Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Beware of nonrefundable award reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:10 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I just had a new experience. I made an award booking at the Hotel Victor in February. I printed out the booking, and on reviewing it, saw that the reservation was nonrefundable. I had blitzed right past that on the confirmation screen.

I was checking on award space before I checked on flights. I didn't want to be pinned to specific dates 5 months in advance. Fortunately, I reached a very good agent who called the rooms manager at the hotel. He agreed to allow me to cancel since the request was made within hours of my booking.

The hotel in question is the Hotel Victor. I worked with the agent to find some dates when I could make a nonbinding award reservation. In doing so, he found several periods when they were binding. I was very surprised to find award space (albeit binding) during the Miami Boat Show.

As an aside, the Victor has no Friday or Saturday night award space available during the window of time I checked. It does have availability during the week. And since it is a resort, it is not bound by the 3 night minimum weekday stay for FFNs.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Is this normal award booking? Or FFN?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
:confused:

Thanks for sharing! This is the first time I've heard of non-refundable award stays. I'll have to make sure I double check the T&C next time I make an award res.

Did you ask the CS agent if this is something specific to Hotel Victor or something that is rolled out through the system?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:40 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I made an points booking, as you cannot book FFN online. I planned to call to switch it to FFN. The agent could have done so, but the terms were the same regardless - nonrefundable. This was the line in the confirmation:

Cancellation Policy: FULL PREPAYMENT AT BOOKING/NON-REFUNDABLE

I've no idea if there are other examples besides the Victor of nonrefundable award bookings.

The agent pointed out (very nicely) that I had two chances to see that it was nonrefundable:

1) Rate plan - if you click a box, whereupon you see it is nonrefundable

2) Below where you enter your credit card, there is a line saying it is nonrefundable.

It was certainly my fault. However, I did point out that Hyatt has its early checkout penalty in red, ensuring that it attracts attention, whereas the nonrefundable statement is the same color/size as the rest of the text.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I made an points booking, as you cannot book FFN online. I planned to call to switch it to FFN. The agent could have done so, but the terms were the same regardless - nonrefundable. This was the line in the confirmation:

Cancellation Policy: FULL PREPAYMENT AT BOOKING/NON-REFUNDABLE

I've no idea if there are other examples besides the Victor of nonrefundable award bookings.

The agent pointed out (very nicely) that I had two chances to see that it was nonrefundable:

1) Rate plan - if you click a box, whereupon you see it is nonrefundable

2) Below where you enter your credit card, there is a line saying it is nonrefundable.

It was certainly my fault. However, I did point out that Hyatt has its early checkout penalty in red, ensuring that it attracts attention, whereas the nonrefundable statement is the same color/size as the rest of the text.
To be completely honest, not only that there is a statement regarding cancellation policy, you actually have to acknowledge it by checking the box at its begining. However, I must admit I have never read the whole thing when making the award res.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

I ran into one of these at the HR Savannah for St. Patrick's Day 2006. IIRC cancellation deadline was Dec. 31/ 2005!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Happened to me once at Beaver Creek. Not only was the points reservation non-refundable, but I there was also a substantial cash penalty.

Park Hyatt Goa had a 60 day non-cancel window when I stayed there in 2006.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 6:51 am

I am rather surprsied to hear that awards can be non-refundable, meaning not cancellable.

How many hyatts fall into this category, do we know?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:32 am

WOW, that is a new twist.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
There are some dates in Sanctuary cove that are absolutely non refundable.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
But can you change them?

Also, be aware that non-shows on award reservations don't lose the points, they charge you for one night, and believe me, it's not at the super duper low corporate negotiated rate.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Just found this policy applies to award reservations at the Hyatt Regency Suites Palm Springs:

Cancellation Policy
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
Just found this policy applies to award reservations at the Hyatt Regency Suites Palm Springs:

Cancellation Policy
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes
Maybe this is just for certain dates. When booking one night in mid July I see:

Cancellation Policy
Cancel 4pm PST 72 Hours Prior To Arrival
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by martyYYZ
Maybe this is just for certain dates. When booking one night in mid July I see:

Cancellation Policy
Cancel 4pm PST 72 Hours Prior To Arrival
Probably - no one wants to go to Palm Springs when it's 115 degrees. My dates were April 13-16, 2012.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Looking at the Park Hyatt Melbourne. Does the rate policy quoted from the Hyatt website mean that if I cancel MORE than 24 hrs prior they still charge me for 1 Night in order to redeposit my points?

Room Description:
PARK KING

Rate Description:
Gold Passport Award
Cancellation Policy:
Cancel 2pm 24hours Prior, One Night Hyatt Daily Rate Chg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.