Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Globalists - Variations in Complimentary Breakfast Voucher Use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2023 | 8:31 am
Original Poster

I'm a Hyatt Globalist frequently on the road and one of the perks I cherish the most is the complimentary breakfast that comes with the status. I'm particularly curious about your experiences when using the breakfast voucher, especially in situations when you're dining solo.

Here's what I've noticed: the voucher typically states it's good for an "American breakfast, gratuity included, for up to 2 adults and 2 children." Now, when I'm alone, I've had different experiences at various properties. Sometimes, servers are incredibly accommodating and let me order just about anything off the menu, which is great! But this got me thinking – is this flexibility primarily out of kindness and customer service, or is there a chance that the more I order, the higher the gratuity that's included with the voucher, thereby benefitting the server more?

What have your experiences been like? Have you found that you're able to order beyond the typical 'American breakfast' when dining alone? Does it seem like the server’s attitude is correlated with the potential tip they receive, or is it simply a pleasant example of Hyatt hospitality? Also, have you noticed any particular trends or policies at certain locations regarding this?

I’m just curious about how different locations handle this and if there’s an unwritten rule or policy that I'm not aware of.

Would love to hear your stories and insights.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Well, a good place to the start is the terms and conditions:
(d) Club Lounge Access/Breakfast Benefit. When staying at a participating hotel or resort that has a Club lounge, Globalists will receive access to the Club lounge. When staying at a participating hotel or resort that does not have a Club lounge (or if Club lounge is closed), Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children. The age cut-off for a “child” is determined by each hotel or resort in its sole discretion. (For stays at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, Globalists will instead be provided with daily continental breakfast (tax and gratuity included) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children. For stays at a Caption by Hyatt hotel, Globalists will instead be provided with a breakfast consisting of one (1) “elevated” coffee and one (1) “small plate” option for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children. Breakfast benefit (where provided) is not valid for in-room dining. Not valid at Miraval, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Vacation Club hotels and resorts, at the Laurel Inn, Ventana Campground, or at any Destination by Hyatt Residences location except the following (at which breakfast will be available to Globalist guests in accordance with the above terms): The Lodge at Spruce Peak; Everline Resort and Spa; Wild Dunes Resort – Sweetgrass Inn and Boardwalk Inn; Wild Dunes Resort Vacation Rentals; and Wild Dunes Resorts – Residences at Sweetgrass Inn. For any stay at the AluaSun Far Menorca resort, this breakfast benefit will be provided to qualifying Members at the nearby resort, AluaSun Mediterráneo.

For Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotels in the Asia-Pacific region, and for Hyatt Place hotels in the Europe, Africa, Middle East and Southwest Asia region, Globalists may receive a complimentary daily breakfast offering for each registered guest in the Member’s room, up to two (2) adults and two (2) children. (The age cut-off for a “child” is determined by each hotel in its sole discretion.) What is included varies between each participating Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotel and may not be equivalent to the full daily breakfast described above. Some Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotels may (a) offer complimentary breakfast to all guests or to all Members, in which case Globalists will not receive any additional or substitute benefit, or (b) restrict (in the property’s discretion) the availability of this benefit to Globalists who have associated their membership number with the reservation prior to the time of arrival at the hotel. For information on the availability of and conditions or restrictions on complimentary breakfast for Globalists at a particular Hyatt Place or Hyatt House hotel (or for help determining a particular hotel’s Hyatt-designated region), please contact the applicable hotel directly or a Hyatt Global Care Center. (Please visit hyatt.com for contact information.) Breakfast benefit (where provided) is not valid for in-room dining. Not valid at any property other than Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotels in the regions specified above.

Breakfast benefit is provided following each night of a stay and will not be provided to Globalist Members on the day of check-in for their stay, regardless of how early they are permitted to check-in or whether breakfast is still being served at the applicable hotel or resort at the time they check-in.
The hotel is only required to provide one entreé or standard breakfast buffet, juice, coffee, tax, gratuity, and service charges. Some hotels go above and beyond others don't. The individual hotel threads usually detail which hotels are more apt to provide something more than the minimum. I haven't found it to be tip driven but merely a reflection of what management of a particular hotel chooses to provide.

Also see:
Globalist breakfast benefit...what are we entitled to?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2036342-do-staff-really-receive-gratuity-globalist-breakfasts-5.html
TravelinSperry likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Nov 20, 2023 at 10:15 am
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
In 10 years of Diamond / Globalist status, I have never been charged for breakfast. OK, I'm not normally ordering steaks or champagne, but even when travelling with kids who order far more than they eat, I've never had any indication that it wasn't perfectly fine.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
In 10 years of Diamond / Globalist status, I have never been charged for breakfast. OK, I'm not normally ordering steaks or champagne, but even when travelling with kids who order far more than they eat, I've never had any indication that it wasn't perfectly fine.
I think I've occasionally been charged when ordering something that's not technically part of the breakfast (like, say I get a side in addition to the standard stuff) but most places just comp it off. If I have to pay an extra $5 for an extra side of bacon I don't particularly care.

I would assume that the people who go nuts on the boozy brunches with multiple mimosas or bloody marys or whatever do get charged, but I don't know... I'm not a big drinker. Maybe some hotels are ok with an extra $50 or $100 of booze on the side?
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 12:16 pm
skj
50 Countries Visited3M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Just curious ... What properties are using breakfast vouchers? I can't remember the last time I saw one of those.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 12:24 pm
5 Years on Site

What I’ve found, anecdotally, is that post covid most Hyatt hotels in the US have the front desk system set to reimburse as a dollar amount equal to 2 Adults and 2 Children.

This typically means if you have 3 adults, as long as the check total is reasonable it typically won’t hit the folio even if it’s multiple transactions.

Park Hyatt Aviara was the best example of this happening - the server went to great pains to ensure we had 2 checks, 1 for the benefit and 1 for the overage. Despite signing that second check for $50+ (we had lattes too) only the amount over the 2 adults and 2 children hit the folio.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skj
Just curious ... What properties are using breakfast vouchers? I can't remember the last time I saw one of those.
I believe they were using physical vouchers at Gild Hall (NYC) when I was there last year.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 2:12 pm
50 Countries Visited60 Nights5M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA-Gold, AA-Gold, Hyatt-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by Zenitas
...chance that the more I order, the higher the gratuity that's included with the voucher, thereby benefitting the server more?
This is my experience and assumption as well. When my kids were younger, we were billed as 4 adults buffet. When I point out their ages, I always get a same reply that their meals would be covered at multiple locations.

I think this is all location dependent even with the official rule of 2A+2C. I don't know if life time status has anything to do with this, but we always have 4 breakfasts when we booked with points or cash in just 1 room with suite upgrade cert. Every now and then, "side bacon, muffin" will show up in my bill but it is always removed when we check out. One exception was at Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas, muffin was tasty so that was fine. When I have 2 cash rooms booked for the 4 of us in my name, breakfast coverage extended to my second room as well. I offered my useless club upgrade (club closed) for 2nd room's breakfast perks, they told me it is unnecessary.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 2:18 pm
50 Countries Visited60 Nights5M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA-Gold, AA-Gold, Hyatt-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
HR Grand Cypress a year ago...
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 3:00 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
HR Grand Cypress last month. And they definitely collected them to make sure the numbers were right. We had 2 rooms and I had to ask at check in for vouchers for 8 people in 2 separate vouchers. They were hesitant to give them and the girl said she had to go ask a manager. I said each room got 2 adults and 2 children and due to age differences we were going to eat at separate times. Buffet was great and was open til 11:30.
Also HR Coconut Point earlier this year. Had 3 rooms and 10 of us. But they are super kind and laid back and Ursula had no problems issuing them in 2 bunches.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 3:33 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I've only been charged once, at Alila Napa. Just 2 adults for breakfast, and they were hard line on their $80 max. So stupid for such a high end property in the catalog.

We went over by the like $3, and it showed up on the folio. However their system messed up and they charged us rack rate (cash) when we were on a points redemption. When I emailed them to fix the issue (which they did, promptly), they also removed the $3 breakfast charge, which was so generous of them.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skj
HR San Francisco SOMA/Downtown.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 11:07 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
HR Cambridge uses vouchers and super strict in number. Had to argue with server as he said the amount given didn't include tip. Wasn't pleasant experience

Dream and The Time NY use vouchers. They also use gym vouchers. Annoying.

I find vouchers tacky but i find most travel in US unpleasant.
​​​​​
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 11:08 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by skj
Hyatt Regency La Jolla provides a $35 credit towards breakfast (per person). Seems like a good amount of money to get one entree per the T&Cs... but they did mention this amount when we checked in. We shall see what it provides tomorrow AM.
Old Nov 20, 2023 | 11:32 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
HR Tulsa uses vouchers -

Previously did not cover gratuity, now it does.

As for going over it’s happened a few times where as a family traveling with 2 adults and 2 children we go over, despite ordering just 1 entree, juice, coffee each (only adults for the coffee).

Mainly it seems that the gratuity goes over the limit for some reason despite always writing in “Globalist Gratuity Included” instead of an actual number.

It’s gone over at -

PH Beaver Creek
HR Valencia
HR Westlake Village
HR Orange County
HC Chicago

It doesn’t happen every time just once in awhile. These are the 5 I recall it happening at of the top of my head.

If I had to guess the server manually put in 20% tip when the Glob benefit covers 15% so I paid the extra 5%. I don’t say anything unless it’s a 5 or more night stay and it happens all of the nights. HC Chicago tried to say the benefit doesn’t include gratuity at all that was pre-COVID though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.