Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Smile Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

-90,000 I guess?
Let's wait for BA's account...
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:53 am

Minus 90k for me too. My miles were transferred but spent in BA - as per the terms I'd argue. Lets see if they try to claw them back.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by luckyjim
Minus 90k for me too. My miles were transferred but spent in BA - as per the terms I'd argue. Lets see if they try to claw them back.
I’m the same. I’ve used to the Avios as per their T&Cs (transferring them to BA and spending them).

Happy to argue this with them. They added terms to the promo after the fact.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by luckyjim
Your argument is wrong. Good luck...

The extra promotional Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer’s account. The redemption terms and conditions are subject to the general terms and conditions of the Iberia Plus programme.
Avios transfers carried out between the programmes BA Executive Club, the Avios Programme (in the UK), the Iberia Plus Programme and any other programme which may use Avios as currency are not considered movements as they do not involve collection or redemption.
maverick17, nancypants and Lizie like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:12 am

I spent 85000 of the 90000 but transfered my healthy ib+ balance to baec the other day, leaving approx 7k in ib.
Was expecting 5000 to be removed but as of right now the account remains untouched. Exact same situation for my wife.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:15 am

I should add that my baec account is untouched too.
dont think there was any “tagging” of the promo avios.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: 1K , 2MM, UA Club, *G, Admirals Club Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Dumb me. I tried to book online last minute 11/30 and the IP site would not complete.
I called and the agent stated to wait till 7A, Miami time.
90K points zapped away and its 2:42A, PST and the Iberia Avios team is not there.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Why did people wait until the last minute to redeem their Avios?

It has come up repeatedly here on this forum, that the Iberia website is not the best one. With many errors, glitches, frustrations,... etc.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:33 am

Mine is screwed up. My balance says -8,500. I redeemed 95,000 for multiple flights using the promo avios plus some of my own. I think it's because my last redemption was close to 6pm eastern time (midnight in Spain).
noneemac likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:27 am

BA Avios haven't been touched. I managed to protect myself further though by convincing BAEC to delete my old BAEC account, create me a new one and credit the new account with my previous balance. That was only possible because Amex had made an error and not sent my Avios from my BAPP to my existing account, instead creating a new account.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by tobsw
Why did people wait until the last minute to redeem their Avios?

It has come up repeatedly here on this forum, that the Iberia website is not the best one. With many errors, glitches, frustrations,... etc.
I didn't book mine until 23:57 Madrid time but it worked out ok. Of course I was aware I was cutting it fine and at risk of losing all.

I think some people may have been caught out if they thought the deadline to use them was on the 1st December rather than before. Some of the T&C of the promo were very unclear on this crucial point.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:08 am

Points are also negative for redeeming after midnight Madrid time. I had some redemption before midnight and some after, ones before midnight don't have the negative balance only the ones done after midnight.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dilvala
Points are also negative for redeeming after midnight Madrid time. I had some redemption before midnight and some after, ones before midnight don't have the negative balance only the ones done after midnight.
Why on earth would people redeem their points on deadline day? I really don't get that..
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by Granite64
Why on earth would people redeem their points on deadline day? I really don't get that..
+1

And it's not like we had only 7 days to redeem the Avios (ok, some people were in that situation). But if you got them in july... Jesus...
noneemac likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Granite64
Can you really not think of a plausible explanation? Things happen unexpectedly in life. [deleted longer explanation]

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 1, 2018 at 7:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.