Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Bad is Iberia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

How Bad is Iberia?

My husband and I are booked on Iberia, using AA miles, MIA-ZRH R/T, with, of course, a change of planes in MAD. We've never flown this ailrine before but liked the fact that it went directly from MIA to Europe. We hate to do the connection in JFK. And it was the only airline we could get to use our points on for this summer.

Now I am reading some reviews that tell me Iberia is the worst airline in the world!!. I have read that they are rarely on time, have poor onboard service, etc etc. And I see from this website that someone just got stuck in the states and may miss a cruise because Iberia cancelled a flight and didn't rebook them on another airline.

Are there any good stories about Iberia? Should we reconsider using this airline? Will we get any better service should there be a cancellation or delay because we are using AA miles and I am AA Gold?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott TE, Hhonors Dia
There are many different opinions about Iberia here. I've taken them many times and had a problem only once, when a ORD-MAD flight was late and I missed my connection to ARN. I was rerouted, no big deal. But there are some horror stories, primarily with problems with the MAD ground staff.

Their A340's are fine, the on-board service is ok but not enthusiastic, the food and wine are pretty good, and the IFE is fair. I think the MAD airport is reasonable for transfers.

Your AA status may help a bit if there are problems, but I wouldn't count on it.

My advice is to stick with what you got. I've got my own horror stories with BA and AF, so be careful about making a decision based on a few people's experiences. I take Iberia regularly, and intend to do so in the future.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been a good decade since I last flew IB (as there are always Skyteam alternatives for my flights), so I'll refrain from posting an opinion about the airline. In any event, do make sure that you visit the lounge at MAD. Almost a destination in itself. ^
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold VY apologist
If you're talking about horror stories here on FT, it seems that most of those are either squeaky wheels, infrequent travelers with little basis for comparison, or "do you know who I am" types who didn't get upgraded when they waved their silver card and decided it was "the worst airline in the world".

As someone who flies them frequently, and has for the last four years, I can tell you that they're just fine - pretty typical for a European airline. The planes are clean, newer A340s, the brand new terminal in Madrid is beautiful and easy to connect in, and service is just polite and professional. Note that in general, customer service in Spain is considered good when you got what you paid for and were treated respectfully. Don't expect fake smiles, forced sweetness, or any special fawning because of your status.

Enjoy your flight. You'll be fine.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:57 pm

AA Gold helps a little on Iberia

When I checked in at JFK as an AA Gold, they gave me priority boarding, and seemed more willing to help me pick a better seat in coach. Their ground staff at MAD was, as others have said, not much help, but their ground staff at NCE was superb! They more than made up for the lack of help on seat selection in Madrid. Gold got priority boarding everywhere.

Changing at Madrid was fairly easy, although there were some long walks, and at one point, I got lost due to bad signage. But after about 100 meters in the wrong direction, I spotted a better sign and got back to where I needed to be.

Terminal in MAD was new and very nice. (I forget the number, but IB is in the new terminal.)

The connecting flight on Air Nostrum (Iberia's regional carrier) was excellent. Their service was very nice, and the CR900 was very comfortable.

Last edited by adzel; Feb 15, 2008 at 3:59 pm Reason: reword one thing
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: IB Platinum, LH FF, JK Gold, FB Plat, PC Plat/IC Amb, Hertz #1 PC
IB's coach is old style, I mean no AVOD or personal screen so take same reading for return flight...

An advice ZRH is served from T4S building which is the same where you arrive so don't follow the crowd after passport control and go to RSU gates in the same building with their own Xray inspection...so very easy and quick connection. If you are emerald or sapphire go to the lounge take a shower and relax...there are some beds to recover a little bit....
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I did my first flights on Iberia last week, and expected the worst. The route was GVA-MAD-AGP (Mlaga) and back. On the contrary, they were very good. Service was professional and courteous, the aircraft were clean, and the flights really smooth with little noise - MD87 and MD88 aircraft.

It felt safe, and the flights were bang on time, which is good, because I really needed to get back on time. The walks are long at the new terminal at MAD, no bad thing after sitting on a plane, but not so funny if your connection is tight.

The only thing I didn't like was the pay-as-you go food service, something I hate on traditional carriers that offer a hub system network. It was expensive and poor quality, soggy sandwiches, junky muffin, and dreadful Nescaf coffee. Few passengers availed themselves of the service. Bars and food outlets at MAD seemed surprisingly reasonable for an airport.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
IB is usually a very pleasant experience, especially in J and in Y on flights served by their subsidiary AirNostrum. However, their MAD-ZRH is mainline, thus you have to pay for food in Y. But otherwise everything is fine. Usually they are very punctual, last time I had 10 minutes delay and they apologized several times ...

Their new Terminal is even very nice, especially as you can stay within the satelite T4S when transfering from MIA to ZRH. The lounge is very nice, but even if you are not entiteled to go to the lounge, there are nice cafes and shops.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
So is catering free of charge on Air Nostrum? I don't think they operate under their own designator, do they?

Is it the same situation as Rgional is with Air France, a franchise operating regional routes? Rgional is awful, and I would choose another carrier over them. Air France themselves are pretty good, I think.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 1:58 pm
Formerly known as WChiCC

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, MGM Rewards Pearl, World of Hyatt Discoverist
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Concerto
So is catering free of charge on Air Nostrum? I don't think they operate under their own designator, do they?

Is it the same situation as Rgional is with Air France, a franchise operating regional routes? Rgional is awful, and I would choose another carrier over them. Air France themselves are pretty good, I think.
Yes, catering is free on Air Nostrum. It's actually a really nice regional airline, since they consider themselves Regional Business Class for the whole plane. People usually think it's better than Iberia mainline. I had a good experience overall with Iberia (business class on award redemption), except they wouldn't let me use my iPod on the Air Nostrum flight from MAD to PSA.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I hear business class is very good, if you can upgrade.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: IB plus Platinum, JK Gold, BAEC Silver, LH Senator, PC Platinum Ambassador
Business Class will be a good experience, in coach class dont expect too much... as service is standard.

Take the advantage of Madrid Velazquez VIP lounge if you FF card allow you to entry, very nice "lounge".

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your comments and advice. I feel much better now about Iberia.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Just to piggy back a little, how about transfer from term 4S in MAD to term 4 to go on to FCO? We are in business and have not been to MAD or flown Iberia before. Landing out of ORD in MAD at 0745, dep at 0900 to FCO.

Please provide details if possible. IE, get off plane go ... passport control?? then ... ????

We do the reverse going home, with a bit more time and a bit later in the morning.

Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:05 am
Formerly known as WChiCC

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, MGM Rewards Pearl, World of Hyatt Discoverist
After you get off the plane you will go through passport control, down a number of escalators (or elevator) and hop on the tram to T4. Then you will re-clear security to get to your connecting gate. It didn't take me too long, but I tried to walk ahead of the crowd, which is easy if you are in BusinessPlus from ORD because they hold back economy to let you off first.

Add: You will not need to touch your checked luggage.

Last edited by PaulH2S; Feb 28, 2008 at 9:14 am Reason: see add

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.