Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Suite Inventory Return After Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, National

I currently have a reservation at a PH with cash and a points upgrade to a premium suite ($800 + 9K points) for 5 nights.
The base price for a paid room with points upgrade was $800 + 6K for a junior suite or +9K for premium at the time.

The base price for a paid room with points upgrade is now $680 + 6K for a junior suite. The premium suite is not available for reservation with cash or cash plus upgrade or points.

If I cancel my reservation for the premium suite, how quickly will it go back into inventory? And if I do, it should be for the reduced price of $680 + 9K points, right? Since the base price is set by the current listed price for a Deluxe Room? Anyone have any luck with this, or am I taking a huge risk?
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I often have a similar scenario where I've applied a TSU and the base room rate has gone down. My concierge is normally able to reduce the rate without needing to cancel and re-apply the award.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Lowly Discoverist here, but I suppose I could call and see.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paterwdb
Lowly Discoverist here, but I suppose I could call and see.
Generally inventory goes back in 2 to 24 hours. Definitely no guarantee of getting that rate again though. If the risk justifies the potential reward then do it, if not then don’t.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 11:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I recently cancelled a pts+SUA stay to increase the stay length where our concierge didn't see availability for the new dates.
Suite went back into inventory almost immediately and I was able to rebook via twitter.

But I imagine this will be very property dependent, YMMV type situation
Old Jun 11, 2024, 1:13 pm

Few months ago I canceled my award booking at PH Tokyo. It was a standard king. At the time, that room type was sold out. Out of curiosity, I kept checking to see if/when that room would reappear and it never appeared to go back in inventory… unless it reappeared and got snatched up unbeknownst to me.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 5:59 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Generally inventory goes back in 2 to 24 hours..
this is a weird assumption you are making, and not correct. Having worked in the travel industry for 28 years… if the category is still available for sale, it would normally go back to inventory immediately. If it is oversold, it will not go back. If inventory is „0“: then it depends on the oversale percentage if it goes back or not.

I will not further comment, as I presume you will react in some way and figure out some reason that you are right and I am wrong.
bbbb and john_ft like this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
this is a weird assumption you are making, and not correct. Having worked in the travel industry for 28 years… if the category is still available for sale, it would normally go back to inventory immediately. If it is oversold, it will not go back. If inventory is „0“: then it depends on the oversale percentage if it goes back or not.

I will not further comment, as I presume you will react in some way and figure out some reason that you are right and I am wrong.
Not an assumption it’s based on personal experience with Hyatt. I’m not presuming anything about other hotel chains, just posting my experience specifically with Hyatt.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:29 am
Original Poster

FYI, I did try calling Hyatt and both World of Hyatt and general reservations just said "if we cancel, there's no guarantee, so there's nothing we can do" [unless you want to take the risk].

I asked about calling the property and they said they wouldn't do it because they "don't deal with points upgrades".
evergrn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.