Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy immigration lines at T4S

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2024 | 2:22 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by agl120854
on June 10 terminal 4 there were at least 50 people at customer service who missed their flights
chuckle warning

skytrax Best Airline Staff in Europe 2024...
#1...Iberia

Old Jun 24, 2024 | 2:36 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver · VY apologist · IB up and coming
How do you reckon that happened?
Old Jun 24, 2024 | 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
All EU passports shall contain fingerprint data with the exception of Ireland, that was granted an exception. Different countries have implemented the new (nowadays not so new) rules at different times, so there may still be EU biometric passports out there without fingerprint data.

https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/po...nt-security_en

On ID cards, the obligation is much more recent (even tough Spain has done it since forever), so there are many more ID cards without fingerprints. Funnily enough, the 2019 regulation for ID cards was declared invalid by the ECJ for using the wrong legal basis, but also ruled that storing fingerprints in ID cards is actually lawful, so it let the regulation stay until 2026, when a new regulation has to be implemented

https://www.euractiv.com/section/dat...-national-ids/
So even if Spain/EU moves to mandating fingerprints for eGates, not having fingerprint data on the TIE should not be a problem as our fingerprint is already on their database, so the eGates will read the passport #, fetch the FP data from the DB, validate/reject with live FP, we shouldn't need to take out our TIEs at all. If the residency status and fingerprint data is shared to EU wide DB then eGates (w fingerprint) should be possible EU wide, is perhaps a happy byproduct of the EES...

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I think they may funnel residents to the same line as under-18 EU citizens. In fact I was told multiple times that I should be using that queue back when I was a permanent resident.
Huh! Will look for this next time. Is it labelled as such? (<18 + PR?)
Old Jun 24, 2024 | 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
chuckle warning

skytrax Best Airline Staff in Europe 2024...
#1...Iberia
Originally Posted by alanw
How do you reckon that happened?
my bad, the best airline staff incudes "front line airline staff service for both the airport and the onboard experience" lol.

the "relevant" category for this thread is "Best Airport Services" - "customer satisfaction with an airline's staff service at its hub airport, including ticketing, check-in, lounges, boarding, transfer and arrivals processes"

#17 IB worldwide but #1 in the west...,lol
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 9:09 am
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Huh! Will look for this next time. Is it labelled as such? (<18 + PR?)
It's just labeled as EU and then the manned booth. It's not labeled for PR and I had one policemen yell at me about it once, but more told me I should be using it. If they say anything just a quick "Me habían dicho para usar esta cola por ser residente" or something like that and it shouldn't be an issue.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 9:35 am

It's just labeled as EU and then the manned booth. It's not labeled for PR and I had one policemen yell at me about it once, but more told me I should be using it. If they say anything just a quick "Me habían dicho para usar esta cola por ser residente" or something like that and it shouldn't be an issue.
But the airport staff "triages" nonEUs away, ignore them?
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 2:57 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

But the airport staff "triages" nonEUs away, ignore them?
Yes, I would just flash my residence card at them and that was fine.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2024 | 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I can't recall seeing these "under 18" lines at T4S - where are they (in both departures and arrivals)?

Only recollection I have is, at Arrivals, all EU now go right to the e-gates and I don't recall seeing a -18 line there nor around the corner?
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 7:59 am
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by BA6501
I can't recall seeing these "under 18" lines at T4S - where are they (in both departures and arrivals)?

Only recollection I have is, at Arrivals, all EU now go right to the e-gates and I don't recall seeing a -18 line there nor around the corner?
I'll be through next week and see if I can snap a photo
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 6:24 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Yes, I would just flash my residence card at them and that was fine.
A friend tried this but was told to go to NonEU queue with his British passport.
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 11:48 am
30 Countries Visited500k10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Was there was last Sunday. Absolute chaos. Was on 2 different PNRs with 3 hours between arrival and departure. Took over 30 minutes to get through passport control, another half an hour for luggage to come out, 30 minutes to check in since no priority queue for UK and Africa departure clubbed together for 2 check in desks, and another 45 minutes to get back through passport control and take train to 4S and just about got to the gate 5 mins before boarding.
Last time we were there in February 24, it was a breeze but this time it was unpleasant.
LupineChemist likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 12:25 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by marconess
A friend tried this but was told to go to NonEU queue with his British passport.
The private security aren't the police. I used to have that and I would just insist that the police had told me to use that queue (which had the advantage of being the truth).

If questioning it, just ask the officer next time through the regular queue (note that all this should be done in Spanish) and they should just say so and then you have orders from the people actually running the show.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 12:41 pm

The private security aren't the police. I used to have that and I would just insist that the police had told me to use that queue (which had the advantage of being the truth).

If questioning it, just ask the officer next time through the regular queue (note that all this should be done in Spanish) and they should just say so and then you have orders from the people actually running the show.
Will have to try this since both on arrival and exiting, was told to use the non EU lane only with our British Passport!!!
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dselvan
30 minutes to check in since no priority queue for UK and Africa departure clubbed together for 2 check in desks
the business/status counters are for all departures and there's even a mini OWE section

Originally Posted by Dselvan
Will have to try this since both on arrival and exiting, was told to use the non EU lane only with our British Passport!!!
we were talking about folks with residency
chacor likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 3:13 pm

[QUOTE=csycsycsy;36342088]the business/status counters are for all departures and there's even a mini OWE section

Could not find it and Iberia staff told me to go to the main counter. Where is this area?
Could come in handy next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.