Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotels recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015 | 8:11 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Planning to stay here next weekend. Can't decide if I want city or harbor view. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by TxTrav
Harbor view, high floor.
Preferably facing the Coronado Bridge ...

Above the USS Midway

Or, facing the Coronado

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57649594174057
Old Oct 17, 2015 | 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a wonderful huge one bedroom suite which is one of a few rooms on the same (top) floor as the bar. It's in the tower that's closer to the Sheraton/Marriott and convention center.
Old Dec 31, 2015 | 9:45 pm

What's this place like over NYE? The lounge crazy busy?
Old Feb 9, 2016 | 11:05 am

Has anyone ever stayed at the parlor studio with sofa bed only? Looks like a decent room, except the bed might be uncomfortable
Old Apr 5, 2016 | 12:28 am

Staying here soon for leisure and trying to figure out the best breakfast option. I am Platinum. Should I book a Grand Club room with the complimentary lounge breakfast or book the bed & breakfast package that gives you breakfast in the restaurant? Traveling with a companion, 2 nights. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2016 | 11:58 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by cc0818
Staying here soon for leisure and trying to figure out the best breakfast option. I am Platinum. Should I book a Grand Club room with the complimentary lounge breakfast or book the bed & breakfast package that gives you breakfast in the restaurant? Traveling with a companion, 2 nights. Thanks!
Very nice club lounge but if your just after breakfast, I would book the bed & breakfast package. If you have AAA, check to see if one of the AAA options includes breakfast.
Old May 21, 2016 | 6:12 pm
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed first stay here. The epitome of an utterly soulless convention hotel. Staff was friendly enough, but service, room assignment, and lounge breakfast were just so-so. WiFi highly variable - download ranged from sub-2 mbs to 19 mbs.

I'll need to be in downtown SD semi-regularly for a while and was hoping this would be the place. It won't. Will try Andaz or one of the Hiltons next.
Old May 21, 2016 | 6:20 pm
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just completed first stay here. The epitome of an utterly soulless convention hotel. Staff was friendly enough, but service, room assignment, and lounge breakfast were just so-so. WiFi highly variable - download ranged from sub-2 mbs to 19 mbs.

I'll need to be in downtown SD semi-regularly for a while and was hoping this would be the place. It won't. Will try Andaz or one of the Hiltons next.
Maybe the U S Grant if you're not staying in a Hyatt? It's a historic property with lots of character.

Of the convention hotels lined up along the water, IMO the Manchester Hyatt is the best.
Old May 21, 2016 | 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the U S Grant if you're not staying in a Hyatt? It's a historic property with lots of character. Of the convention hotels lined up along the water, IMO the Manchester Hyatt is the best.
I'd go with the Omni - not as big as the Hyatt, Marriott etc., nice views, very nice rooms, coffee delivered to the door for free in the morning, free internet, sky bridge to Petco Park, trolley stop just around the corner. Nice staff, too.
Old May 21, 2016 | 7:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the U S Grant if you're not staying in a Hyatt? It's a historic property with lots of character.

Of the convention hotels lined up along the water, IMO the Manchester Hyatt is the best.
Ok thanks, good to know.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I'd go with the Omni - not as big as the Hyatt, Marriott etc., nice views, very nice rooms, coffee delivered to the door for free in the morning, free internet, sky bridge to Petco Park, trolley stop just around the corner. Nice staff, too.
Just be sure to get a room that doesn't directly overlook the train tracks. Been there, done that
Old May 21, 2016 | 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Just be sure to get a room that doesn't directly overlook the train tracks. Been there, done that
Right! I live very close to a rail line with freight trains passing at 02:30, so I'm pretty immune.

I think it's the L Street sids that is away from the tracks.
Old May 22, 2016 | 3:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Kacee I'm sorry to hear that
If you are willing to give the property another chance I would oversee your next booking once confirmed and get it to somebody for priority handling
Have had great success here at this property more recently.
Though it’s been an up and down syndrome over the years based on ownership and management changes.
I’ve been staying since the early 90s sometime I believe after the opening!
Good god I am getting old.Any wiser hopefully lol

In fact the hotel has been extremely generous to my family and friends
I don't disagree that the hotel can seem imposing and impersonal when it gets busy. However at the end of the day it’s the best of all Hyatt's in the area
Especially since the sad decline of the Mission Bay property and its club with meager breakfast, daily nuisance fees and
dire make that urgent need for a renovation. Not more nickel and dime fees and cutbacks

The Manchester boasts as you shared previously a reasonably solid team with some standout team members
• The best hotel fitness center Downtown
• Reasonably solid Club Lounge
• Excellent location across the street from The Headquarters home to Eddie Vs( a personal fave) and Seasons 52 and other spots to shop wine or dine in
•Super close to Downtown and the Waterfront without as much noise as the Downtown properties

My advice if you are staying
@ The Manchester and a Diamond reach out to the VIP coordinator on property.They have been fantastic to me and others I have heard from^

The Hilton BayFront
is simply evil don't waste your money or time
and that's coming from someone that likes some of the team members
The views are nice but the fitness center sucks and their stingy Diamond breakfast an insult.
My family member got bitten there in one of their otherwise satisfactory rooms by you know what
Lets just say they are bugs
The worst thing about the horror is they took no ownership of the situation
All denials to protect themselves from liability
The Hilton hotel has great potential but fails on so many levels not even due to what I assume is an isolated issue my family member was exposed too
Old May 22, 2016 | 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Kacee I'm sorry to hear that
If you are willing to give the property another chance I would oversee your next booking once confirmed and get it to somebody for priority handling
Have had great success here at this property more recently.
Though it’s been an up and down syndrome over the years based on ownership and management changes.
I’ve been staying since the early 90s sometime I believe after the opening!
Thanks very much for sharing your perspective and experience, which is certainly much deeper than mine. The property was quite crowded with a medical convention so perhaps that partly explains my impressions. I'll let you know next time I'm booking San Diego . . . .
Old May 23, 2016 | 1:45 am
15 Years on Site

I agree with Kacee's opinion (stayed on Friday)
I think the US Grant is a much better option (stayed on Saturday)

Haven't stayed at the Andaz, but based on the Gaslamp location, no thanks on a weekend night.
Old May 23, 2016 | 8:52 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by op487062
I agree with Kacee's opinion (stayed on Friday)
I think the US Grant is a much better option (stayed on Saturday)

Haven't stayed at the Andaz, but based on the Gaslamp location, no thanks on a weekend night.
Haven't stayed at Andaz either (but heard very mixed reviews love it hate it) but have stayed at the US Grant
Both hotels have/can have noise issues from my own experience and what I have heard/read but for many heavy sleepers and those with ear plugs prob no issue
Monday to Thursday may also be quieter but that is a may
We are in high season in San Diego and the downtown will be hopping with young spirits partying all hours of the night.If this matters request the most quiet room possible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.