Wiki Posts
Search

MAD-BCN route Iberia or Air Europa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: ,starwood gold, fairmont premier,Aeromexico Platino
MAD-BCN route Iberia or Air Europa?

Which airline should i pick to fly these route? Pricing is pretty similar.
Never flown them before.

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT; 1MM
If pricing is roughly the same, and you don't have a preference for earning miles in Oneworld vs. Skyteam, then I would choose Iberia just for the frequency. Their schedule between MAD and BCN is almost hourly all day and evening so if your flight is late or cancelled, another one will get you there at almost the same time. It is such a short flight that on-board food, seat pitch or entertainment don't really matter.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold VY apologist
On the other hand, IB will leave from T4 at MAD, which is not nearly as convenient as the UX flights.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT; 1MM
The Metro station in T-4 is now open I believe, so if coming from the city, it is just as convenient to reach as the other terminals. You can even check your luggage at Nuevo Ministerios station.

OTOH if the OP is connecting from a flight in T1/2/3, then definitely easier to stay within those terminals and go to BCN on Spanair or Air Europa.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: ,starwood gold, fairmont premier,Aeromexico Platino
Originally Posted by brettyokom
The Metro station in T-4 is now open I believe, so if coming from the city, it is just as convenient to reach as the other terminals. You can even check your luggage at Nuevo Ministerios station.

OTOH if the OP is connecting from a flight in T1/2/3, then definitely easier to stay within those terminals and go to BCN on Spanair or Air Europa.
Good to know that the metro is open all the way to T4. I will be coming from the city.

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If price is your main criterion, don't forget to check Vueling. They tend to be cheaper.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitchdew
Good to know that the metro is open all the way to T4. I will be coming from the city.

Thanks!
One word: AVE (Spanish high speed train, started operating Madrid Atocha - Barcelona Sants 20 Feb., 2h38m travel time.)

www.renfe.es
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold VY apologist
Hah. Twice now, in the last two weeks, it's been completely sold out when I wanted to buy a ticket one or two days in advance.

IB is offering double points on the shuttle. I think the AVE is going to be a big success. Or already is.

In my case, I live equidistant between the Barcelona and Tarragona stations, so I can drive to Tarragona. The parking there is free, the tolls cost less, and there's never any worry about hitting traffic 2km before the airport exit. No security hassle. And in first class on the train, you have a much-more comfortable seat and cabin, food equivalent to what they feed you in business on the flight, and a working 3G connection the whole way. Then you arrive in the center of Madrid and don't have to take an 18€ taxi from the airport. Total trip time from my house to the center of Madrid is almost exactly the same, but the train is totally stress-free and you can spend the time working instead of standing in line after line. Oh, and it costs about 1/3 less than the JK "Y-UP" equivalent.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanw
Hah. Twice now, in the last two weeks, it's been completely sold out when I wanted to buy a ticket one or two days in advance.

IB is offering double points on the shuttle. I think the AVE is going to be a big success. Or already is.

In my case, I live equidistant between the Barcelona and Tarragona stations, so I can drive to Tarragona. The parking there is free, the tolls cost less, and there's never any worry about hitting traffic 2km before the airport exit. No security hassle. And in first class on the train, you have a much-more comfortable seat and cabin, food equivalent to what they feed you in business on the flight, and a working 3G connection the whole way. Then you arrive in the center of Madrid and don't have to take an 18€ taxi from the airport. Total trip time from my house to the center of Madrid is almost exactly the same, but the train is totally stress-free and you can spend the time working instead of standing in line after line. Oh, and it costs about 1/3 less than the JK "Y-UP" equivalent.
Great first hand info. ^

Hasn't AVE been running Tarragona - Madrid for a while? It was only the Barcelona - Tarragona leg that just opened, no? How many trains are non-stop Barcelona - Madrid and don't stop at Tarragona? Do you feel as if there are a lot less options for you? What is the time Tarragona - Madrid?

Sorry, lot's of questions, but I'm very curious about the new service.

EDIT TO ADD: Cool video about the new service located at http://www.renfe.es/video.html. Minimal text in Castilian only.

Last edited by BenjaminNYC; Feb 29, 2008 at 7:23 am
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Why not consider Spanair? (*A). Usually excellent fares & a nice change to the Iberia.

I would recommend Vueling however.

On a sector like this, I would just choose the cheapest fare since the service is pretty much identical. If your tied to any alliances then fly them...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
I'll recomend you UX if you're going to the city. T4 is not as convenient as the T2. Though Iberia has lots of frecuencies a day and UX just a few (5 I think)
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyboy777
Why not consider Spanair? (*A)
AVE

Originally Posted by heramato
I'll recomend you UX if you're going to the city.
AVE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.