Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI overflying Russia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2024 | 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb AI overflying Russia

This unscheduled landing caught my eye: https://apple.news/AMFdI6JvjRh2CK2ZQzrIKAw . According to the article, this is the second such unscheduled visit to Russia in a little over a year. Politics aside… I am guessing that if one of these unscheduled landings results in a need for parts and maintenance, AI may be SOL, seeing as Russia is under embargo and Russian airlines have been cannibalizing their own aircraft for parts. That poses an interesting risk for AI and any other airline overflying Russia these days: Their airplane may get stuck there until the embargo is lifted, and by then it will likely be scrap.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 8:55 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Many emergency landings happen in airfields where parts aren't readily available. If that's the case the airline usually flies the parts there on their own or partner aircraft.

If flying in parts to fix your own plane is against US sanctions... then India should ignore those just as they have the rest of the sanctions against Russia.
Old Jul 18, 2024 | 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M2M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Another airline to cross off my list. No way I as an American would I want to risk being stuck in the middle of Russia! The only thing worse would be Iran.
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
30 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: LH SEN
AI never stopped using the polar route, they also have service to Moscow. If an aircraft goes AOG in Russia, Iran, North Korea et al the relevant US department issues a sanctions waiver to allow the required parts & tools to be flown into the airport so the aircraft can be fixed and flown out. American citizens are usually not inconvienienced in any way during such incidents, this is covered by conventions for sea/air pax in distress.
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 3:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
30 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: LH SEN
Like any serious airline, AI had a diversion plan in place and the pax have been handled well so far. The relief crew and technicians are also on their way from BOM on AI 1179:

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIC1179/3638af96

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../111849890.cms

Last edited by oliver2002; Jul 19, 2024 at 3:52 am
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If an aircraft goes AOG in Russia, Iran, North Korea et al the relevant US department issues a sanctions waiver to allow the required parts & tools to be flown into the airport so the aircraft can be fixed and flown out.
I did not know that. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 1:29 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
As usual some passengers are dumb. I read that one lady was complaining that her medications and clothes were in the checked baggage,
Some are complaining that they are not in a hotel. Be thankful that the Pilots exercised proper caution and landed safely.
Today, thousands of people are on the fllor at airports all over the world due to the system going down.

A relief flight from India landed at KJA and is 2.5 hours in the journey to SFO at 19:30 UTC.

Maybe the flight may get further delayed if the lady without her medication has a problem.
Old Jul 20, 2024 | 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Brahmin
As usual some passengers are dumb. I read that one lady was complaining that her medications and clothes were in the checked baggage,
Some are complaining that they are not in a hotel. Be thankful that the Pilots exercised proper caution and landed safely.
Today, thousands of people are on the fllor at airports all over the world due to the system going down.

A relief flight from India landed at KJA and is 2.5 hours in the journey to SFO at 19:30 UTC.

Maybe the flight may get further delayed if the lady without her medication has a problem.
People don't really need a reason to complain. Its just human nature.

Was flying back to DEL yesterday from a small airport & everything was delayed because of the Microsoft/CrowdStrike issue. There were a bunch of passengers taking out their frustrations on the airport staff for the delay & 2 in particular were extremely obnoxious. There was nothing anyone could do but that didn't stop these 2 passengers from going on & on for hours. The flight finally arrived & left 4 hours late & I made it back home safe & sound.
Old Jul 20, 2024 | 8:58 am
20 Years on Site

The stranded plane is back in BOM.

AI worked efficiently in sending a relief plane to take the delayed passengers to SFO and also in bringing the plane back.
Old Jul 23, 2024 | 10:00 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
I think this was finally a win for AI... they handled the situation very well.. .both the logistics and customer experience. Especially since the last time their plane had an SFO plane had an emergency landing in Russia. Wonder if this was the same aircraft!

Full refunds plus (???) flight vouchers for passengers... finally something learned from SQ... on what's bare minimum customer treatment.
Old Jul 23, 2024 | 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M2M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It is not a win for the passengers, who were left stranded in the terminal without luggage due to a faulty smoke detector. I would not consider it a win to receive a refund + a tiny voucher after this type of experience.

Anybody who has half a brain will instead take a carrier that does not overfly Russia with shoddy planes. I'd rather have a longer flight than be subject to this hell.
Old Jul 24, 2024 | 12:46 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Boraxo
It is not a win for the passengers, who were left stranded in the terminal without luggage due to a faulty smoke detector. I would not consider it a win to receive a refund + a tiny voucher after this type of experience.
Ummm... I never said it's a win for the passengers. Obviously, they've had to suffer... and for those who were flying with important/tight schedules and deadlines... a voucher obviously isn't enough. But it was a win for AI... I guess practice makes perfect. They managed the technicians, backup plane, PR etc.etc. very well this time for a change.

Anybody who has half a brain will instead take a carrier that does not overfly Russia with shoddy planes.
All millions of us half brained people are quite happy flying over Russia every year... mainly because we don't care who America is having a hissy fit about this week. We would much rather save the time, fuel, costs and other resources in getting to our destination quickly. If 200 people have to suffer once every few years for it... vs. making millions who fly this route have to... I'm all for it.

As for shoddy planes... I'm far more concerned about the maintenance of planes whose tires fall off as they are taking off, or whose engines catch fire every few weeks... or who have a software issue one day and cannot get up and running for the next 2 months. Those things are a little more worrisome than a faulty smoke detector.

I'd rather have a longer flight than be subject to this hell.
That is the advantage of being a full brain... you can choose those flights.
srimath, RanChin and ark101 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2024 | 4:35 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold

Anybody who has half a brain will instead take a carrier that does not overfly Russia with shoddy planes. I'd rather have a longer flight than be subject to this hell.
There are other airlines which have to land in remote airports with the same predicament. I guess you are upset that AI is overflying Russia while others cannot. AI has handled these situations very well, much better than a diversion in a non-remote "Western" countries. I once had a United flight land in St. Johns for some fuel issue, and was stuck for about 12 hours and this is at a location which has facilities. It is not just AI, all Middle East airlines also overfly Russia routinely.
Old Jul 26, 2024 | 9:45 pm
20 Years on Site

There must have been a lot of USA citizens in that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.