Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer at Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
AA check-in at MAD closes 75 minutes before departure, so you have until 12:05 to check in your bag. Realistically, you'd want to be out of baggage claim no later (to the minute) than 11:55.

Baggage can easily take 30 minutes to be delivered in MAD, if not longer. That doesn't leave room for much delay at all (if any), unless you want to stress out completely and don't mind buying a last-minute walkup.

Spanish passports won't help here - the 75min cutoff is the key. And that leaves you with a decent amount of time to get to the gate in T4S regardless of passport.
Thanks for your help! So if I checked in a bag, I need to be at the AA counter before 12:05 at the latest. Got it. My experience picking up luggage in Madrid is between 30-45min, so that would leave me a very tight window of 30 min to get to the desk. If I didn't check in a bag, then I'd just go from T4 to T4S with my boarding pass already in hand, or would I still need to go to the AA check-in desk? I've recently travelled with some airlines -Swiss, Lufthansa, etc- that are doing their documentation checks at the check-in desk and not allowing people to get boarding passes online, and I'm not sure what AA would do.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I have no recent experience with AA at MAD, but I would assume they use VeriFLY which should help enable OLCI.

In any case, I believe AA has a transfer desk in T4S, which is where you should go to do the 'interview'.

If you aren't able to get a BP online, I would recommend going to the landside check-in. You would need to have checked-in 75 minutes before departure, at least, whether landside or airside. It would take you far longer to get from the TFN flight to the AA desk in T4S than it would to walk out through baggage claim, up the lifts, and over to the AA desk. It means an extra go through security, but that isn't too big of a deal. The important thing is getting checked in on time.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: Executive Club
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I had experience of boarding a flight in London where Iberia insisted that everyone check their carry-on bags. So even if you only have carry-on, you can't be 100% sure they will let you carry it on. Having said that, once you have your bag then I think it's about 10 mins maximum from baggage reclaim up to the check-in area in T4. Provided you're not late, it's doable I would say.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:17 pm

I have no recent experience with AA at MAD, but I would assume they use VeriFLY which should help enable OLCI.
Pep0rz should be able to check-in online, but will need to pass a documents check. The last time I did this (October 1st, with a very empty T4S) the check was done at the boarding gate.

I assume that by Christmas there will be more travellers and their usual system (document check at a designated desk before you reach the AA boarding area) will resume.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:03 am

In any case, I believe AA has a transfer desk in T4S, which is where you should go to do the 'interview'.

If you aren't able to get a BP online, I would recommend going to the landside check-in. You would need to have checked-in 75 minutes before departure, at least, whether landside or airside. It would take you far longer to get from the TFN flight to the AA desk in T4S than it would to walk out through baggage claim, up the lifts, and over to the AA desk. It means an extra go through security, but that isn't too big of a deal. The important thing is getting checked in on time.
Thank you for this! What do you mean with "the interview"? (sorry, I haven't taken a transatlantic flight in 10 years, and I want to make sure I'm fully ready for any eventuality on this one -visiting my in-laws for the first time!-)

The rest, all understood. Just downloaded VeriFLY, but I can't use it until about a week prior to the flight. Will I have to stop by any counters if OLCI opens up for me and I get an online BP? In an ideal scenario, I'd just walk straight from my landing gate in T4 to the passport control at T4S and then my gate. Is that feasible at all?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Pep0rz
Thank you for this! What do you mean with "the interview"? (sorry, I haven't taken a transatlantic flight in 10 years, and I want to make sure I'm fully ready for any eventuality on this one -visiting my in-laws for the first time!-)

The rest, all understood. Just downloaded VeriFLY, but I can't use it until about a week prior to the flight. Will I have to stop by any counters if OLCI opens up for me and I get an online BP? In an ideal scenario, I'd just walk straight from my landing gate in T4 to the passport control at T4S and then my gate. Is that feasible at all?
They do a secondary screening to ascertain that you don't have any nefarious motives for boarding a US-bound flight. In most cases it's nothing more than matching your passport to your BP, but they may ask you why you're flying etc. They do or used to do this at LHR for AA as well, either just before checking in at AA's T3 desks or at flight connections if you're connecting from somewhere else.

I've flown MAD-ORD on IB a few times, connecting from FCO, and said screening always occurred at the entrance to a roped-off area where the boarding gates for the flights to the US are located. I'm sure that AA flights leave from the same gates so it's probably where the "interview" will take place if you're flying AA.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by London Dude
They do a secondary screening to ascertain that you don't have any nefarious motives for boarding a US-bound flight. In most cases it's nothing more than matching your passport to your BP, but they may ask you why you're flying etc. They do or used to do this at LHR for AA as well, either just before checking in at AA's T3 desks or at flight connections if you're connecting from somewhere else.

I've flown MAD-ORD on IB a few times, connecting from FCO, and said screening always occurred at the entrance to a roped-off area where the boarding gates for the flights to the US are located. I'm sure that AA flights leave from the same gates so it's probably where the "interview" will take place if you're flying AA.
Thank you for your answer! So, it'd be possible to have such interview 'airside' and not having to go out to the check-in desks. That could make all the difference...
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Pep0rz
Thank you for your answer! So, it'd be possible to have such interview 'airside' and not having to go out to the check-in desks. That could make all the difference...
Correct, as long as you have your BP.

Originally Posted by London Dude
Same idea, different extremity - IB flights to the US tend to go from the high S gates (S45+?), AA flights all tend to be grouped around S1-S8.

Last edited by BA6501; Oct 25, 2021 at 5:30 am Reason: Extremity, not extremely!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.

Same idea, different extremely - IB flights to the US tend to go from the high S gates (S45+?), AA flights all tend to be grouped around S1-S8.
Ah OK, good to know!
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Can anyone update me on the transfer procedure between T4 - T4S?

I used to do it several times a year until 10 years ago, when they had a bus who would collect passengers with onwards boarding passes for gates RSU straight from the back door of the plane to the satellite terminal. Does that still happen?

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering why they are connecting Schengen-Schengen flights from T4-T4S (GVA-MAD-LIS).
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Have a nice and tight 65 minute connection in MAD in about two weeks. I will land in Terminal 1 from BCN and then take off from Terminal 4S for the flight to the US. Any tips or think I should be fine?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Have a nice and tight 65 minute connection in MAD in about two weeks. I will land in Terminal 1 from BCN and then take off from Terminal 4S for the flight to the US. Any tips or think I should be fine?
IMO I don't think you will do this in 65 minutes. You will need to get off the arriving flight (maybe 10 mins) a bus from T1 to T4 (maybe 30 mins including waiting for the bus), then check in (sometimes 30 min lines for check-in), then pass through immigration (sometimes 45 min lines for immigration) and somehow arrive at the departure gate 30 mins before departure.

I would suggest you change your flight or get the train.
London Dude and Deckter like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Originally Posted by JessicaB
IMO I don't think you will do this in 65 minutes. You will need to get off the arriving flight (maybe 10 mins) a bus from T1 to T4 (maybe 30 mins including waiting for the bus), then check in (sometimes 30 min lines for check-in), then pass through immigration (sometimes 45 min lines for immigration) and somehow arrive at the departure gate 30 mins before departure.

I would suggest you change your flight or get the train.
You cannot possibly land into T1 and make it to T4S within 65 minutes.

Either you made a typo - domestic flights from the likes of Air Europa land into T2 FWIW - and are landing into T4 with Iberia, or you need to change your flight.
London Dude likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:12 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by RafKa
Can anyone update me on the transfer procedure between T4 - T4S?

I used to do it several times a year until 10 years ago, when they had a bus who would collect passengers with onwards boarding passes for gates RSU straight from the back door of the plane to the satellite terminal. Does that still happen?

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering why they are connecting Schengen-Schengen flights from T4-T4S (GVA-MAD-LIS).
Sometimes they use T4S to rotate an aircraft from non-schengen. So say the incoming is from Morocco or something. But regardless, no bus and just get the train over and head up the stairs to the M gates prior to passport control.
RafKa likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You cannot possibly land into T1 and make it to T4S within 65 minutes.

Either you made a typo - domestic flights from the likes of Air Europa land into T2 FWIW - and are landing into T4 with Iberia, or you need to change your flight.
Thanks both. No typo…this is what BA allowed me to book. I’ll contact them and see if they will be flexible about me changing flights. On IB’s website they list 150 minutes as MCT for this and that’s Iberia-Iberia…let’s see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.