Caption Namba Osaka wins on Wifi speeds (28 mps at caption vs 3 mps at Hyatt place Kyoto) and as new a badge for your Brand Explorer collection.

They tie on attached restaurants (Talk Shop and School Bus Coffee), interiors, rooms, bathrooms, beds, gyms, (lack of) Globalist benefits and ability to cast to TVs.

2400 yen Breakfast above and below. Free for adult Globalists

Pizza 1300 yen
kaiotes and suite2suite like this.

Last edited by Mark McCracken; Aug 6, 2024 at 12:13 am
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm not really about the FNC. I just want the badges filled in on the Explorer sheet. Urks me everytime to see something incomplete. If I'm in Osaka and it's convenient then I would book and check out the property. However, I would not book a round-trip flight from Korea to MR/knock this one off.
I was also finished before the all inclusive bonanza. UrCove, I would MR if I ever found myself in a Chinese city that has one and it wasn't too much of an inconvenience to get to. I just want to check off what I can, when I can.
Haha you are exactly the customer Hyatt was targeting with the brand explorer. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have given mine hardly any thought. When I got my first FNA I didn't even realize why, it took me awhile to find out that I'd hit the fifth brand.
Dave510 likes this.

Last edited by projectmaximus; Jun 18, 2024 at 5:40 pm
Old Jun 18, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mark McCracken
Point availability lasted about 48 hours. The price also increased from a minimum of 15,300 to 17,700. Osaka has a strong local Hyatt following, and a bit of a Hyatt community, but no hotel. The Osaka Hyatt died June 30 of last year, but everyone knew that Caption was coming, so I think a lot of people waited, then took their remaining points and booked a ton of nights at Caption to re-qualify.

I hope I am wrong, but I suspect people who pay cash will be disappointed. The neighborhood is surrounded by similar sized hotel rooms for less than 10,000 per night. The five-minute outdoor walk from the train station, lugging your belongings would be unpleasant in the rain or the summer heat. Management could exceed expectations with great amenities or welcome presents or outstanding hospitality, but since it will be managed not by Hyatt managers, but by outside franchise managers, I am not expecting that to happen.

Hyatt Place Kyoto has slow wifi, and also has franchise management, but it has a great breakfast for Globalists, and it sits directly above a subway station. You can walk to the stair entrance without setting foot on the sidewalk. If the price of Caption Namba and Hyatt Place Kyoto continue to overlap, or if Caption Namba matches Hyatt Place Kyoto and goes to Category 2, then I think most people would prefer Hyatt Place Kyoto.
Points availability has just opened up for my early July stay. I've been checking for weeks for an upcoming stay and wasn't able to find points availability until today, however, points availability appears to disappear beyond a three week horizon on random dates that I checked. Maybe a case of the hotel opening up points stays once they realize they won't be full?
Mark McCracken likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 5:57 am

Americans won’t be able to use the laundry machines and capture image at checkin

Just checked in this afternoon after staying at the Hyatt Place Kyoto and wanted to use the laundry machine. I was surprised that no one was using the machines whereas all three of the machines at Hyatt Place Kyoto were constantly in use. After looking at the payment system I understand why!!!! The hotel is cashless and will not accept coins but only accept QR code payments using Pay Pay, We Chat pays or Ali Pay etc. I went downstairs and talked to the duty manager and complained about this. All I got was apologies and suggestions for offsite laundromat!

This is ridiculous that Hyatt being an American hotel will only accept Japanese and Chinese payment types for its laundry machines but not American payments.

In addition, this is the first hotel I stayed at that captures your image at check in. Had I known that it is part of the process I would not have booked here.

Payment types accepted by laundry machine

Last edited by Alinsfca; Jun 21, 2024 at 6:32 am
Old Jun 21, 2024, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Just checked in this afternoon after staying at the Hyatt Place Kyoto and wanted to use the laundry machine. I was surprised that no one was using the machines whereas all three of the machines at Hyatt Place Kyoto were constantly in use. After looking at the payment system I understand why!!!! The hotel is cashless and will not accept coins but only accept QR code payments using Pay Pay, We Chat pays or Ali Pay etc. I went downstairs and talked to the duty manager and complained about this. All I got was apologies and suggestions for offsite laundromat!

This is ridiculous that Hyatt being an American hotel will only accept Japanese and Chinese payment types for its laundry machines but not American payments.

Payment types accepted by laundry machine
They should have at least put a credit card reader on it and Apple Pay for non-Chinese foreigners.
Alinsfca likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 9:08 pm

They should have at least put a credit card reader on it and Apple Pay for non-Chinese foreigners.
Or at a minimum an IC card reader. Nearly all other vending solutions seem to take IC, even in hotels.
Alinsfca likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:02 am

Update on the payment situation

The room manager approached me this morning at coffee and apologized again about the lack of payment options for western guests. She said they will look into this with the vendor and hopefully it will be available when I return to the hotel next time!

I booked for four nights and cancelled my last two nights when I talked to the duty manager last night. I actually didn’t really like staying in this location that much! I think I prefer the dojima area better. I will be checking out the Voco.

The manager also confirmed that the image at check in is just to match it to the passport and is not kept on their system. I wish they have a sign somewhere to let us know about it.
Old Jun 30, 2024, 11:51 pm

FYI, today I found some availability in August and made a reservation. For those of you looking in August, worth checking out!
Old Jul 1, 2024, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Alinsfca
The room manager approached me this morning at coffee and apologized again about the lack of payment options for western guests. She said they will look into this with the vendor and hopefully it will be available when I return to the hotel next time!

I booked for four nights and cancelled my last two nights when I talked to the duty manager last night. I actually didn’t really like staying in this location that much! I think I prefer the dojima area better. I will be checking out the Voco.

The manager also confirmed that the image at check in is just to match it to the passport and is not kept on their system. I wish they have a sign somewhere to let us know about it.
Do you remember if the machine's coin slot was blocked off? Looking at the pictures, it looks like it takes coins, which would be easy enough for a Western guest.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 2:34 am

I was recently there and the coin slot was blocked off with tape, but it was obvious others had been removing it and using coins. Just allowing coins would be a simple fix.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 2:36 am

Agreed. I was there a couple weeks ago and the limited payment options sucked. They need to either support more payment systems (Apple Pay, PayPal, etc.), credit cards, or coins. The coin slot was taped over, but people were peeling it off and using them anyway.
Aventine likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KentyMac
Agreed. I was there a couple weeks ago and the limited payment options sucked. They need to either support more payment systems (Apple Pay, PayPal, etc.), credit cards, or coins. The coin slot was taped over, but people were peeling it off and using them anyway.
That's something at least.
Old Jul 4, 2024, 5:49 am

That is incredibly strange that they don't want to take cash. This could cause problems even with Japanese guests if they're elderly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.